2014 Predictions!

I'll have a go now....

Top 4 is a toss up... these could be in any order really, but his is how I see them shaking out...

1. Cadets... Anybody who thinks that this hornline, battery ( https://soundcloud.com/pillyg/cadets-2014 ) and show is anything less than top 3 is smoking crack. My favourite for the whole kit and kaboodle

2. Blue Devils... They will always be in the hunt, but seem to be on a mission this season... And, they are getting their old-school mojo back

3. Crown... I think this corps COULD win, but I think this show is just a bit too "over-designed" and will be REALLY difficult to clean

4. Santa Clara... Will keep the push on for a ring... They're back boys and girls... they are back.

The rest of the definites for Finals...

5. Boston... New identity, smoking hornline and a killer book... Will be really good but not to that Top 4 tier

6. Bluecoats... Just a gut feeling on this one

7. Madison... Another solid year for the men from Madison

8. Phantom... A bit like Crown in that this all may be a bit too much change to take in in one season...

9. Cavaliers... New uniform, again a solid Finalist but I think the changing of the guard has took place. We should get used to this from the Green Machine for the next few years

10. Blue Knights... NOt getting a great feeling from this corps. They will be solid and all that, but I feel they are stuck in a rut... They need to shake things up a bit and take some chances

And vying for the last two spots (in no particular order)

11. Troopers... Good retention and they were soooo close last year (should have been in and Blue Stars out in my opinion)

12. Crossmen... Identity changes are often rewarded and Bones is as deserving as anyone for a Saturday night slot

Spirit of Atlanta

Blue Stars

Edited by Cainan
  • Like 1

I'm not disputing anything you've said, but since I'm not all that experienced in things drum corps I wonder if you could expand on this "rut" you think they are stuck in? I'm also wondering what can be done by BK to "shake things up a bit and take some chances"? I thought they did that with Avian.

10. Blue Knights... NOt getting a great feeling from this corps. They will be solid and all that, but I feel they are stuck in a rut... They need to shake things up a bit and take some chances

Edited by Gloryah

I don't know that I can "explain" it as such... if I could, I would be on a DCI design team...

To be fair, I think a lot of it may be down to slotting and is of no fault of the corps.... The last thing I want to do is take anything away from the kids on the field. I was once one of those kids and a sure know how hard they all work. Clearly, they are better than the 11-12 place corps, but the rest of the 7-9th place corps just bring something else to the table... perhaps it's a bit more pizzazz (in the case of Madison) or perhaps it's historical pedigree (Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment)... Heck, I think you could argue that English Folk Songs a couple years ago could have easily placed 2-3 spots higher, but for some reason, they just seem to struggle to get the big GE numbers... Technically they are as good as anyone around them. But you're ###### if you do and ###### if you don't. If they decide to go out and do something completely different, they will get ripped to shreds because they are viewed as such a "traditional" corps.

Please don't misinterpret anything I say about this corps... I have been a big fan since 92 , my age out year, and they beat us soundly that season.

Tonight will allow us a glimpse into the new season. Again, webcasts will never capture the color, emotion, multiple visual nuances and sheer magic of what these corps give us, BUT, it will be much better than the forums of hear say.. Good luck to all these amazing performers in all of the corps tonight. Be blessed on your journey throughout our great country and soak up every last minute of it as it passes way too quickly..

Edited by theCHEZman

After hearing about all the top 9 corps, I'm completely flustered and have no idea how to place them. I give up.

I'll have a go now....

Top 4 is a toss up... these could be in any order really, but his is how I see them shaking out...

1. Cadets... Anybody who thinks that this hornline, battery ( https://soundcloud.com/pillyg/cadets-2014 ) and show is anything less than top 3 is smoking crack. My favourite for the whole kit and kaboodle

2. Blue Devils... They will always be in the hunt, but seem to be on a mission this season... And, they are getting their old-school mojo back

3. Crown... I think this corps COULD win, but I think this show is just a bit too "over-designed" and will be REALLY difficult to clean

4. Santa Clara... Will keep the push on for a ring... They're back boys and girls... they are back.

The rest of the definites Finals...

5. Boston... New identity, smoking hornline and a killer book... Will be really good but not to that Top 4 tier

8. Phantom... A bit like Crown in that this all may be a bit too much change to take in in one season...

9. Cavaliers... New uniform, again a solid Finalist but I think the changing of the guard has took place. We should get used to this from the Green Machine for the next few years

11. Troopers... Good retention and they were soooo close last year (should have been in and Blue Stars out in my opinion)

12. Crossmen... Identity changes are often rewarded and Bones is as deserving as anyone for a Saturday night slot

Spirit of Atlanta

Blue Stars

Um, no. Cavaliers aren't going to get 9th ( the worse placement in maybe 30 years) with the show they have this year.

Bluecoats are pretty smokin' this year too.

Blue Knight's show is definitely a show that is NOT stuck in a rut. It's probably most like last year's show, but with a fresh coat of paint!

I was wondering if you have you seen any of these shows yet. Are you going off of last year? Things are shaking up this year!

Interesting take on things for sure! It would be neat to see Cadets take it this year with that show design. I agree that brass and percussion are very strong!

Edited by jjeffeory

Spirit of Atlanta

Blue Stars

I never understood why they should be in finals besides everyone liking them and not caring about Stars. They beat Blue Stars once and that was a show where Stars only had a 15 minute warm up (Evansville 2 hour rain delay). Head to Head Blue Stars won 23-1 with a 2 point difference 16/23 times with the biggest point differences the week before finals. They were NEVER close until the last night where they magically were a tenth behind.

• Like 2

Madison will jump this year...and their show will be the fan favorite, which is more important than anything else. Hoping for top 6.

• Like 1

I'll have a go now....

The rest of the definites Finals...

Spirit of Atlanta

Blue Stars

Considering Cadets' STRONG suits were brass and percussion last year and they got 3rd, I don't see them placing first with a similar formula this year. Great musically, poor design-wise.