Marvelous Minneapolis Matchup

I get "Rite of Spring". I've seen Fantasia dozens of times. Dinosaurs and volcanoes and stuff. Rite?

Garry in Frankfort, IL

Like he said.....

I wonder which captions got tighter? Cadets didn't seem as good visually tonight as the other night. Then I saw how much wind was blowing on those scaffolds. Man that must be hard. I'm sure in the oil can though they are gonna tear it up. They have one of the best uses of color. I think BD improved in their battery.

I'm sorry your education failed you, I guess?

Oh, I think Mr. SRB is plenty smart about things musical.

I also think when a drum corps discussion uses the word "you" (or in this case"your") it turns personal and has no place on a drum corps discussion board.

I'm plenty smart about things like that, because I have a degree in psychology. :cool:/>

• Like 1

BD (17.2) took percussion tonight. Then Cadets (17.1) followed by SCV (17.0)

Then Bluecoats with 16.6 and Crown with 16.5

Appears to be a 3 horse race for the Sanford Trophy.

Edited by Jeffe77
  • Like 1

SCV landed in 3rd in percussion. Still .2 down, but now it's to the Blue Devils? This will be a tight race for drums this year

I think that the performance order hurt Madison today, but that's how things go. Would like to say that my three favorites today were Santa Clara, Madison and the Troopers. Each of them have a show that is a reflection of their personality and they did well.

2.15 separates the top four corps.

That pesky Vanguard keeps insisting on getting into the discussion on who's going to win this year, don't they? :cool:/>

• Like 2

To just get it out of the way before I throw my opinion in the mix, I have a college degree in Music Theory. That said, I am of the opinion there is more than one way to understand a piece. The composer obviously has an intent in mind when they write a piece. Many times this intent is obvious such as program pieces and the such and the majority of the audience listening has the same 'understanding' of the piece as the composer, that is they feel basically the same way and the same emotions as the composer did when composing. Others, Bruckner comes to mind, there's a lot of debate about what the meaning is and how to understand the pieces. Some people just flat out dislike Bruckner because of their tastes and how they feel when they listen to his music.

Rite of Spring is a complex piece of music. There's a reason it's a key piece of study for everyone who enters higher education in music. But there are many ways to interpret it and to find 'understanding' within it. From the ballet, to the story of the dinosaurs in Fantasia. Rite has its own meanings to me because of what I feel and the memories and feelings it stirs when I listen to it. The person sitting next to me may have a completely different interpretation because of their different life experiences. But neither of us 'understand' the music in its emotional impact any less. And that is what music is to me.

Music is emotion. What makes it special is that a piece that could bring one person to tears, another person would skip the track. We all understand music, even if it isn't the composer's original intent in writing it. Every person who listens puts a new level of understanding to it and makes it even more weighty and special.

So maybe the judges don't understand what you personally think the Blue Devils are trying to do. They have their own understanding and can only approach their judging with that. I'm not familiar with all the ins and outs of judging in DCI but if it's anything like other circuits, the director of BD would be able to discuss what the corps is trying to pull off with a certain judge if it appears they might not understand the corps' angle. Just as in a theory class, a classmate might have to discuss their angle with the other students and maybe even the teacher.

Finally, I apologize if any of this came off as aloof or 'above it all', I just tried to convey my own opinions on the matter and I phrased it as well as I could. thumbup.gif

• Like 2