Corps Honoring Their Competitors

When after the scores were announced at the Denton, Texas show in 2009, the Cavaliers surprised the Cadets by wheeling out a magnificent 75 anniversary cake which fed both corps plus and honored the many years of friendship and competition between the corps over many, many decades.

This was similar to how the Madison Scouts honored the Cavaliers and Don Warren by presenting to the Green Machine a commissioned art work of the Cavies' various flash flags over the years which commemorated the competition and uniqueness of these two corps as the only remaining all male units in DCI today.

Recently at their Show of Shows, the Phantom Regiment joined the Madison Scouts to honor the Scouts' 75th birthday by presenting them with a specially prepared Regiment chevron as the two corps together played the Madison version of "You'll Never Walk Alone." (link provided by cowtown in post 18 of this thread)

What other rather phenomenal, fraternal moments have corps shared marking their sibling rivalries and special life occasions with such class?

Edited by normy diploome
  • Like 3

When after the scores were announced at the Denton, Texas show in 2009, the Cavaliers surprised the Cadets by wheeling out a magnificent 75 anniversary cake which fed both corps plus and honored the many years of friendship and competition between the corps over many, many decades.

This was similar to how the Madison Scouts honored the Cavaliers and Don Warren by presenting to the Green Machine a commissioned art work of the Cavies' various flash flags over the years which commemorated the competition and uniqueness of these two corps as the only remaining all male units in DCI today.

Recently at their Show of Shows, the Phantom Regiment joined the Madison Scouts to honor the Scouts' 75th birthday by presenting them with a specially prepared Regiment chevron as the two corps together played the Madison version of "You'll Never Walk Alone."

What other rather phenomenal, fraternal moments have corps shared marking their sibling rivalries and special life occasions with such class?

May not be "phenomenal", but just the everyday thing of eating with another corps is notable to me. That's one of the things I used to love about drum corps. Meeting your competitors, sharing experiences, hell, when I joined the navy, I wound up in boot camp with a guy from SCV who marched the same years I marched Cadets. Priceless.

• Like 1

After the Wakefield (Massachusetts) evening parade each 4th of July, Cadets, Crown, and whatever corps that are in the parade pull their food trucks together and do a "pot luck supper" for all the corps, almost like a revolving dinner having a different "course" at each station. The members seem to love it as it has been going on for a number of years.

• Like 2

The Crossmen and the Spirit of Atlanta have had a close relationship for many years going back to an incident when both corps were on a West Coast tour in the early 80's. I may get some of the details wrong, but Spirit's truck had an accident and the Crossmen caravan stopped to save all the equipment and transport it to the next venue. Every year, there will be at least one "mass brass" at a DCI show where the two corps play for each other.

There are many youtube videos of these encounters.

• Like 3

The Crossmen and the Spirit of Atlanta have had a close relationship for many years going back to an incident when both corps were on a West Coast tour in the early 80's. I may get some of the details wrong, but Spirit's truck had an accident and the Crossmen caravan stopped to save all the equipment and transport it to the next venue. Every year, there will be at least one "mass brass" at a DCI show where the two corps play for each other.

There are many youtube videos of these encounters.

I love this story. Here's a link with some more detail about the bonds between Spirit and the Crossmen: http://drumcorpswiki.com/Crossmen#Spirit_Equipment_Truck_Incident

Most of the Spirit members wear a Crossmen patch on their Corps jackets in honor of the Crossmen.

• Like 2

Most corps usually have a situation where they eat with or feed another corps, so that's rather common. I do remember back in '94 with Colts, since it was our second year ever making Finals as a corps, we made a huge banner that we all signed, welcoming Magic to Finals and congratulating them on their first year cracking the Top 12.

• Like 2

Most corps usually have a situation where they eat with or feed another corps, so that's rather common. I do remember back in '94 with Colts, since it was our second year ever making Finals as a corps, we made a huge banner that we all signed, welcoming Magic to Finals and congratulating them on their first year cracking the Top 12.

Eating with SCV, having an after party with the Bridgemen at their show in 1982... Having our corps played to by SCV... Many Many experiences...

But BigBadMadMan, doesn't this strike you as kind of Polly-Anna? lol just a ribbing!

I am glad that we both had a great experience marching!

Spirit has stacked their horns in a cross (for Crossmen) multiple times at retreat on finals night, and Crossmen have likewise stacked their horns in a delta. They also play together / for each other at the end of many seasons (recently at Allentown).

Crossmen and Spirit really do share a strong bond.

I believe they have awards named in honor of the other corps that they hand out at their respective banquet as well.

• Like 1