Allentown 2013

While true... and you and others are focusing on Fugett, the other GE Music judge, Ken Turner for the first time this seasson is the first judge in 9 head to head previous matchups to place SCV over the Cadets in GE Music,... and did so by 3 tenths. So which is the outlier in this caption up to tonite, Fugett or Turner ? I'd say Turner. That said, I'm thrilled to see SCV do well in GE Music as I love their traditional based, audience friendly show.

Having seen the Cadets the previous night in Lawrence..I felt they were a bit flat at A-town in comparison.

You know, I didn't even pay attention to the ticket saying 7pm. I have been attending the show here since 2007, and it has ALWAYS started at 6:30. Besides, it is Allentown, so due to parking, the crowd, the traffic, the walk, the warmups in the park, which all help lend to the excitement, who waits until the last minute to get to the stadium? Apparently over half of the audience. I understand those who had issues with traffic have an excuse, but sitting in the top section, 3 rows from the top, I had to get up and move after every corps until the intermission to let people get to their seats. I have never been so happy that Allentown has good crowd control that will NOT let people into the stands while a corporation is performing.

Now, due to the misprint on the tickets, the start of tonight's show is delayed until 7, with 13 corps performing. It is going to be a long late night. Guess I am just more organized and prepared, since I seen on every thread, website and know from the history the show starts at 6:30 always. Anyway, a Guy in my section also said that the ticket company "double sold" some seats, and DCI has fired the ticket company.

• Like 1

This is normally the hardest crowd of the season to please. But i am getting reports thaat the audience is basically sitting on their hands. Not even giving phantom or scv any love tonight. Any truth to these reports?

I'd basically agree with this, except for the reaction to SCV and to the Trooper's starburst move, people everywhere were on their feet for those. But for the most part the crowd, seemed a bit more subdued then prior years. I also mentioned to my daughter when we were down by the bathrooms looking back at the stands that it seemed a bit smaller than I remember.. but that could be just a warped memory of prior years.

One thing I can say for sure - since the stadium was redone and the field is probably about 15 yards further away from the stands than it used to be, when you are in the upper deck (I was row 11 in section Q, so 2/3rd to the top), no corps could be called "loud". Even end-of-show-hold-the-chord-and-play-as-loud-as-you-can didn't come close to blowing your face off. But more importantly, a lot of the rest-of-the-show (especially cadets) was very hard to hear. The Cadets mello soloist - for more than half of the solo I had to strain to hear (to confirm it was my 41 year old ears, I asked my 13 year old as well and she felt the same).

However the visual is just so much better and understandable from that height. That 15 yards has made a huge difference in volume though imo.

Lately it seems anytime I say anything about them I get some. Psh, I could care less. Nice to see my favorite corps doing well! :thumbup:/> That drumline and front ensemble are ridiculous this year.

First time seeing them live - when the corps is hidden behind the props, I never noticed there were flag tosses going on - that was probably the most well done and coolest visual effect I've seen in a while.

My 13 yr old daughter loves Les Mis - i glanced over at her during the show at a few parts and the look on her face was worth the price of admission alone. Thank you SCV!

I have never been so happy that Allentown has good crowd control that will NOT let people into the stands while a corporation is performing.

So would that policy be a kind of corporate welfare?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Edited by N.E. Brigand

So would that policy be a kind of corporate welfare?

Lol. I noticed that after I posted it. D#*! Autocorrect

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

1375500574[/url]' post='3300772']

Allentown Night One: quick review.

Phantom looked great. Thought there guard was stellar. Sound was solid but not loving the evil queen. Just looks a bit cheesy but didn't interfere with show.

It wouldn't be a Phantom show if nobody got killed...

1375500574[/url]' post='3300772']

Allentown Night One: quick review.

Phantom looked great. Thought there guard was stellar. Sound was solid but not loving the evil queen. Just looks a bit cheesy but didn't interfere with show.

It wouldn't be a Phantom show if nobody got killed...

1375497366[/url]' post='3300726']

Hey all, grabbing dinner now.

Reports of a lame crowd are false. Everyone got big props from the crowd tonight. Last year was the best Allentown crowd ever, and this one was almost as good. Tomorrow will be better.

Surprised Bluecoats didn't beat Phantom. It really should have been a full point the other way. Also surprised at the close spread from SCV to Cadets. Need to see the recap.

Glad you enjoyed my tweets. Just wish they'd been attributed better later in the show.

Being from Cleveland I have to go Bluuuuuuue. My critique of last night was their electronics were too loud. Marimbas in the pit were drowning out the tenors on the field. Having seen this show twice before I was expecting even better. I was disappointed.

Edited by Fr. Andrwe

HUH? Cadets swept all the other music judges. Fugget was in line with his peers. It's the other judge that was out there on their own... so to speak.

Fugget and Turner gave SCV basically the same score. Fugget, however, gave The Cadets a score that was .8 higher than SCV, which is a huge spread compared to the other music judges. The Cadets are not .8 better than SCV.

Edited by jasgre2000