Walnut Whiskey, Wine, and Wasabi

This is awesome. I love real competition.

• Like 1

I'd like to pause the Crown/Devils discussion for a moment to give some recognition to Pacific Crest. So far they have been much, much closer to the top corps (BD, CC, SCV) this season than in years past, and are doing so consistently, show after show, including full panels!

The fight for 12th is going to be insane once again this year, but if PC keeps this up we have to start recognizing them as a dark horse candidate for Finals.

This was one of the first things I noticed after seeing the scores. Obviously we won't know for sure until they're stacked up at a larger show like Minnesota or San Antonio, but they''re scoring up there with BAC, Blue Stars, Spirit and Crossmen. They must be excited, and I am for them!

Congrats Crown! I wouldn't be surprised if anyone beats them from here on out. This show is going to go down in the record books.

A little soon to go there. IMO.

A little soon to go there. IMO.

O.o

I am in guard as well and have been for almost 2 decades each coast has there own technique west coast is very much rifle based and east coast is very much sabre based. To say BD has better weapon technique is an opinion, Crown just like Phantom, the Cadets, Cavaliers and even Boston are very Much Sabre based corps in having great sabre technique. Yes BD has amazing dancers, so do other corps looking at both shows crown is showing a higher range in what is written for there members. Also looking at one of the biggest pieces of equipment that everyone forgets (Flag) Crown is showing a more difficult flag book than a lot of corps have been. Musicality reflects highly on whats written. I give mad props to both guards they are at the top of there game.

I think you hit the nail on the head. BD's flag book - to me - is always their weakest section. I always watch them when the sabre and rifle lines are split up - and they always seem like an afterthought relegated to the back of the field (especially the Bacarach show). Crown's flag book is much more integrated in that sense. And I am in no way surprised that they are beating the Blue Devils, colorguard - I feel they are finally getting the recognition they should have been getting since their "Horses" show!

And as I know how important it is to validate our opinions here on DCP :rolleyes: I have been in guard (DCI, WGI) for over 30 years

Later,

Mike

• Like 9

This. I will take tight competition over an undefeated season ANY day. Adds so much tension and excitement. Add Cadets into this mix and we're going to have an awesome battle.

Totally with you. I hate not seeing any of these shows this year, as it seems right now at least anything can happen! In that type of season, THE FANS are the winners!!

This was one of the first things I noticed after seeing the scores. Obviously we won't know for sure until they're stacked up at a larger show like Minnesota or San Antonio, but they''re scoring up there with BAC, Blue Stars, Spirit and Crossmen. They must be excited, and I am for them!

Check out the "PC Finalists" thread for my analysis of their scores, talk about show dynamics, etc, but here's a quote of mine from that topic that is applicable here:

Last night PC was about 11 points behind winner Carolina Crown. Last year at this same time PC was about 13 points behind winner Blue Devils, which seems a bit comparable to last night's spread (also of note, last year the Walnut show not only had Academy, to give another corps at PC's "tier" into the mix, but also an added Top 6 corps w/SCV in attendance to kind of even out scores/spreads). It should also be noted that last year's winner, BD, won with a 77.65 and PC scored a 64.2 (less than a point behind Mandarins) so scores across the board last year at this time were lower at Walnut.

PC is coming out stronger this season than they have in awhile, and I'm really excited to see where they stand in the mix. However it is not uncommon for PC to look deceptively better on the west coast than they really are in head-to-head competition. I do think it's possible right now for PC to contend in that 14-12 placements, and it will be exciting to see how that plays out this year!!

Let me guess. You marched blue devils. 😈

Maybe one day. :p

I am glad my post got some response, I think I will definitely be able to look at the guards in a different light from now on. I still would have a lot more trouble marching BD's boom than Crown's. Heck, it is all WAY hard. :

Maybe one day. :p

I am glad my post got some response, I think I will definitely be able to look at the guards in a different light from now on. I still would have a lot more trouble marching BD's boom than Crown's. Heck, it is all WAY hard. :

The only thing I can add to this line of conversation is to say that when I first saw your username I thought it read "Blood Evils."