San Antonio Showdown

I haven't had a chance to say it at all, but why would the Blue Devils have any reason to care about the fans?

Not having seen BD's (or Crown's or SCV's) show yet, I'm not saying that they're trying to drive away the fans (so Plan9 needn't jump on this post), but if they were, or if they didn't care whether a huge majority of the fans didn't like their show, then they're basically asking for the activity to die. If only shows the fans don't like can win, then eventually most corps will be attempting to present shows that fans don't like--meaning eventually there would be very few fans and, in the end, no more corps.

Mind you, that's a big "if".

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Crowd reaction & response needs a place on the scoresheets. BD's "F U" to the fans style of Drum Corps is not healthy for this activity, & most drum corps fans are sick & tired of seeing it rewarded.

People still believe that Blue Devils are trying to say FU to the fans????? Come on now use your brain.

• Like 2

Crowd reaction & response needs a place on the scoresheets. BD's "F U" to the fans style of Drum Corps is not healthy for this activity, & most drum corps fans are sick & tired of seeing it rewarded.

Only if you are totally hung up on scores and placements. Look. they are important, don't get me wrong, but would you rather have a 4th, 7th place Corps that is beloved by fans nationwide for your show or a 2nd place show that is boring ?

For example,BD is rolling the dice here. I give them credit as they are going for a grand slam with the judges. If they win another DCI Title whats not to like if you are them ? On the other hand if they finish 2nd, or 3rd with a show that gets golf claps every where it goes..... would you rather be 2nd, 3rd and be boring, or a little down the totem pole a few positions and be loved for your show by hundreds of thousands more fans that will see these shows over the course of the summer ? If I can't win a title, then I want to be entertaining. Being in an also ran Corps AND the show being boring to boot is the pits. So BD is rolling the dice here, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes, the drum battle was lame. Jersey Surf playing 8 on a hand warm ups? Really? Major shows like this should have a full retreat with all corps & members.

• Like 2

Open:

66.250 -- Genesis

Weird. DCI's score page has them with 73.250.

Not having seen BD's (or Crown's or SCV's) show yet, I'm not saying that they're trying to drive away the fans (so Plan9 needn't jump on this post), but if they were, or if they didn't care whether a huge majority of the fans didn't like their show, then they're basically asking for the activity to die. If only shows the fans don't like can win, then eventually most corps will be attempting to present shows that fans don't like--meaning eventually there would be very few fans and, in the end, no more corps.

Mind you, that's a big "if".

It is, because even BD doesn't try to be unappealing to fans. Their appeal is less placed on pure entertainment values, that takes longer to appreciate as a casual fan, even as one of the informed judges we so often think they play to exclusively. And in any case, there are enough groups playing what the fans want to see on a regular basis that what BD does is inconsequential. DCI has been dealing with non-fan-favorites winning it all since it's inception.

Maybe I'm being too sensitive and should go back to embracing the Heel mentality that they've harvested over the years, but I've never been a person to cheer for a Face just because they're a Face.

In any case, though, the Blue Devils win because they maximize the nearly-objective aspects of drum corps judging, by being clean and having great sounds and all of the things nobody can take away from them without being a jerk. If it so happens they do it with a mentality and design approach the average fan doesn't like, there's no reason they should worry until they as a corps decide it would be better to change that image.

Edited by DrumcorpsmademeaTuba
  • Like 2

I can see Pioneer beating BD, CC, & SCV in Wisconsin.

• Like 3

BD doesn't try to be unappealing to fans. ( your quote )

Its possibly true. It just might come naturally to them now without much thought.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

People still believe that Blue Devils are trying to say FU to the fans? Come on now, use your brain.

Well, one 2012 BD parent proudly posted in the first week of this season (in a thread long since locked) about how his child's Facebook status after last year's BD victory (which disappointed if not a majority at least a vocal minority of the Finals audience) read "FYWW". So some Devils' members, though presumably not the organization as whole, do feel that way.

• Like 1

Well, one 2012 BD parent proudly posted in the first week of this season (in a thread long since locked) about how his child's Facebook status after last year's BD victory (which disappointed if not a majority at least a vocal minority of the Finals audience) read "FYWW". So some Devils' members, though presumably not the organization as whole, do feel that way.

And I say more power to the kid if the corps is letting them do that and understands what kind of impression that leaves on both the MM and the corps as a whole.