Meh.

They didn't have to sing America The Beautiful for me to enjoy it.

Those opera voices are distracting and cover up the reason I paid to see and hear drum corps.

All sounded very musical to me.

I think it's one of those situations where instead of asking "Why?" perhaps you should be willing to say "Why not?" !!

Maybe not what I would expect -- maybe not what I would choose -- maybe something I could still enjoy anyway :-)

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

I certainly would. Reducing 250+ brass to backup isn't my idea of drum corps.

If you think they're playing backup once all seven hornlines open up and start playing, probably need to turn up your speakers. You couldn't really even hear the singers on the Webcast, or on the video right above.

• Like 1

Point is, no matter what the talent . . .the two up front (IMO) take away from the amazing talent of the 250+ behind 'em. Just not my personal cup of tea. . . .and, hey, at least it's not out there in competition. :tongue:

Point is, no matter what the talent . . .the two up front (IMO) take away from the amazing talent of the 250+ behind 'em. Just not my personal cup of tea. . . .and, hey, at least it's not out there in competition. :tongue:/>

These two are both incredible singers and don't detract from anything.

• Like 1

Perhaps I am out of the loop, but I've been more or less following DCI since 1989 and have been on the field during finals. I don't see why people are so upset.

I agree that the "system" is leading corps to shows that aren't necessarily entertaining but will score well. The easiest example has been every BD production for the last few years. BD has found a formula for winning that leaves the fans aside (except for the few who claim they love it even though I truly believe you guys want to like but in reality don't). Note: I'm not BD bashing, nor am I saying they didn't earn their titles. I'm barely qualified to have an opinion on the brass line let alone the guard and percussion to make such a statement. I just simply don't enjoy their shows while still being able to appreciate and respect the talent and dedication of the performers.

On the flip side, every year I can remember there's been 3-4 corps that I really liked and the others I watched once and forgot. These forgotten shows were rarely from the same corps. I think Phantom is a great example. I tend to either love their show or totally forget them. While I truly love this year's show, I finally see my dear Carolina Crown taking a step in the direction of high scoring instead of entertaining. As an alumni, I hope they don't go too much further in this direction as I won't put as much effort into understanding the concept as I did this year.

I guess I'm saying, the way shows are evaluated for placement could be altered to better reward "the concept" but I don't see it being that much different than any other year. I don't know exactly how shows are evaluated but I know something needs to be changed when my own personal opinion is consistently different than the judges over multiple years. As far as TOC, it was just a show to me. I don't really put any value into the fact that it was a TOC show or not.

• Like 1

What's the fuss about? I wouldn't mind hearing this live:

Laughably bad.

These two are both incredible singers and don't detract from anything.

Unless the reason you were there was to listen to brass and percussion.....

• Like 5

I liked it. Didn't sound great, but I doubt there has ever been a mass brass encore that has sounded good. I know the ones I saw and performed in were never good. Just too many variables trying to get everyone to play in time and correct together. Just go with it pretty much

• Like 1