San Antonio Showdown

Their Guard is really not getting the credit they deserve. I see them in 3-4 in guard but the spread was ridiculous. Watch the webcam again and tell me that guard is that far from the top spot. Gilley is a horrendous judge.

They need to dial 1-800-SOS-APRIL and quick.

• Like 1

I doubt it. And if they are, then they don't deserve a title if they had that attitude.

less than 3 tenths of a spread is absolutely nothing here at this juncture. Nothing. Corps spreads can be a point and half away or so from another Corps and catch them at Semi's or Finals. 2 or 3 tenths is neither a time for hand wringing nor celebration for Corps this close in spreads. 2 or 3 tenths is nothing at all at this juncture.

I am not basing my theory that Crown's show may be getting a bit stale for the members on the scoring at all. I am basing it completely off of what I saw/heard tonight vs. what I have seen/heard the rest of the year. That, and the fact that Crown seemed fairly lack-luster (by their standards) after the Cadets' "on fire" show.

I truly think that their level of performance in some aspects of the show was basically finals clean even as far back as two weeks ago.... and some of the judging numbers back this up (they were often receiving higher achievement numbers than rep). So it has to be frustrating to a member when your performance is nearly maxed out with 4-5 weeks to go, yet some other sections of the group are still "beginning of season" dirty.

I obviously don't know if any of this is actually true... I'm just basing it off of my own musical knowledge and observations.

Just watching from Fan Network, quick thoughts:

1) Wow, Crown was WAAAAAYYY off tonight. Worst performance this season that I have seen. The dome seemed to swallow their horn line up. What happened?? :(

2) Cadets should have won tonight, no doubt. Wow, I was extremely surprised by the execution of Cadets tonight. This is not my favorite show, but they just nailed it tonight. Props.

I didn't think I'd say it but thought Crown suffered a bit in comparison following Cadets -- the program just felt like it got off to such a slow start. And the drums really suffered in comparison - sandwiched between Cadets & BD and also SCV -- they stuck out in that top 4 and not in a good way

I am not basing my theory that Crown's show may be getting a bit stale for the members on the scoring at all. I am basing it completely off of what I saw/heard tonight vs. what I have seen/heard the rest of the year. That, and the fact that Crown seemed fairly lack-luster (by their standards) after the Cadets' "on fire" show.

I truly think that their level of performance in some aspects of the show was basically finals clean even as far back as two weeks ago.... and some of the judging numbers back this up (they were often receiving higher achievement numbers than rep). So it has to be frustrating to a member when your performance is nearly maxed out with 4-5 weeks to go, yet some other sections of the group are still "beginning of season" dirty.

I obviously don't know if any of this is actually true... I'm just basing it off of my own musical knowledge and observations.

Do not disagree. Crown should add their rumored ending NOW. The kids seem to need something fresh to chew on...

Anyone know what the penalty on Pioneer was for?

I'm curious of the same. I remember hearing rumors running about last year that there was a corps penalized some ridiculous amount because their guard didn't show up on time and delayed things, but I recall the rumor involving a 6 point penalty so... I dunno for sure. Okay, I was a point off, but I remembered correctly, Oregon Crusaders were penalized a whole 5 points last year at San Antonio for starting the show late (Doesn't mention a guard. Tour bus rumor mills are always interesting.)

They still won by 5 points.

Edited by DrumcorpsmademeaTuba

It's beyond my comprehension how Crown can be ahead of Santa Clara, and the Cadets for that matter. Too much voice. If it can't be said with the music, it shouldn't be said at all.

I undestand that people may not like the music... but it has been said before... all of the naration is actually in the original music. So, in a way, it can't be said with the music without the voice. Take it for what it is worth. Now, if someone doesn't like the music, that is a different story.

I do not see the problem people have with the Cadets' version of Medea.

Personally, I think it is beautiful ... my favorite version yet.

Some people don't like dynamics in drum corps though. I cannot identify with that perspective at all ... but it seems to be more prevalent than one would think.

1. Carolina Crown - 89.65

2. Blue Devils - 89.1

3. The Cadets - 88.55

4. Santa Clara Vanguard - 87.8

5. Phantom Regiment - 85.35

6. Bluecoats - 84.65

7. The Cavaliers - 84.2

8. Madison Scouts - 84.05

9. Blue Knights - 82.45

10. Boston Crusaders - 80.6

11. Blue Stars - 79.7

12. Spirit of Atlanta - 79.3