Living in a non G7 world.

the beauty of it all is Gibbs and Fielder are smart enough and let Hop be the spokesperson.

or does it speak volumes for those who hide behind another and dont vocally speak up for what they truly believe. I may or may not agree with a persons view on a given subject but have to respect one who stands up and stands by their convictions.

You know how that is Jeff. MANY disagree with alot of what you say ( as with what I may feel about a given subject ) BUT disagree or not you DO stand up for what you believe.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

I could live in non G7 world. Could you?

I'm doing it now. So, yes.

I was referring to business decisions, to elevating DCI to something greater than a series of marching band shows (that aren't even called marching band shows). It's difficult to see a consensus vision emerging from current players.

Elevating DCI to what? I mean, that is what drum corps is, in the loosely defined notion of some - a series of marching band shows under a different name. Do you want DCI to move into some other line of work?

I agree that consensus has been lacking lately. But what is the difference? The G7, given their opportunity, have merely created another series of drum corps shows, just with I&E acts before the show and a return to a mass finale. Meanwhile, the rest of DCI has come up with SoundSport and Drumline Battle - a little more imaginative, but still carrying drum corps DNA. Neither of these visions will elevate DCI to something greater than a series of "marching band" shows.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not just seizing on possible poor word choice to win a debate.

I don't know what the vision should be. But it's not my responsibility to know. You might even argue it need not be the responsibility of any single corps director. And that's exactly the problem.

Drum corps as it's done now (and as it was done in the past) is not the solution for reversing the activity's consistent decline over what soon will be half a century. Elevating it. Revamping it. Rejuvenating it. I have no more insight into the verb than the future. What I do know is the current structure isn't working for governance or vision. The organization needs organizational and business leadership. That's not going to come from one corps, one vote - as best I can tell.

One good turn deserves another. I would have asked the same question as cixelsyd, had he not already done so, and I think he like me is entirely serious in asking: do you want the concept of drum corps radically changed? No more competitions between marching musical ensembles on a large field? If so, I think most fans will disagree: they want drum corps fixed, not remade into something entirely different. (If we're talking about the structure of the organizations as opposed to the nature of the activity, many more people would agree with you.)

• Like 1

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not just seizing on possible poor word choice to win a debate.

I don't know what the vision should be. But it's not my responsibility to know.

Oh. I thought you might have a particular vision of your own in mind.

You might even argue it need not be the responsibilty of any single corps director. And that's exactly the problem.

Drum corps as it's done now (and as it was done in the past) is not the solution for reversing the activity's consistent decline over what soon will be half a century. Elevating it. Revamping it. Rejuvenating it.

IMO, growing it. More specifically, IMO, growing participation in drum corps... which, inevitably (IMO) means more corps. Once I lay those few cards on the table, you can see where I stand on most G7 related issues.

I have no more insight into the verb than the future. What I do know is the current structure isn't working for governance or vision. The organization needs organizational and business leadership. That's not going to come from one corps, one vote - as best I can tell.

I am not so sure. For one thing, there is an idea floating around now where a future DCI BOD would be composed of selected representatives from the individual corps BODs, instead of the corps directors. It is entirely possible that the "one corps, one vote" dynamic would play out very differently when the people executing it are representing the business interests of their respective corps, instead of their competitive interests.

Meanwhile, is the "one corps, one vote" system really to blame for the dysfunction we have seen recently? I would say we have deviated quite a bit from the "one corps, one vote" principle. In fact, we have never really had that principle, seeing that there have always been participating corps in DCI who are denied membership - "one corps, zero vote". But DCI has strayed further from that principle with the smaller executive BOD setups. And the G7 saga has been more like a two-party political drama, rather than individual corps casting votes that demonstrate their individuality.

One good turn deserves another. I would have asked the same question as cixelsyd, had he not already done so, and I think he like me is entirely serious in asking: do you want the concept of drum corps radically changed? No more competitions between marching musical ensembles on a large field? If so, I think most fans will disagree: they want drum corps fixed, not remade into something entirely different. (If we're talking about the structure of the organizations as opposed to the nature of the activity, many more people would agree with you.)

What I want and what I think will (must?) happen aren't necessarily the same.

For instance, I used to be one of those who jumped to explain why drum corps isn't marching band. No more. I'm coming to think the distinction is more destructive than constructive. Do I want woodwinds in drum corps? Not necessarily. Do I fear woodwinds in drum corps? Not as I once did. In fact, I fear more that there will be no drum corps if we don't find a way to bring the drum corps and marching band communities closer together. The drum corps side needs their numbers and the revenue opportunity that represents.

We can't preclude that the fix requires remaking some important aspects of drum corps. I suppose that's where I'm sympathetic to the G7 - at least in the sense that it wants to break the stagnation and start the activity moving. Marching band shows that can't even be called marching band shows aren't a plan for saving drum corps.

HH

Yea, you gotta wonder if Hop even considered it as he was glowing in his leadership training...

well, Jeff since going to SCV has stayed low key...not even as public as he was with Cavies. Gibbs always stays quiet. And, hop lives for this stuff.

The real funny thing is Phantom,Coats, and the internet darlings Crown. I'm really surprised their reps havent taken the beating

or does it speak volumes for those who hide behind another and dont vocally speak up for what they truly believe. I may or may not agree with a persons view on a given subject but have to respect one who stands up and stands by their convictions.

You know how that is Jeff. MANY disagree with alot of what you say ( as with what I may feel about a given subject ) BUT disagree or not you DO stand up for what you believe.

well, I gotta be honest. With a more and more mobile 13 month old, it's more likely I kneel, crawl or I'm hunched over for what I believe

:tongue:/>

Hiding behind the kids already, eh?

tongue.gif

more like trying to catch up. she can crawl fast!

For instance, I used to be one of those who jumped to explain why drum corps isn't marching band. No more. I'm coming to think the distinction is more destructive than constructive. Do I want woodwinds in drum corps? Not necessarily. Do I fear woodwinds in drum corps? Not as I once did. In fact, I fear more that there will be no drum corps if we don't find a way to bring the drum corps and marching band communities closer together. The drum corps side needs their numbers and the revenue opportunity that represents.

Whereas I've always thought of drum corps as a kind of marching band, and I've noted several times on these forums that I'd have no problems with woodwinds in corps, as long as they couldn't be miked. (But I don't think that drum corps needs woodwinds.)