If BD Wins, We Riot!

good for you. many other PAYING customers don't.

DCI's not really in a place where it can keep seeing fans ###### off and walking away

Then why don't you and your naysayers stay home and let's see what happens. Maybe the whole thing is broken and should change!

That and surprisingly the end of Cavies show, when they added the dubstep dance break. That got a lot of attention from the kids

right, because that's what hot with kids.

we all slag the Beibers of the world on here, and IMO, rightfully so LOL.......but he's selling out crowds everywhere and zillions of cds/dvds/downloads etc.

We can't even get full shows on dvd's because of licensing and get the balance of the amped instruments right

• Like 1

Then why don't you and your naysayers stay home and let's see what happens. Maybe the whole thing is broken and should change!

more and more are, havent you noticed?

DCI has

• Like 1

oh you'd love to know

:ph34r:/>/>/>

wouldn't you love to know what i know! about you.

Edited by srb30a
  • Like 1

SOME people are booing for the reason you've given.

I think most fans are booing ( well, those that ARE booing are doing so ) because they're tired of the show designs; mostly their quality...

I just can't comprehend that this year. I have strongly disliked several of BD's shows over their recent reign at the top, but this show is freakin' amazing. I don't think the haters are really giving it much of a chance. They were predisposed to hate it, based on other BD show designs, and have not given it a chance. It's not a throw the babies type of show (that isn't BD's thing ... and people need to get over that) but it is worlds better than BD's 2010 and 2011 shows. BD should be applauded for moving away from the incoherence of those shows ... not booed.

You don't have to research anything to enjoy it, although doing some background research could probably enhance all of the shows. I am seriously dumbfounded as to why people hate this years BD show. I am convinced it is BD hatred, and not the show ... because they show is freakin' amazing and quite engaging.

When you say you need to do research to understand BD's show, do you mean that you don't understand Rite of Spring? Because Rite of Spring is one of the most influential and well known pieces of the 20th century. I sure hope drum corps audiences aren't unfamiliar with Stravinsky. If you can't understand Stravinsky then I think it is time to move on.

Actually...i'm less disdainful of this years show than any since 07, because I like the Rite of Spring, and the original source stuff from Sebelsky.

But...the way it's presented just leaves me flat. Yeah they are clean as hell. We can debate the various reasons for that in other threads.

As such, I'm not a music major, so I don't really know the background on Rite. I do know the music...drum corps introduced me to it. But i've never had the time and desire to go find out what stravinsky was thinking when he wrote it.

And believe it or not, a lot of people world wide aren't familiar with him. You've proved what many are saying.....that drum corps has become this place where you have to be a music major to know this stuff. I can guarantee you many fans won't know it's the same guy that did Firebird. I know many drum corps fans that only hear classical music when they go to drum corps shows. I always found it hysterical that my dad's fave was Phantom, and I can guarantee you all he ever had on at home was the Stones and Pink Floyd.

wouldn't you love to know what i know! about you.

I could really care less.

I wasn't clear. Use Wiki to guide you to primary sources. You can also use a sourced article as an informal quote as well.

Ah, great advice then!

Could part of it be that sometimes there is a difference between an actually intelligent design, and one we're all just told is intelligent? I've always found that Bluecoats have show designs that make me think, and have layers to them. I never get told though that I'm un-cultured if I don't understand their show the first time, and I have voiced those concerns frequently. I have been told though that I'm not sophisticated enough to get what BD has been doing lately, and that's kind of annoying. I'm a music major finishing their last year of school, I'm well versed and quite well read. So I'd like to think that I can think critically and evaluate a show design without being told I'm not smart enough to get it. I know people come on here and proclaim that show and that show as high art and the greatest thing ever, because the staff comes out with a press release full of artsy language, and the judges seem to like it. Does that make it high art though, or are we all just buying "art" hook, line, and sinker from the people feeding us the shows?

I'm a big movie person, and I find a lot of comparisons in DCI to that. Critics and people "in the know" were constantly praising Life of Pi last year, so of course I had to go see what all of the hub-bub was about. By the time it was time, I couldn't help but admit it was a well done movie, but extremely contrived in message and tone. Film that was trying to hard in simple terms. But it was critically acclaimed, and if the people whose job it is to evaluate this stuff says it's good, then it has to be good right? Sometimes I even find myself going along with the critical wisdom, even if I don't entirely agree, because they should know what they're talking about, so they must be right. Just things to think about.

Challenge accepted. In Sioux City, IA and in Chicago the 1988 Blue Devils were booed loudly during retreat (yes, while us "kids" were on the field). Funny, because this year is often mentioned when people say they wish BD was like they were back in the "old days".

I have also been hearing some nasty stories about 1980 lately.

A video someone posted recently shows a disgusted fan at Atlanta cursing when the scores are announced. Just what we need to add to the current booing. Maybe they can start throwing things at the field next.

As a US soccer fan, I know what gets thrown at the US Men's National Team when they play games south of the border. When USA played Mexico in Mexico City, "fans" were throwing bags of urine, bags of blood, glass bottles, etc. at the team. The most obnoxious d-bag boo'er looks like a saint in comparison to what happens in Central & South American soccer matches! :tongue:

• Like 1