Leveling the playing field

As a follow-on to TerriTroops Move in idea, here is a far more radical suggestion to leveling the playing field:

All prospective members apply to DCI, and DCI randomly assigns the to individual units. Corps would draw numbers for each section annually - one year, Phantom might get the first mello, Pioneer the second, all the way doen until the last mello is assigned.

Also, there is one, universal set of 'dues' - everyone pays the same.

Transportion to rehearsals would nee to be worked out.

I understand this has about as much a chance as Hopkins pushing a rule for g v/r bugles only; not to mention it is a rather Soviet approach. But, how would Pioneer score against Crown if they were both the same size and with roughly equal talent levels of the members?

• Like 3

I would not audition if this happened.

I want to know where I'm having to travel for camps.

I am auditioning for a corps that I WANT to be a part of.

And there are many other reasons why not.

Plus DCI doesn't really have the right to control who goes to what corps, like stated above, they are independent organizations that participate in DCI.

No. No. No.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 3

Staff salary cap/show design fee cap and member fee cap would be nice :) Other than that, the 'communal membership' thing is a no-no for sure. I marched where I marched because I loved that corps.

Again, it isn't always about "winning" and I think that is what this type of system would be trying to even out. People join a corps for a number of reasons, like distance, tour schedule, staffing, or for me, traditions. Every corps has their own unique history and embraces their own traditions - which appeal uniquely to each person marching with them. If you randomize it, all those traditions and histories mean, well, nothing.

IMHO, the best way to level the playing field is to raise more money, either by corporate sponsorships for a corps, fund raising, whatever...it's all about the money. The money, the better the food, buses, places to stay, and most of all you can afford a top notch staff and keep them. For an example see Star of Indiana.

Blue Devils make a good amount of money from a I hear, seems to work for them.

Why go to a corps struggling to make it, with bad buses, banged up equipment, sub par food when I can go somewhere with overall better facilities....

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 1

So, are you saying a member could possibly be assigned a new corps each year according to the draw? If so, then NO!!!

Part of the corps experience (according to my kids) is spending the summer with your corps "family". This would destroy these relationships just for the sake of what....trying to level the playing field?

Nope, not a good idea!

JKT90: And yes, sometimes going on tour with your friends can make up for bad busses, banged up equipment, and sub par food, cause you're all in it together.

Unfortunately this would never work out. So many reasons, financially being the first. If you want to march a corps close to home in the Midwest, but get sent to Arizona, that could be more than you can afford financially for traveling to camps all winter and spring. What happens if a girl is drawn for the Cavaliers or Madison Scouts? I do think there are other things that could be done to level the playing field. The biggest is to find a way to get more member retention on the lower placing corps. If everyone that was with Pioneer, stayed with Pioneer until they aged out, Pioneer would potentially be a top 12 corps. I also think if there were more regional circuits like DCM, and corps didn't start to do major touring until mid July, more corps might be able to be financially successful. If I understand correctly, most of the top 12 corps average expenses are around $1,000,000 a year. And most corps performing today have at least $500,000 in expenses per year. It is always going to be tough for the lower placing corps to get to the point that the upper corps are at.

In my opinion, the best way to level the playing field, if that is what you want to see happen, is.....DONATE to the lower placing corps. More finances allows for more staff, safer buses, better instruments, and a number of other things that will allow those corps to be more competitive. Donate to the fuel fund, but a T-shirt or patch or CD or DVD. But the more you support the lower corps, the better off they will be. And be sure to go and support them while they are performing on the field as well. There are years where there are only 300 people in the stands for the Open Class corps during prelims, but there are 20,000 people to see the G7. I think it would be great for the activity if we had 25-30 corps that all had a realistic chance of making finals, and 8-10 corps that would have a legitimate shot at the title.

• Like 1