Whitewater, "As the tides turn."

Simple, the scores matter because it's a judged activity...In case you hadn't noticed, it's not an exhibition, it's a "competition". But to your point, yes, Madison's M.O. first and foremost is entertainment, and that's a wonderful thing. I can guarantee you though; you will not hear Chris Komnick or any of Madison's staff chime in with the course of "F" the scores. Nor would you have heard that philosophy espoused by our staff in 1975 when I marched in Madison's championship corps or in the years that followed up to my age out. As a matter of fact, I think you would find that with today's Scout leadership you'd hear that it's not an either or proposition. I believe you would be told that they strongly feel you can have both no-holds-barred entertainment along with success in the scoring ledger at the same time...At least that's the long term goal that's been laid out. Now, if you disagree with the winning thing all together or that one shouldn't have goals in the activity, then it's time to simply pull out the applause meter.

And to piggyback off that, why can't it be both? How much larger of a talent pool will they have to draw from if young men know they can both be a crowd favorite AND compete for a championship? At the risk of bucking the current trend in DCI, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive concepts.

• Like 1

Crowd at Whitewater (from Spirit FB page):

Photo%20Jul%2005%2C%2021%2011%2003.jpg

I have never seen a picture of Warhawk Stadium for a drum corps show with so few people in the stands. Wow.

• Like 3

Not for nothing, but I thought that the whole "Madison" thing was "F the scores, as long as the crowd is entertained!!!!" Wasn't that the "Stewart Way"

I suggest the philosophy is more-so not to worry about things out of one's control but rather simply continually strive for excellence of performance and entertainment on a personal and team level; and things will tend to take care of themselves.

total score i think you're right -- it's been around 2pts.

but wasn't madison sweeping all the captions in the early meetings and now they're splitting captions?

anyway my earlier point stands. if madison can keep winning the guard caption they have a great chance at holding off the cavies.

I agree!.... I think the color guard score is crucial to Madison's success visually this year. This is the best guard they have had in years. Adam Sage has done a wonderful job with the entire guard package. Everywhere he goes in the activity the guard programs become instantly better. Maybe if he was still with Crown, they might have already won! Anyway, glad he is a Madison Scout!

On a side note .. . . . Checking the recaps from earlier in the year. Scouts have been scoring higher in all music captions with this group of corps from the start. The brass score by Paul McGarr is not what everyone else heard all season and not by the other two music judges last night (Nola Jones & Randy Isoda). McGarr's seems to be about .5 to .7 off in the opposite direction. While I was not in Whtewater last night, I have heard all of these teams several times and would never have considered Cavies or Spirits brasslines to play better than Madison. I think the numbers in the brass score will flip back tonight in Michigan City.

I have never seen a picture of Warhawk Stadium for a drum corps show with so few people in the stands. Wow.

Could have something to do with the fact that there are 3 shows this weekend (Whitewater, Michigan City, Lisle) with the same line-up of corps.

And recently, there were shows in Madison and Belvidere. Mankato, Rochester, Muncie, etc. DCI really saturates the upper midwest. There are about 25 shows in the MN, IA, WI, IL, IN, MI region and about 5 in OH.

OTOH, there are about 10-15 shows on the east coast. Only 1 in NJ.

If I recall the seating capacity is 11,000 for the stadium (there is no back yard line seating, all front), so I would ascertain there was a minimum of at least 2000 there.

If I recall the seating capacity is 11,000 for the stadium (there is no back yard line seating, all front), so I would ascertain there was a minimum of at least 2000 there.

You are correct about the seating capacity, and I suspect the minimum of 2000 is very conservative.

If this same audience was at a high school stadium, people would be talking about it being standing room only.

Look, I understand the historical significance of Whitewater and would never suggest not having a show there. However, what I can't understand is DCI continually jerking around Kalamazoo and the DCI show at Western MI University. I've attended every show they've held at WMU and can tell you the attendance has always been outstanding, certainly better than the photos shown here. Now there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation for not continuing this show on an annual basis (stadium scheduling conflicts, for example) but this show has always drawn well, but DCI just keeps fiddling with having it one year and not the next. Just throwing it out there....

• Like 1

Actually, I just went and checked. From the first show, you could use the phrase "closed the gap", but that was an outlier score compared to the rest.

Fairfield: Scouts +2.7

Evansville: Scouts +1.7

Muncie: Scouts +1.3

Whitewater: Scouts +1.2

Barring that first meeting spread in Fairfield, the spread has remained fairly steady, although closing by about a half point in a week and a half or so.

2.7, to 1.2 with a gain in every head to head meeting, is as "closing the gap" as it gets. It shows a trend.

I've marched at Whitewater 4 times and the crowd always tends to sit high up- better views that way.