Living in a non G7 world.

Now, having said this, I would not want the non G7 Corps to have to feel that they have to roll out the red carpet for the G7 either, and give away things that are important to them. Forget that. I believe both camps need each other for their mutual survival, as well as for the overall fan enjoyment experience.

This ^^^^!! Drum corps needs everyone to survive. If the G7ish are fine with losing all the fans of the non-G7ish corps and think they can still pull it off, then they are slitting their own throats and everyone else's at the same time.

• Like 1

Yes, everyone is needed to survive. I, however, want the G7 (TOC) crap to stop. Not needed. Reunite with DCI and let's forge a stronger partnership as one, not as separate entities.

This. This entire division is toxic. I love many G7 and non G7 corps, but I HATE what the G7 & TOC movement is doing to drum corps. It IS comparable to Mutual Mass Destruction. No one will win. Even just loading up so may shows throughout the season with just the top 7 is a HUGE mistake that drains interest from the season, IMO. I think all the speculation in the past when the top corps only met all at once a few times was very healthy for the activity. Has corps X closed the gap with corps Y? Way too many times now that they are all meeting, and it is bound to hurt attendance at all the other shows that have less top corps in them. Ultimately, the result will be smaller fan base.

To the OP's question. I would still love the activity and attend shows that did not include the current G7 Oligarchy. I am still bitterly disappointed in Phantom, SCV & Cavaliers in particular for going along with the G7 when in the past their interests seemed to align more than many to the overall well being of the activity and all corps. I can't imagine Gail Royer & Don Warren would be pleased with this current movement. I spend less money donating & buying from each corps souvies as a result.

Harvey

• Like 2

This is exactly why losing the regional touring model was a mistake. There was such huge hype for the "second tour" showdowns with the other corps from other regions. Made for a more economical and exciting season.

• Like 2

This is exactly why losing the regional touring model was a mistake. There was such huge hype for the "second tour" showdowns with the other corps from other regions. Made for a more economical and exciting season.

I love that I can go to a show in the earlier part of the season just about anywhere in the country and see a variety of corps of all levels and from all over the country. I don't know if I want to go back to a fully "regional" system. Also, we have to take into account that high school age members often can't get to move-ins until the second week of June, or even later in some cases. Longer public school calendars that end later and start earlier are really driving the touring model more and more.

• Like 2

So I watched the Minneapolis Regional up until the final intermission missing the G7 corps (in this case the G6)

It was one great drum corps experience and though I love G7 shows they are but a part of the show and maybe not "The Show" that some think they are.

I could live in non G7 world. Could you?

I pretty much did last year, I went to DCA Championships...

As far as DCI, NOPERS.... Sorry, I'd like the WHOLE show, not just part of the show...

I love that I can go to a show in the earlier part of the season just about anywhere in the country and see a variety of corps of all levels and from all over the country. I don't know if I want to go back to a fully "regional" system. Also, we have to take into account that high school age members often can't get to move-ins until the second week of June, or even later in some cases. Longer public school calendars that end later and start earlier are really driving the touring model more and more.

All while many of these corps toe the line of catastrophic collapse from year to year, keeping up with the financial rigors of a full summer national touring model. Which is exactly why you don't see corps like OC and Academy meeting up with others until later in the season except for regional shows. It's just putting too much strain on them and doesn't at all foster an environment where new corps can start up without being saddled with significant debt. I wouldn't be surprised if every corps, including Div 1, are barely keeping their heads above water as it is.

This. This entire division is toxic. I love many G7 and non G7 corps, but I HATE what the G7 & TOC movement is doing to drum corps. It IS comparable to Mutual Mass Destruction. No one will win. Even just loading up so may shows throughout the season with just the top 7 is a HUGE mistake that drains interest from the season, IMO. I think all the speculation in the past when the top corps only met all at once a few times was very healthy for the activity. Has corps X closed the gap with corps Y? Way too many times now that they are all meeting, and it is bound to hurt attendance at all the other shows that have less top corps in them. Ultimately, the result will be smaller fan base.

To the OP's question. I would still love the activity and attend shows that did not include the current G7 Oligarchy. I am still bitterly disappointed in Phantom, SCV & Cavaliers in particular for going along with the G7 when in the past their interests seemed to align more than many to the overall well being of the activity and all corps. I can't imagine Gail Royer & Don Warren would be pleased with this current movement. I spend less money donating & buying from each corps souvies as a result.

Harvey

The division is toxic, and it's obvious that there are still two camps even after the BoD changes this winter. Why, for example, don't the TOC shows feature a DrumLine Battle between Cadets & SCV? That would be totally awesome, way more so than singing some Barry Manilow. But the other guys thought up DLB, therefore...

Like you, I've simply stopped spending money with any of the G7 even though I enjoy their performances. No TOC shows, no media purchases, no souvies, no donations. I don't think 7 corps will leave under any circumstances, but if they did I'd certainly continue to support DCI and attend shows.

• Like 1

This whole G7 / non-G7 is exactly like MAD (mutually assured destruction) from the bad old days. Neither side can really survive without the other (regardless of what they want to fool themselves into believing).

They need to all sit down like grown-ups and figure it out.

or, more realistically, they need someone to go in and show them the harsh realtiies in a way that..well...more or less ##### slaps them into working together

Harvey

Totally Agree!!!