The Beanpot in Lynn

While I usually think of the Beanpot as the annual hockey tournament amongst the colleges of Boston, here it is the title of the contest in Lynn, same place World Open used to be held but now in a new, improved stadium.

Will Cadets maintain their high score?

Who will it be BC or PR?

Will Tim K make it to the show or will Cape traffic stall him from breaking through Rt. 128 congestion?

Since Lynn is "Nahth Shaw," does Cape traffic mean Cape Cod or Cape Anne?

While I usually think of the Beanpot as the annual hockey tournament amongst the colleges of Boston, here it is the title of the contest in Lynn, same place World Open used to be held but now in a new, improved stadium.

does Cape traffic mean Cape Cod or Cape Anne?

" Lynn, Lynn, the City of Sin. You never come out the way you went in ". ( said for over a 100 years by both Lynnites as well as non Lynnites ).

Manning Bowl in Lynn, Ma. used to be a dump.. a venerable Drum Corps stadium dump... but still a dump. Thats changed. They bulldozed the old stadium down and rebuilt a new one on its site. Now its a good site. That said, in July the sun will be directly in the eyes of the audience for the first few Corps. And its hotter than a pistol right now. Boston is more humid than probably Bangkok today. Ouch. But when the sun goes down, it should be ok for the corps that perform then, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Listed in reverse order of performance.

show starts at 7:30pm

Phantom Regiment - Rockford, IL

The Cadets - Allentown, PA

Bluecoats - Canton, OH

Boston Crusaders - Boston, MA

Jersey Surf - Camden County, NJ

7th Regiment - New London, CT

Spartans - Nashua, NH

The Muchachos - Manchester, NH

Bridgemen Alumni - Bayone, NJ

Read more: http://www.dci.org/schedule/#ixzz2YCAzNfzR

7:30 pm Muchachos

7:47 pm Spartans

8:04 pm 7th Regiment

8:21 pm Bridgemen Alumni

8:36 pm Intermission

8:58 pm Jersey Surf

9:15 pm Boston Crusaders

9:32 pm Bluecoats

9:49 pm The Cadets

10:06 pm Phantom Regiment

Color Guard – Michael Stone

GE Music – Jay Kennedy

GE Visual – Richard Burke

Music Analysis – David Shaffer

Music Brass – Don MacTaggart

Music Percussion – Peter Funari

Visual Analysis – Deborah Torchia

Visual Proficiency – Frank Morris

Chief Judge – Deborah Torchia

Contest Coordinator – David Surface

Cape traffic is "down the cape" as in Cape Cod.

The weather out here is brutally hot. I feel for those members practicing today.

Now there you go trying to confuse the non-Bay Staters.

It took me awhile of writing my dissertation chapters in Scituate, Mass. (not RI who say the c like a K where the Mass brand keeps it silent) before I figured out that up the Cape and down the Cape makes sense to landlubbers only thinking of the Cape as your arm at the side of your body. Imagine the mainland as your shoulder. If you curl your arm, the hand is still down the arm, even if you raise it above your head. So down the Cape is from the mainland to Provincetown, up the Cape is from Provincetown to Plymouth. And there is no Bourne tunnel, so don't buy the toll pass :-)

Leave extra time today to get your Frappe at Brigham's. (Ice cream sodas for the rest of the world. jimmies are sprinkles, no matter what the color or flavor.)

Will Cadets maintain their high score?

Who will it be BC or PR?

Will Tim K make it to the show or will Cape traffic stall him from breaking through Rt. 128 congestion?

Since Lynn is "Nahth Shaw," does Cape traffic mean Cape Cod or Cape Anne?

First of all, "the Cape" is always Cape Cod and you only arrive at the Cape when you cross one of the two bridges: Sagamore or Bourne. Plymouth, Wareham, and Onset are not the Cape.Only tourists use "Cape Ann." Locals just use the town names: Gloucester (Glostah) , Manchester (Manchestah) by the Sea, Essex (Essix), or Rockport

While I hit Cape traffic with a vengeance going to Bristol, if I hit Cape traffic going to Lynn, my sense of direction is way off. I live in Haverhill and once lived in Lynn, so I know all the back roads quite well.

Cadets will maintain their high score but my hope is BAC will edge closer to Bluecoats and Phantom.

• Like 2

First of all, "the Cape" is always Cape Cod and you only arrive at the Cape when you cross one of the two bridges: Sagamore or Bourne. Plymouth, Wareham, and Onset are not the Cape.Only tourists use "Cape Ann." Locals just use the town names: Gloucester (Glostah) , Manchester (Manchestah) by the Sea, Essex (Essix), or Rockport

While I hit Cape traffic with a vengeance going to Bristol, if I hit Cape traffic going to Lynn, my sense of direction is way off. I live in Haverhill and once lived in Lynn, so I know all the back roads quite well.

Cadets will maintain their high score but my hope is BAC will edge closer to Bluecoats and Phantom.

That's Aver-rill, for those not fluent with Bostonese.:tongue:/>/>/>

Edited by normy diploome
  • Like 1

Now there you go trying to confuse the non-Bay Staters.

It took me awhile of writing my dissertation chapters in Scituate, Mass. (not RI who say the c like a K where the Mass brand keeps it silent) before I figured out that up the Cape and down the Cape makes sense to landlubbers only thinking of the Cape as your arm at the side of your body. Imagine the mainland as your shoulder. If you curl your arm, the hand is still down the arm, even if you raise it above your head. So down the Cape is from the mainland to Provincetown, up the Cape is from Provincetown to Plymouth. And there is no Bourne tunnel, so don't buy the toll pass :-)

Leave extra time today to get your Frappe at Brigham's. (Ice cream sodas for the rest of the world. jimmies are sprinkles, no matter what the color or flavor.)

Just a word of warning: Don't tell a Cape Codder that the Cape begins in Plymouth. You have to cross the Cape Cod Canal bridges and you always call them Sagamore or Bourne. A frappe (said frap, not frappay) has milk, ice cream, and syrup so it's not quite an ice cream soda, and I think Brigham's are all but gone, though there may be some private shops using the name and you can still get the ice cream and hot fudge sauce. Their vanilla is perfect for anything a-la-mode. However, if you are headed to the Cape, and you want a great frappe, stop at the Seafood Shanty across from the Canal's visitor center. Since the drum corps will be in Pennsylvania on Sunday, that's where you might be able to find me.