Why are fans so rude and immature?

OMG, had you people been there for Madison 71, you would understand that todays's BOOS are nothing compared to 71.

Now feel free to go back to your gouda and crackers with a nice Pinot Noir and ##### about us who have lived, eaten and crapped this activity from the stone age. I'll be eating a big fat ham and cheese po boy and telling people....hey look at THAT ahole missing the show because of all their pissing and moaning.

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

• Like 1

what ever it is it is..corps decide how they want to be judged ( or try to ) one writes to the sheets ( if thats where their focus is or where they want it to be )

agree.

but then when attendance slowly but surely keeps dropping, I don't want to hear them ##### about how they need more money

agree.

but then when attendance slowly but surely keeps dropping, I don't want to hear them ##### about how they need more money

agree....

although I personally believe there are way more reasons for decline than what sometimes is focused on. JMO

Interesting. I was there too and did not hear any booing after any of the performances. (And I have never heard any booing after or during ANY performance EVER. But I digress.)

There was definitely a loud outburst after CC's score was announced. Clearly, it was the judging that was at issue, not the "kids" or the corps. And after all, it was BD's home show for crying out loud. A California crowd!

After the booing died down, I noticed an elderly woman near the top of the stadium yelling "Tell the judges to go home!" as she left the stadium in disgust.

Me? I did not boo, but I know I reacted vocally and spontaneously. And I tend to be a BD homer -- they have been my favorite corps most years. But at this point, and for the first time ever, I prefer CC over BD.

I look at it this way... DCI likes to tout itself as a "sport" and "marching music's major league" or whatever. And so fans will get vocal when they feel the judges and refs make bad calls. DCI is the big time. Gotta take the bad with the good. Go to a USC/UCLA, Michigan/Ohio State, etc. football game. Roughly the same age of "kids" down on the field, but do we get concerned that we might make the kids on the opposing team feel bad if the crowd boos a bad call? I think it's just par for the course when your activity is at such a high level of excellence.

• Like 3

Interesting. I was there too and did not hear any booing after any of the performances. (And I have never heard any booing after or during ANY performance EVER. But I digress.)

There was definitely a loud outburst after CC's score was announced. Clearly, it was the judging that was at issue, not the "kids" or the corps. And after all, it was BD's home show for crying out loud. A California crowd!

After the booing died down, I noticed an elderly woman near the top of the stadium yelling "Tell the judges to go home!" as she left the stadium in disgust.

Me? I did not boo, but I know I reacted vocally and spontaneously. And I tend to be a BD homer -- they have been my favorite corps most years. But at this point, and for the first time ever, I prefer CC over BD.

I look at it this way... DCI likes to tout itself as a "sport" and "marching music's major league" or whatever. And so fans will get vocal when they feel the judges and refs make bad calls. DCI is the big time. Gotta take the bad with the good. Go to a USC/UCLA, Michigan/Ohio State, etc. football game. Roughly the same age of "kids" down on the field, but do we get concerned that we might make the kids on the opposing team feel bad if the crowd boos a bad call? I think it's just par for the course when your activity is at such a high level of excellence.

I agree with this too. I don't boo the judges. And just like you said, some 17-22 year olders playing high school and college sports are booed and called every profane name under the sun and oftentimes from the moment they exit the team bus that entered the stadium parking lot. And sometimes, if they don't like your performance these fans calling you the nasties might even be your OWN team and school's fans. Booing in Drum Corps is rare and when it occurs its almost without exception directed at the referees,ie the DCI judges. In college sports the 20 year old QB can be unmercifully booed by his own school's classmates, fans, and older alums, some in their 50's and 60's and older. Parents, friends of such 20 year olders subjected to a hail of as many as 50,000 booers and f bomb throwers of profanity in the stadium learn to take it all in stride. If they came on here and read this thread they'd wonder what the fuss is all about re. a few marching band ( Drum Corps ) fans booing the refs call in a football stadium competition comprised of marching bands ( Drum Corps, to us ). They'd think it mild as can be and that we're an overly sensitive and quirky lot.

Edited by BRASSO

If I have one bad thing to say about any show its CC. Out of the 11 1/2 - 12 minutes of the show, how much did the brass play? They spent the first couple minutes dancing towards their horn while a voice over read, what sounded very much, like a bedtime story. Later they proceeded to lay on their stomachs while wiggling their feet. Remember last year during BD's Dada show...how many of you complained about the narration? . . .I've seen some comments about CC's narration, some bad but mostly good. So, when CC sits there and narrates practically an entire show, it's ok. But if BD does it... OMG that is so ridiculous! The fans are the ridiculous ones here.

Several issues to address in the above quoted portions of your post. First of all is the bolded part. It is obvious from that statement that you did not pay attention to Crown's show at all. Yes, there is (bad) narration during the ballad. Spoken voice is used in other places such as during the drum feature, and the pre-show (you know, where they were dancing towards their horns). Saying they spoke over the entire show is nothing more than hyperbole. If anything BD's use of spoken voice was more constant during their show in 2012. Since it was more pervasive I was eventually able to tune it out, and just enjoy the performance.

As far as wiggling their feet . . that was during the percussion feature, which is not a time that horns typically play. Years back the brass would just march around when it was percussion only. That started changing sometime in the mid80s when Spirit started adding extensively choreographed horn moves during their drum solos. Then in the early 90s there was a corps, from Indiana I think, that had their entire corps doing body movement, even when they were playing.

I understand your strong feelings towards the perceived slight of the corps in which your offspring marches. However, that is not an excuse for the tone of your original post. You, and the vast majority of people on this forum, should think about what you have written before clicking on 'add reply'. I think that would go a long way towards restoring civility on DCP.

• Like 1

Wow I almost made another comment here about my opinions, but this thread has kinda turned toxic. Not trying to get into an online fight with some of my friends' parents.

• Like 1

. While booing a placement is one thing, booing after a corps performance is another.

Agreed.

To my knowledge, it hasn't happened in so many years, that I don't recall when and with whom. Maybe we can cross this bridge and have a disccusion on it if it ever occurs again. Otherwise, its a disccusion on booing that to my recollection has not occured in recent memory.

What was the percentage of audience goers that booed the results in Stanford, Calif. ?From reading this thread and not knowing any better, one would think that at least half the crowd there in California wwas booing or otherwise displaying uncivil behaviors. But is this true ? What if the percentage of booers was less than 10% in this show in California ? If so, might we be overreacting to this ? Booing is bad. I get that. But hiow about some perspective here ?

Also, can we all agree here that any time staff designers, or MM's, or Parents, or Alums have to blame audiences in the Performing Arts for something that we really are in decline ? I mean honestly. There was hardly anybody in the stands there in Akron, Ohio for the 6 Corps show that was taken to the movie theatres. That not good. Thats not good at all. Not when movie audiences can see such a sparse crowd there in Ohio. Now we have people criticizing the ones that still remain faithful and still show up. Thats not good either. If people arn't giving 3 simultaneus ovations during shows for many corps like they used to, its easy to blame the audiences for that. But is the audience REALLY at fault here ? How so ? Its estimated that ( for example ) the DCI defending Champion Blue Devils Drum Corps will perform before 300,000 people this summer. If the BD show does not entertain many of these 300,000 people, it would be most unfortunate to blame the audience from coast to coast for this tepid audience reception. It only means we can expect more of the same in the future, but perhaps before even smaller audiences in the future. One thing we know for certain is that no entertainer or performing group can long continue to alienate large segments of their audience no matter how talented the ensemble is. Thats not a roadmap for the future success of the enterprise we call Drum Corps at all. We need " changes " all right. Thats because when we are fighting now over audiences behaviors,... and before smaller audiences these days now to boot... we have to acknowledge that DCI has gone off the track a bit now. And primarily blaming the paying customer for this is misplaced fault, imo.

All points well taken, BRASS. But I didn't really come on board to discuss those larger issues on this go-'round. The percentage of boo-ers in the audience or the size of the crowd in Akron notwithstanding (and acknowledging that the o.p. became rather offensive in her own right as she continued to ramble), I'm sticking to my story: childish, boorish behavior, whether directed at the judges, the kids, the sheets, whatever - is uncalled for on show night.

Thanks for the dialogue. Peace,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

5. If it didn't work out for you in the bar, do you proceed home and spend the rest of your evening with a gallon of ice-cream and a can of pringles while watching the 70's decade of the Legacy series dvd daydreaming of times past?

I missed the part where the age of the boo-ers was mentioned.....