The staff merrigoround

But the "Audience Engagement" part of the sheet is supposed to counter-balance that. Unfortunately, the judges either didn't care, did't understand, or didn't think SCV was entertaining vs BD.

Engagement & entertainment aren't necessarily the same thing.

*paging Schnitzel*

couldn't agree more.

I don't give a #### where they place, but the fact that I didn't enjoy their show/music for the very first time since I've started following drum corps (and probably the 10 or so shows before that as well) PISSES ME RIGHT THE HELL OFF!

glad he's gone... now i just hope they don't make another bone headed hire... but it's PR, that's what they do.

Right there with you. I wanted to...I really did. This show never reached me on an emotional level. I enjoyed the top 4 exponentially more than PR and when have I ever been able to say that?!?

Tradition. Always.

• Like 1

Right there with you. I wanted to...I really did. This show never reached me on an emotional level. I enjoyed the top 4 exponentially more than PR and when have I ever been able to say that?!?

Tradition. Always.

I see what you did there. :)

• Like 1

But the "Audience Engagement" part of the sheet is supposed to counter-balance that. Unfortunately, the judges either didn't care, did't understand, or didn't think SCV was entertaining vs BD.

Engagement & entertainment aren't necessarily the same thing.

*paging Schnitzel*

I certainly can as an audience member get deeply 'engaged' with the educational and historical aspects of the artistic progression of Dada as well as the intellectual and theoretical progression of re:Rrite of Spring; and am happy to be so engaged (in an academic setting with a professor and artistic/academic performers). But at a DCI show I, as well as an overwhelming growing number of disenchanted people, want to get 'engaged' as audience members with shear high quality entertainment (as in a rock concert type setting with Rush and U2). This lack of 'venue specific purpose of engagement' disconnect between the two settings is currently a huge problem with the way the judges are interpreting the GE sheets.

• Like 1

This lack of 'venue specific purpose of engagement' disconnect between the two settings is currently a huge problem with the way the judges are interpreting the GE sheets.

I think that's a very fair assessment, and it's one that needs to be addressed. Sadly, not by us, by by the judging community.

• Like 1

I think that's a very fair assessment, and it's one that needs to be addressed. Sadly, not by us, by by the judging community.

[paging Schnitzel...again!]

In his absence, he'd probably say what they're supposed to address first and foremost is achievement and excellence in the design as well as the performance, whether they like the shows or not. Remember that the criteria are proposed by the corps themselves and are what they consider to be worthy of judgement and reward (or lack thereof). If anyone needs to change things, it's the corps and the rules committee. The judges are just doing the jobs that they're assigned to the best of their abilities.

References:

http://www.marchingr...of-a-top-judge/

http://www.marchingr...ents-in-a-show/

http://www.marchingr...nce-engagement/

http://www.marchingr...nce-engagement/

Edited by chaos001
  • Like 1

... what they're supposed to address first and foremost is achievement and excellence in the design as well as the performance whether they like the shows or not...

True... but what is happening in the DCI GE captions today is that if one corps emulates the Kronos Quartet performing variations on the twelve-tone-row music of Schonberg and the visual aspects of modern interpretive dance, and another corps emulates the hot sounds of Here Come The Mummies along with the visual aspects of Broadway, no matter if those two corps were equal in performance engagement quality, instead of a tie because they were equal in engagement transmission the GE scores will now always fall on the side of favoring the Schonberg show (all in the name of moving DCI into the realm of deep intellectual artistic complexity and away from entertaining escapism).