Would a Christian drum corps be accepted?

Maybe Tom Cruise could fund a Scientology corps.

• Like 2

To do shows that share the gospel and spiritual matters of life.....forgiveness, loving your brother, etc; Not force feed but just do what they do? I think churches would financially back it and Christian horn players would like to be part of that. What do you think?

Sure, why not? They could do Faust as their first show.

• Like 1

Been with us for a long time,...........ever hear of St' Andrew's Bridgemen?,.........or Holy Name Cadets?.............how about Blessed Sacrament?

For the most part, the only thing religious about the church based corps years ago was the corps name. Pretty good chance a good percentage of mm never attended church on a regular basis. If this idea ever gave it a go, I wonder how long before some group complained and the next thing you know, the ACLU is trying to shut them down.

• Like 3

There's a big big BIG difference in what the audience experiences between a corps playing music that originated as religious music for their show, (or even the Glassmen's decidedly non-sectarian "prayer" show, or the Cadets Christmas show) and a show performed by a "Christian Drum Corps." If you think that these things are identical in nature, I don't think I could convince you otherwise and would have nothing more to say about it. Again, I'm speaking about how the audience experiences such a thing, not the members that choose to be a part of it, whom I'm sure would have a fine time if it were a well run corps.

I know which kind I'd keep an open mind about and which I'd walk right out of to go grab a hot dog. I go to DCI shows to be entertained, not to be preached at, (and I'm talking about preaching of the distinctly religious kind, not the Hopkinsology of the Cadets 07-08,) shared the gospel with, or taught lessons about morals through a religious lens. And if the purpose of this corps is to evangelize, how could they NOT do those things and be the corps the OP is describing?

Negative all you want, that's just me.

Edited by troon8
  • Like 2

I was thinking this very same thing when I heard that Pioneer played "Awesome God" by Rich Mullins this year (AWESOME song that I would never have thought to see on a football field!) As a Christian I think it would be totally possible, and awesome! All it would take is money and a drive to see this happen.

• Like 1

For the most part, the only thing religious about the church based corps years ago was the corps name. Pretty good chance a good percentage of mm never attended church on a regular basis. If this idea ever gave it a go, I wonder how long before some group complained and the next thing you know, the ACLU is trying to shut them down.

The ACLU only gets involved when there is civil liberties or equal rights issue at stake concerning violations of the Constitution or federal, state or local laws. What Constitutional would be at stake in this case?

• Like 3

Patriots Praise (Phelan, CA) was a junior corps from an evangelical community that performed at several shows in California in 2000.

They had "Christian" dancers instead of a color guard.

At one show they were inadvertently introduced as being the Rochester Patriots (NY), and the crowd was very impressed that such a small corps

would travel across the country to perform.

The ACLU only gets involved when there is civil liberties or equal rights issue at stake concerning violations of the Constitution or federal, state or local laws. What Constitutional would be at stake in this case?

If the Christian based corps does get hit by a ACLU suit, can Cavies and Scouts be far behind in their Males only make up? Edit forgot the "being a smart ### icon" --> :devil:

Hey Brian T.... thinking church based.... City Mission Cadets Corps Warriors... one the few corps to do both Jr and Sr competing....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1