Why are fans so rude and immature?

A few question for those of you who are totally cool with booing, and have been the people who boo.

1. So when you are done with your "live" spectacle of booing at a drum corps show, and you are moments later alone in your car driving away......do you feel a sense of self-satisfaction?

2. Right after the moment of booing or on that drive home do you feel a sudden rise in your endorphin and testosterone levels?

3. If you answered yes to number 2....Does the rise in endorphins and testosterone give you the urge to go to the bar or some other local hangout spot to try to pick up on some hotties?

4. If you answered yes to number 3....Does part of your pick-up line include...."hey ladies, I booed a drum corps show tonight".....this is when the lady responds with "What's drum corps"......in your sudden panic to her question and trying to remain "cool" you retreat to the always handy "It's like professional marching band but without the woodwinds" line?........one of two things happens here......1. the lady is too drunk and doesn't really care what you are saying anyway......or 2. she is sober and thinks to herself....."did this guy just try to pick-up on me referencing marching band.

5. If it didn't work out for you in the bar, do you proceed home and spend the rest of your evening with a gallon of ice-cream and a can of pringles while watching the 70's decade of the Legacy series dvd daydreaming of times past?

• Like 3

Let me start out by saying that I liked a few of the shows last night (Saturday). BD was my fave and yes I'm biased because I'm a proud BD parent and I've seen a few rehearsals by now and 2 shows. If you don't like it, that's cool. But why in H do the fans have to boo like that? I know they wanted CC to get it but they didn't so grow up already. Every year there are BD haters, never fails. That is the most disrespectful thing anyone can do. And I guarantee the large majority of those booing fans were GROWN ADULTS! I'm sure you are all aware how hard these kids work. Not just BD, but ALL the corps. If I have one bad thing to say about any show its CC. Out of the 11 1/2 - 12 minutes of the show, how much did the brass play? They spent the first couple minutes dancing towards their horn while a voice over read, what sounded very much, like a bedtime story. Later they proceeded to lay on their stomachs while wiggling their feet. Remember last year during BD's Dada show...how many of you complained about the narration? Raise your hand, come on, don't be shy. I've seen some comments about CC's narration, some bad but mostly good. So, when CC sits there and narrates practically an entire show, it's ok. But if BD does it... OMG that is so ridiculous! The fans are the ridiculous ones here.

And to prove how rude and immature the fans are, you all read about the BBQ that was shared by BD, CC, and SCV. And I bet they all got along like best friends. They cheer each other on because they are walking in each others shoes. And....they are mature.

I am with you "Proud Parent". There is no place for rudeness and hate.

However, I have been performing in drum corps since the 70's. You obviously have not marched in a drum corps. Your rant is rude and not what most of the 10,000 or so fans at Stanford would agree with.

We, who march, do this because we love the activity. We don't spend 100's of hours to bash ANYONE. We love the performing arts. We all know there will be those better and worse than us. That comes with the turf, pun intended. There are always "Fan Favorites".

Believe me, you are not representing "parents" of the activity for the most part.

As a BD parent, you might want to listen to the 2008 announcement of Phantom's win recording of the retreat. Talk about sore losers.

Though I don't like what happened, ya gotta know that all our kids on the field want to do well and those in contention want to win. And take it in stride. We all love our kids, love drum corps and want to win.

I am not speaking for any group or corps. As an adult, Anaheim Kingsmen Alumni, USAF Drum & Bugle Corps veteran, Kingsmen Alumni Corps, Freelancers Minicorps Member, Phoenix Drum & Bugle Corps Member and current all-age performing musician in the San Francisco Renegades, please refrain from posting raging rants on a public forum...kids read these too!

May the BEST corps win!

What was the percentage of audience goers that booed the results in Stanford, Calif. ?From reading this thread and not knowing any better, one would think that at least half the crowd there in California wwas booing or otherwise displaying uncivil behaviors. But is this true ? What if the percentage of booers was less than 10% in this show in California ? If so, might we be overreacting to this ? Booing is bad. I get that. But hiow about some perspective here ?

It was less than 10% for sure. Probably less than 5%. I was there, and there was a very small pocket of it. Incidentally, right near where the microphones were.

BTW...I hope the West wins!

There is just a lot of competition this year.

I do love Crown's horns though.

Edited by rflghorns

A few question for those of you who are totally cool with booing, and have been the people who boo.

1. So when you are done with your "live" spectacle of booing at a drum corps show, and you are moments later alone in your car driving away......do you feel a sense of self-satisfaction?

2. Right after the moment of booing or on that drive home do you feel a sudden rise in your endorphin and testosterone levels?

3. If you answered yes to number 2....Does the rise in endorphins and testosterone give you the urge to go to the bar or some other local hangout spot to try to pick up on some hotties?

4. If you answered yes to number 3....Does part of your pick-up line include...."hey ladies, I booed a drum corps show tonight".....this is when the lady responds with "What's drum corps"......in your sudden panic to her question and trying to remain "cool" you retreat to the always handy "It's like professional marching band but without the woodwinds" line?........one of two things happens here......1. the lady is too drunk and doesn't really care what you are saying anyway......or 2. she is sober and thinks to herself....."did this guy just try to pick-up on me referencing marching band.

5. If it didn't work out for you in the bar, do you proceed home and spend the rest of your evening with a gallon of ice-cream and a can of pringles while watching the 70's decade of the Legacy series dvd daydreaming of times past?

You need to find different bars to go to then if drum corps can't be used as a pick-up line. :tongue:

• Like 1

no matter how much education on the sheets there is always the persons view of what they mean, or see , or hear.....has always been like that...every drum corps circuit, band circuit, winter , etc etc.....its always been the argument and will always be in a subjective activity..........but even when it was more error based ( the tic system ) it STILL was nothing more than subjective opinion.....................not that education is bad of some sort.

not disagreeing with any of that.

However the focus of the new sheets is performer drives the book number....not the other way around. if those sheets were used correctly, I know one champion last year that would have been performer over the book on several sheets

• Like 1

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Sometimes

4) Probably

5) No, usually number 4 works. Hope that answers all your questions :smile:

• Like 3

Ahhh... of course this makes good sense Jeff, but I believe you may not quite understand the what and where of what I meant by "educating them up close and personally" I was thinking more along the lines of a little 70's Skyliners' parking lot education. winky.gif

hence my words in the post you quoted "when the #### hits the fan"

not disagreeing with any of that.

However the focus of the new sheets is performer drives the book number....not the other way around. if those sheets were used correctly, I know one champion last year that would have been performer over the book on several sheets

what ever it is it is..corps decide how they want to be judged ( or try to ) one writes to the sheets ( if thats where their focus is or where they want it to be )