I hate it when someone "whooo!"s after a release

The OP is right that when a corps is playing well it's nice to hear the resonating sound. And the whoops do interfere with that.

It's a trade off. Watch Crown 2010 A Second Chance on fan network. During the pre show (speaking of Crown pre shows) there's a moment when the ensemble forms a box, then they all step to the side and let the audience have it for about one second. It's one of the best moments of that show because it really highlights something special about the activity. I call it giving 'em some sugar. And the audience just goes nuts. Everybody whoops. Even watching the vid I can't help but giggle every time I see it.

There's a huge "loner-whoop" at the end of BD 2012 Cabaret Voltaire. Even though that's an incredibly soft and subtle moment, I still love that one because it runs so opposite to what we expect - both from the perspective of that moment and what we expect from the fans-who-we-are-told-hate-BD.

Great thread.

Edited by Pete Freedman
  • Like 1

Stupid thread is stupid :lookaround:

• Like 1

Drum corps is the WWE of the arts . . .where it has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Crowd response is part and parcel of the experience.

And, The winner is predetermined???ph34r.gif

• Like 1

I get excited I'm a musician and teacher of 15 years.... That same resonance is why I get excited. I don't yell to get on a CD or annoy but because I love what I'm hearing and it excites me. If it didn't I wouldn't want to teach... Nothing wrong with passion

Dude did you not hear the crowds from back in the day during the advertisements for the Essentials Collection? I would KILL to have that kind of crowd reaction to ANY show I marched. I agree with 5thbassman about performing to a quiet crowd being draining... which is partly why I hated performing in domes. It sucks up so much crowd sound that I feel like I'm performing in outer space.

Sometimes as a fan you can't help but shout a "WOHOO!!" to a moment of excellence. It's like a reflex.

"Dude", I'm not talking about general crowd reaction. I'm talking about the "loner-whoop" as Pete Freedman, who took the time to understand my post, called it. Also not talking about general crowd reaction after a colorguard moment either. Here is a video of Santa Clara playing "Send in the Clowns". It's not the best example because there is a baby jabbering close to the videographer. No one does it in this video, but what I'm talking about is some "lone whooper" choosing, say 1:33, to be annoying http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toHViolUxeA

One of my friends is a mellophone player, and when he hears a very well done mello feature he yells "those horns!"

He really cant help it either.

But the mellos usually dont get much love from designers or fans. So he likes to appreciate them.

We go to finals every year, and sometimes there are some serious grumps in front of us. They were quite annoyed that we yelled "go_____" for our friends as their corps were setting up. That we yelled "eat'm up boston", that we even participated in the "vanguard yell". that we yelled "encore!" For crown because we knew their show wasn't over. That we yelled "freedom!" In the pause for boston before the finale of their show. (We even ran that by boston beforehand and they loved the idea.

And yes my friend shouted "those horns" and we whoooooood and what not as well.

If these people want to watch or listen to a show where there isnt fan interaction around them then they should get the dvd or blu ray.

But if they want to experience a show.... they should bloody experience it.

• Like 1