Mankato Musical Mayham

Madison is fine... One show one number one huge panic.

• Like 1

I think people are all for volatility as long as it doesn't affect their favorite corps.

I'm all for parity in the placements from year to year. What I don't think anyone is happy with is the considerable lack in consistency in judging from show to show.

• Like 1

Between 6/23 and 6/26 there was a 5 point margin swing where blue stars went from beating troopers by 3.5 to losing to them by 1.5

I found that to be pretty ridiculous as well.

So the Blue Star's guard scored about where Cadet's, Crown's and BD's guards are scoring. I don't really know what to say to that, but, it is what is happening.

It's more complex than that, however, Blue Stars did sailors and fishes in the sea very well : )

I'm all for parity in the placements from year to year. What I don't think anyone is happy with is the considerable lack in consistency in judging from show to show.

I'd have to say it's more likely that the corps themselves aren't terribly consistent right now. I wasn't surprised by this jump because reviewing subcaptions from the previous night, it looked awfully like the Blue Stars didn't have as strong a showing as they could have, especially with color guard below both Madison and Crossmen and a 6 point gap between Sbst and Achv, and that's just in guard. It's less about who's judging and much more about corps consistency at this point if you ask me. The Blue Stars have a good, but often inconsistent color guard, thanks to Michael Shapiro, and I think tonight was a proof of that.

• Like 1

Colorguard score simply out of line from other judges the entire year. Bluestars colorguard scored a full point behind Madison's guard a couple of days ago, only to beat Madison tonight by 1.7. Not taking away anything from the Bluestars however, you don't make that kind of a point swing in one caption over the span of several days. Plus, the GE Visual and Ensemble Visual scores don't warrant that kind of jump or point spread in colorguard. That's called bad judging! It IS just one show.

Colorguard score simply out of line from other judges the entire year. Bluestars colorguard scored a full point behind Madison's guard a couple of days ago, only to beat Madison tonight by 1.7. Not taking away anything from the Bluestars however, you don't make that kind of a point swing in one caption over the span of several days. Plus, the GE Visual and Ensemble Visual scores don't warrant that kind of jump or point spread in colorguard. That's called bad judging! It IS just one show.

It does happen when that subcaption is taking on a harder level of content than it's competition. There are going to be off days, and even an off day can make a judge think there is no real content to your book. It was a bit too heavy a swing, but if you ask me, I'd put more money on that being the fault of the night prior, not this night.

In other news, how about them Colts? Why can't we be talking about them?

• Like 2

Not taking away anything from the Bluestars however, you don't make that kind of a point swing in one caption over the span of several days. Plus, the GE Visual and Ensemble Visual scores don't warrant that kind of jump or point spread in colorguard. That's called bad judging! It IS just one show.

Every corps tonight made a point+ jump in at least one caption..

• Like 1

If that's correct, Blue Stars fans should be ecstatic, as that puts them less than a point behind Cavies.

Less than a point behind the 5th place score... Very good! poke.gif