Why are fans so rude and immature?

Ok, I have now read this entire thread... and (pre-emptively) I am saying goodbye for a bit, since I am sure I will get banned for what I am about to post...

Are you all ####### KIDDING me? You are slamming on DapperPoet for being proud of his son? REALLY? News flash... last year BD and Crown were head and shoulders above the rest of the corps. I HATED BD's show the first few times I saw it (and I am a huge BD fan). Further, a good friend of mine had a kid marching Crown. SO, I was very Crown-biased to start the year. And they had the show to win, but they didn't get clean enough.

BD's show grew on my fairly quickly, and, believe it or not, THIS "dinosaur" (I am 43) ended up LOVING BDs show.

So, to all you people who are criticizing DapperPoet for somehow being a bad parent... #### YOU!

One of the things that I have taught my kids from day ONE is that whatever anyone else thinks of you is meaningless ########. That said, I have ALSO told them that you stand your ground when you believe in what you do. For a WORLD CHAMPION age out (22 years old) to say FYWW on his personal Facebook page is really no different than some sports kids (or fan) to say "Scoreboard" when you win a rivalry game. Blue Devils last year were AMAZING. If it wasn't your cup of tea, that's cool. Crown was AMAZING as well, but apparently not quite enough to win some points. I marched a show that people really didn't like back in the day, but you know what? I am VERY proud of that show to this day. These are the things that drum corps SHOULD be teaching our kids... Do your best. Don't Suck. Believe in what you are doing, even if no one else believes in you.

This site seems to love to trumpet the "it's a Youth Activity" ########, but they never actually stand by those ideas. It is MUCH easier to stand behind your show if it's a "crowd favorite", that job is MUCH harder if it is not.

I simply am SICK of the idiots on this place (and other places) who think that they speak for the masses. ProTip: It's marching band. Support the kids, don't support the kids, it doesn't matter. They are ALL having the time of their lives. (I can comfortably say this, since corps are not run like they were back in the day. I personally know MANY members of the 83-87 Cadets, and they rarely had decent food. I am sure the 25th place corps this year eats better than I did in 1989).

Every kid who goes out on that field this summer has already won. But to boo, or to otherwise disparage one corps or another is amateur, petty, ########. If you don't like them, get a hot dog. Don't cheer. Leave before the encore. But don't get upset when your displays of petty crap get met with things like "FYWW". You can't have it both ways.

Wow. I guess something touched a nerve. I would love to say "see you later", but I don't know that I will be back. I hope that all the kids have a great summer, and I really don't give a #### who wins. (By the way, at this point, I like Crown better than BD!)

Anyway, PEACE OUT!

• Like 5

I'm not sure I completely understand your point... those two things aren't mutually exclusive. When you perform in (and learn to LOVE) a show that is dark and dissonant, and others don't seem to get it, it is vindication when the judges give you credit anyway.

Are you assuming that a show that is dark and played with dissonant musical arrangements and perhaps is disliked is because the listener didn't " seem to get it". Did it occur to you that perhaps there are lots of people that " get " dark shows, with dissonance, but they simply don't like it if its presented in a manner that is unappealing to them ? I don't pretend to speak on behalf of anyone else. but there are lots of things in the performing Arts that I " get ", but that I still find unappealing despite getting it. I don't believe I am alone in this regard. If you love what you are performing and the judges do as well, then why would you care if the audience did not like a show that proper preparation would have told you would not be enjoyed by a lot of people in coast to coast audiences ? While winning is neat and all, and I certainly do not discount its enormous pleasures and sense of attainment, I could never personally feel satisfied if many in the national audience is confused, disappointed, dismayed, frustated, or angry with my Corps performance. That would leave me with the ultimate sense of non fulfillment. But thsts just me here talking, not you. You loved your show, loved your placement and the audience response was of unconcern to you as the other things overrode this. And thats cool. I sincerely respect you for this personal priority. But when I Performed in Corps, I needed the audience roar of approval. It went right to my bones and their approval... the audiences not the judges... was all I ever needed to make the practice and sweat all worth it. But everybody is different, and thats something I " get " as well.

I wish Michael Boo was more Simon and less Paula. But he has a job to do for DCI and that would be bad.

This. A million times this.

Comes with the territory. If they're so weak that something like that would send them from the field in tears, then they probably need to toughen up.

C'mon, cut it out with that "toughen up" baloney. They're out there sleeping on floors and putting in 18 hour days, just like you did back when you were a BigBadMadMan. I'm certain they're tough enough. They shouldn't have to listen to knuckleheads booing from the stands as a character-building exercise.

It's not about toughness, or artsy-fartsy versus give-the-people-what-they-want, or feel-good PC crapola, or any of that stuff. It's about civility - simple respect for the collective efforts of all the performers, not just the ones we like or thought should have won. Toughen up? Maybe it's time for some folks to grow up.

Fred O.

• Like 2

One of the things that I have taught my kids from day ONE is that whatever anyone else thinks of you is meaningless ########. That said, I have ALSO told them that you stand your ground when you believe in what you do.

Not that you'll read this, but: what would you say if your kids felt strongly that someone else's drum corps show was "meaningless ###"? That is to say: should audience members who hate BD's show "stand their ground" and boo, or not?

This site seems to love to trumpet the "it's a Youth Activity" ########, but they never actually stand by those ideas.

Actually, opinions on these forums are split between those who emphasize DCI's youth-orientation, and those who claim that, particularly because DCI has advertised itself as "major league", that expectations and standards ought to be the same as for any top tier sporting activity. (I haven't tried to figure out how members of those two schools of thought fell out as regards DP's son.)

I find it hard to believe a design team would have no idea their product's gonna be booed. You've all said how smart and thoughtful and hard working they all are. So, if you are knowingly going to put a show on the field that's full stuff a crowd generally doesn't like (and there's ample precedence out there for a design staff to know full well what will and will not appeal to a generic crowd), and then pretend to be surprised and shocked and outraged when booing occurs....... I'm not buying it. So, designers, if you don't want "the kids" to be booed, and no one can stop people from booing, then stop putting those kinds of shows on the field. Otherwise..... stop complaining about it. Parents, yeah you have every right to complain. Staffs, nope.

My sentiments precisely, HockeyDad. :withstupid:

It's not about toughness, or artsy-fartsy versus give-the-people-what-they-want, or feel-good PC crapola, or any of that stuff. It's about civility - simple respect for the collective efforts of all the performers, not just the ones we like or thought should have won. Toughen up? Maybe it's time for some folks to grow up.

Fred O.

What was the percentage of audience goers that booed the results in Stanford, Calif. ?From reading this thread and not knowing any better, one would think that at least half the crowd there in California wwas booing or otherwise displaying uncivil behaviors. But is this true ? What if the percentage of booers was less than 10% in this show in California ? If so, might we be overreacting to this ? Booing is bad. I get that. But hiow about some perspective here ?

Also, can we all agree here that any time staff designers, or MM's, or Parents, or Alums have to blame audiences in the Performing Arts for something that we really are in decline ? I mean honestly. There was hardly anybody in the stands there in Akron, Ohio for the 6 Corps show that was taken to the movie theatres. That not good. Thats not good at all. Not when movie audiences can see such a sparse crowd there in Ohio. Now we have people criticizing the ones that still remain faithful and still show up. Thats not good either. If people arn't giving 3 simultaneus ovations during shows for many corps like they used to, its easy to blame the audiences for that. But is the audience REALLY at fault here ? How so ? Its estimated that ( for example ) the DCI defending Champion Blue Devils Drum Corps will perform before 300,000 people this summer. If the BD show does not entertain many of these 300,000 people, it would be most unfortunate to blame the audience from coast to coast for this tepid audience reception. It only means we can expect more of the same in the future, but perhaps before even smaller audiences in the future. One thing we know for certain is that no entertainer or performing group can long continue to alienate large segments of their audience no matter how talented the ensemble is. Thats not a roadmap for the future success of the enterprise we call Drum Corps at all. We need " changes " all right. Thats because when we are fighting now over audiences behaviors,... and before smaller audiences these days now to boot... we have to acknowledge that DCI has gone off the track a bit now. And primarily blaming the paying customer for this is misplaced fault, imo.

Edited by BRASSO