San Antonio Showdown

I really do love SCV. I hope they continue to climb!

• Like 2

Some quick comments from the webcast:

1. I don't see Madison staying over Cavies for much longer. There's a really obvious gap in content in the Cavies' favor.

2. Phantom seemed to perform with more emotion tonight. They've left me flat on previous videos, but I was pretty convinced by tonight's performance.

3. The Cadets are pretty solid for the first 2/3 of the show, and I find myself really getting into the Symphony #1 material. Then they finish the ballad and it's all downhill. Medea is really disappointing. It seems like almost none of the musical development & emotional content of the original work survive the mashup with Adagio. Towers were still messy indoors, so they've got something to fix there beyond wind & field issues.

4. BD went a long way to convincing me that they can and should win tonight. The end of the show is the only part that doesn't really work for me. The guard work with the curved sticks comes through pretty quite well on a webcast, I'm betting it's awesome live.

5. Oh Crown, I love your show and your brass lines are the best ever. Won't you please, pretty please, fix your percussion and ensemble problems? And please clean the 3D pyramid? I would love to see you get the gold medal, but ...

• Like 5

I was entirely agreeing with you, I was just explaining the justifications that could be behind the freak outs.

Ahh. Got it. satisfied.gif

• Like 1

I really do love SCV. I hope they continue to climb!

Agreed, they were incredible tonight. Definitely the loudest audience reaction by far, only Madison even came close!

Some quick comments from the webcast:

1. I don't see Madison staying over Cavies for much longer. There's a really obvious gap in content in the Cavies' favor.

What I've seen and thought since day 1. Group is rough, show is dirty, but ###### if it isn't the product with the most potential relative to their current placement. Bluecoats went a long way tonight to prove that they aren't falling to either Madison or the Cavaliers though. I could've seen them possibly taking a tumble, but it seems less likely now that they're two points up and less than a point down from Phantom again.

But then again, one show is one show.

I cannot do that many corps again...sunburnt, TERRIBLE headache, and I hurt from those seats being too close to eachother!!! Full review tomorrow or Monday. Favorite was a tie between Crown, Troopers, and Vanguard.

Not to mention that the seats aren't very comfortable in the first place!

I honestly think Crown's show is maybe becoming a bit stale for the members.

I doubt it. And if they are, then they don't deserve a title if they had that attitude.

less than 3 tenths of a spread is absolutely nothing here at this juncture. Nothing. Corps spreads can be a point and half away or so from another Corps and catch them at Semi's or Finals. 2 or 3 tenths is neither a time for hand wringing nor celebration for Corps this close in spreads. 2 or 3 tenths is nothing at all at this juncture.

Edited by BRASSO

The ONLY thing holding Crown back from dominating is their percussion. If they cannot finish at least 4th in drums they can't win. And honestly, their show is the best all around. What would be the point spread be if they were 1st or 2nd in drums? We would see them as uncatchable. It's not the talent in their drum line, it's the show itself being written for the brass, and it is a very difficult show for the percussion to compliment them. Almost impossible to have enough content to score with a space oddesey or the abyss, and the rest is a brass feature. Bottom line, Crown has to be at least 4th in drums to win. If not they are 2nd with BD or Cadets winning.

*edit...they can win I think if drums finish lower than 4th, but everything section will have to pick it up the slack to make up for that difference. They have a championship show, can they overcome 5th in drums?

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 1