Would a Christian drum corps be accepted?

The difference between Cadets, Madison, Pioneer is that the corps primary purpose would be evangelical. Again...this is just theoretical discussion. And yes....it would be selective. I think the funding would be there. A million dollars over the entire Christian faith churches would not be as difficult...or as easy...as one would think. I think this thread reflects how it would be received.

1376329946[/url]' post='3310441']

The blue jesuses

Could a Christian drum oops exist? Since so many drum corps were started by Catholic parishes, especially in Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey, the answer is yes. If it was financially feasible to run a drum corps, many still would exist. Some parishes decided not to sponsor drum corps due to leadership conflicts, others could no longer field a corps due to lack of interest, most it was due to finances, none that I know of ever folded due to religious issues. I have some knowledge of this matter from my "real world job." I'm a priest and I can assure you if my parish could financially swing it, there would be another drum corps on the scene. The fact of the matter is the teachers at the school need to be paid, buildings need to be pointed, the food pantry needs to function and the canned goods donated help but don't feed a family.

As far as "mega churches" are concerned, they have huge overhead expenses, and a drum corps that competes nationally would not further its mission.

Regarding a Christian themed corps, given that so many shows take place in what is often called "the Bible Belt" they could potentially have a fan base, they'd have some of music's greatest pieces to use for a show,and a timeless story as a basis. Could they use this as a teaching tool? Depends on the staff.

Most likely Pioneer, given some of their repertoire. But that's just a guess.

If you go by their music and Celtic ties, I guess that would make their religion the Druids. w00t.gif

I consider myself fairly tolerant of most faith-based Druid drum corps.

+++

I hate to be serious, but I think the Finleyville (PA) Royal Crusaders did some overtly Christian themed shows circa 1975. I think they formed a cross or did something religious in every show.

http://www.corpsreps...orpstype=Junior

Edited by wvu80

I can see it now,........Guys with black pants, white short sleeve shirts, straight narrow ties,..........no headgear,.......

"Now performing their 2014 production,......The Book of Mormon,........From Salt Lake City, Utah,........The Latter Day Saints!"

Seriously though, can someone put Book of Mormon on the field? not all of the songs need to be censored, there's some great music in there. :thumbup:

Doesn't Pioneer set aside time every Sunday morning to go to church? Not sure if the whole corps has to go, though.

Yes they do. It's not a requirement, but I believe most of them go.

I doubt a corps that evangelizes during their show will go over all that well with the majority of fans. Heck, I am getting tired of Crossmen's save the world themes.

• Like 1

The Cavies did the Christmas Anthem show BITD as well. They played several of John Rutter's sacred works as well around that time. Great programs. Star 1990- Belshazzar's Feast, 1991- Roman Images had a lot of religious images as well. Both very well liked and remembered programs. Heck, Belshazzar's an Oratorio. :satisfied:

I know of a few religiously affiliated HS in the NE that compete every year with a sacred-religiously themed program and have done well and are well received. Why not?

I'd like to think the activity at all levels is supposed to be an arena of ideas, the water's warm. Take a jump in and go for it!