DCI major announcement?

Yeah, I'm 3000 miles away, and not a single problem here. I've got pretty darn fast Internet though that I'm hooked right into, so that could be affecting it.

Ahhhh, wish I could get 3000 miles away from Atlanta

WHO DAT

Look, fans who know nothing about DCI aren't going to magically trip across the Fan Network on August 10th. This is meant for fans who already know about it. And because we get to stream it, I can hook this up to a projector at my school, and get 10-20 people together to watch it.

You can, but you should probably contact DCI about the legality of that. They very well may permit it, but in most cases it's not allowed (though most people do it anyway).

• Like 1

The price is not too high. Its finals, the premier show of the year. Every year in indianapolis they have increased attendance numbers, which means either one of two things (or both), that more people are making the trek from their home to indianapolis, or people from the indi area are becoming interested in the activity (new fans).

I happen to live in ohio. Its a 3 hour drive from columbus to indianapolis, 5 from cleveland. Very fortunate. But people on the west coast? How many don't fly into indjanapolis because the plane ticket is going to cost considerably more than the hotel and finals ticket combined? I bet a lot of people.

This is designed for people who want to go to finals but cannot shell out hundreds on travel, hotel, and a ticket. A 70 dollar ticket to finals is a pretty decent seat, better than the $35 dollar one. And you are getting a better view of the show than the people in the cheap seats. Only difference is you are not physically there. But that would not change for you unless finals was considerably closer, not considerably cheaper. And isnt it 50 for fan network subscribers? Seriously its a great deal.

Where did they announce this? Is it only for those who.bought a DVD/Blu-Ray?

Can't remember when the announcement was made ... but yes, it if for those who have purchased FN subscriptions ...

still unclear if one has to buy the BR/DVD to see the immediate replay of Finals on Saturday night ...

it does not mention the replay specifically on the $69 FN "basic" plan ... but Finals is included in the list of VODs

Has anybody seen anything regarding the image quality for this broadcast? There is currently no information in the FAQ at www.dcifinals.com...

-----------------------------------

From the viewpoint of a long-time fan (once a rabid one, now an interested one):

The addition of a live, streamed Finals broadcast is a welcome offering. I do not belong to FN (financially able to, however) and view the $69 cost as a very reasonable price to pay to

1. Enjoy Finals

2. Not have to invest multiple days of travel, hotels, food, etc. in a town/area I don't have an interest in visiting (Finals alone is not enough of a draw for me anymore) and the amount of time required isn't worth it to me anymore

3. Potentially watch FINALS with other people (parents, fellow DC fans) w/o financial/time constraints that a lot of them have

As an additional data point, I do still plan on attending the Thursday theater broadcast, so it's not an either/or proposition, and given my current work/travel schedule's uncertainty, attending a live show prior to Indy is 50/50.

I wonder how many long-time DC fans have similar circumstances that $70 to see Finals...live...versus nothing or not going to Finals in person is a VERY worthwhile expenditure...?

Has anybody seen anything regarding the image quality for this broadcast? There is currently no information in the FAQ at www.dcifinals.com...

I wish drumcat were still around to fill us in on these kinds of details. I'm hoping they are going with a different streaming provider than whatever Fan Network is on (Brightcove?), or if not that, then a new architecture to balance things out better, given the issues we've seen with the big events this year.

I also hope their front-end web servers for dcifinals.com are going to be able to handle the load throughout. I couldn't connect to Fan Network when I got home Sunday night so I missed seeing the last few corps live, but it appears the stream (mostly) held up for folks who were already in, so that says to me that their front end servers (which should be relatively easy to scale up/out) need a boost, at least on livestream nights. (This is the magic of cloud computing, y'all. Spin up some extra servers as you need them on regional nights, run barebones in the off-season.)

Everyone is complaining about the FN... But,is this format for finals going to be handled by the same server/company? This is what I am most concerned with. Will the finals broadcast be more consistent and higher quality than the FN, or will it be a rehash of the FN?

I was a bit disappointed that even with a Fan Network subscription, you still have to pay extra for finals, but I guess "we" have to make money somehow...I may just watch semis (included in the subscription) and wait for the DVDs for Finals...haven't decided yet..