No Shows Until Can See Live - WORTH IT?

Considering how much people ##### about the low quality of Fan Network, not sure why anyone would buy it. DCI has a LONG way to go to make that package worth it. There is nothing on Fan Network that isn't readily accessible for free on You Tube. Do Better, DCI.

Not true at all.

I tried to not watch anything this year before my first show, but it just didn't work.. I love watching beforehand so I know exactly what to look out for when I see a corps live! Too tempting for me. Y'all have serious willpower.

I've only been watching drum corps for two seasons.

Last year I devoured everything I could find on youtube before my first ever drum corps show in Denver...which, unfortunately, was messed over because of rain. Because of that rain, I made a spur of the moment decision to drive to San Antonio for the regional. Great decision because I got to see ALL of the corps.

This year, I've stayed away from youtube...I saw BK's send off show...saw some great performances in Denver...and that's it.

I plan on buying the DVD of the top 12, so that will be the only time I get to see all the shows.

I'm satisfied with that.

• Like 1

I would give anything to live in a town, or close to a town, that hosted one of these big shows with a dozen or so top corps. If you do, you're sooooo lucky! I would wait for the live shows too... but alas, all I have is fan network. Hey, it's not that bad. But nothing, absolutely nothing, compares to seeing these shows live. It's kind of the like the Grand Canyon that way.

I've been to Indy a few times but can't swing it every year. And even if I could, that would be a L O N G time to wait to see the shows!

ALL interesting and helpful replies. Thanks guys! I DO know some of what to expect from listening to the field pass and seeing pics but am excited by not knowing what to expect for EVERY show. Will report back after Sunday to see if it made my experience more enjoyable.Maybe next year I will go the opposite route and try to follow more shows from the very beginning to see just how much and how quickly everyone improves, just haven't had the time this year, so I decided to do this little "experiment". Being a long-time fan it is hard not to read any reviews to see how my faves are faring though...

I don't find FN bad at all. In fact, I'd say the quality is more impressive than I would think you could get online for some events. It doesn't, for me at least, diminish the impact of seeing a show live. Live is 1000 times better than even the DVD's. The FN just gives me enough to know what to look for and where the impacts are, and actually helps me enjoy the live show better. That way I'm not constantly going "wait, what did I miss over there? Darn!".

In the NW, we have only a few early season shows locally. We may get to see one of the top 5, another in the top 12 and the rest of the NW corps.Its just a fact we can only get so many corps to come up to the pacific NW. That being said, I will watch all the corps at least once on fan network fairly early in the summer to see what they are all doing.

It gives me an idea of what to look for and see how they all compare (in my eyes) at the same time. I try to go to Indy every year to watch the final products from most of all the corps starting on Thursday. Anyway, I like to get an idea or two during the summer so I know what to look for. Besides, to fully understand these complex shows, Most of us need 3-4 viewings to see most of everything going on.

During finals week. I try to give the guards, drums and horns a night each to focus on. But, that is 3 straight days of drum corps and sometimes, that is hard to do. LOL

Just curious, and forgive me if this belongs in a separate and "off-season thread," but how many do you think get the fan network and DVDs (or Blu Ray) each year? DVDs and CD combo? I'm only asking because the seasons I watch more drum corps I'm less likely to buy the DVDs right away. And by more I mean scouring the internet every day during the summer.

As for the topic, it really is a double-edged sword. Shows are always better when you know where to look, and with many of today's shows of multiple things happening at once it helps. But nothing beats a fresh pair of eyes, that feels like you are seeing drum corps for the very first time again, when you see it live.

I did it in 2011 just to try it and I didn't like it. Atlanta was the first and only time I saw or heard any shows (other than Crown) that year. I found myself getting bored/lost/confused most of the time. Even the shows I was sure I'd love went right over my head that night. The funny thing is, some of the same shows that made me go huh.gif the first time I saw them are some of my favorites today. But that might just be me. I like to know as much as I can about a show before I see it live, but I realize I'm in the minority.

Edited by crownisking

I am normallly an uber corps junkie, but I did that last year. Didn't watch any of the videos or listen to recordings until I saw the Houston TOC show. I actually really enjoyed it - it was nice to approach it "clean." I found that without pre-informed opinions, I found myself enjoying every show, even ones that I normally would not.

Mike