First Show You Ever Saw...

August 12, 1991. I was 14. Went with my band director and a couple of other kids to the Little Rock show. I honestly don't remember the show per se, but I do remember the feeling of being blown away by the first corps, thinking that had to be the best group of the evening. Then the next corps came on and was even BETTER. And then the next corps was EVEN BETTER. And then the next corps was EVEN MORE BETTER! And then the next corps was (as I realized later) STAR OF INDIANA.

I sure wish I remembered more about that show! :tongue:

Weird thing I guess is that I never actually thought about marching for drum corps. I can't say why, it just never crossed my mind as a possibility. I did other things with my summers that I'm glad I did, but I'm sure I would have loved marching drum corps as well. So I've made sure my daughter knows that drum corps is a possibility for her summers once she's a few years older. I think she'll make a great guard member, and I look forward to being a corps dad some day.

• Like 2

First show for me was on PBS: 1995 championships. The first one I saw was Maduson Scouts.

August 12, 1991. I was 14. Went with my band director and a couple of other kids to the Little Rock show. I honestly don't remember the show per se, but I do remember the feeling of being blown away by the first corps, thinking that had to be the best group of the evening. Then the next corps came on and was even BETTER. And then the next corps was EVEN BETTER. And then the next corps was EVEN MORE BETTER! And then the next corps was (as I realized later) STAR OF INDIANA.

I sure wish I remembered more about that show! :tongue:/>

Weird thing I guess is that I never actually thought about marching for drum corps. I can't say why, it just never crossed my mind as a possibility. I did other things with my summers that I'm glad I did, but I'm sure I would have loved marching drum corps as well. So I've made sure my daughter knows that drum corps is a possibility for her summers once she's a few years older. I think she'll make a great guard member, and I look forward to being a corps dad some day.

I pretty much realized the same thing this year. I couldve been in dci in one way or another for the past 6 years of my life. If only i wouldve learned a brass instrument i guess. Didnt enjoy playing the baritone when i did for a few months though. I dont think ive wasted my summers but in hindsight i mightve done things differently.

In high school (1988) our band director kept telling us about this "drum and bugle corps" that we just HAD to watch. He showed us clips of them, and they looked really cool. We tried to emulate some of the drill we saw in our marching band.

Then my two brothers and I were able to watch the 1988 DCI Finals on PBS. HOLY CRAPOLA! I fell in love with Madison Scouts and Santa Clara Vanguard that day. Heck, I currently listen to the entire top 12 from 1988 and it brings me right back.

But then I had the opportunity to see a lineup consisting of Phantom Regiment, BD, Madison, VK, Sky Ryders, Colts and Spartans from WA. It was at Parade Stadium (I think; it's since been demolished) in Minneapolis, 1989. Other than the fact I was already hooked by the 1988 Finals on PBS, this show changed my life forever. And I will always be grateful and follow drum corps until the day I die. I mean, Phantom Regiment 1989??? One of the best shows ever to take the field, in my opinion.

Mid 80's Parade Stadium in Twin Cities - Remember SCV and Sky Ryders being my faves.... remember crowd loving the men from Madison and the announcer with a drawn out Blueeeeeeeeeeee Devils

My first live show was Music on the Move in Tulsa, OK in July 1996. Right around, and including, the Tulsa show was when corps would start breaking 90 for the first time. I was really impressed with a Div II Pioneer that had won a couple titles and that would go on to Div I the next year (haven't been the same since). The show was rained out after Pioneer, so I saw Magic, Crown, Cavies, and Phantom Regiment on a performing arts center stage. All of those performances were great, but PR was incredible.

I first saw the PBS broadcast in 1993 - still my favorite top six.

EDIT: I still have the 1996 "Be Afraid of the Dark" PR tour shirt from that summer and wore it at Indy this year.

Edited by kdaddy

1985 - Normal, Illinois - don't remember anyone else but Phantom Regiment and Symphony Fantasique - we watched from outside the stadium since my parents made me go to church that night - they let me skip the next year and 1986 was my first full show. I think from that point on I went to about 10-15 shows a year all around the midwest and then to the DCI Championships every year until 1996.

The best part was I remember watching that entire first show on TV that Illinois State University broadcast - they showed it repeatedly all summer long - I think I wore out the VCR tape watching it so much.

• Like 1

Port Huron, Mi in 1993 and the top corps there were Crossmen and Blue Devils. For a sophomore high school trumpet player seeing that Blue Devils' hornline up close was a life changing experience. To me the soloists seemed louder than the rest of the line. I still love that Don Ellis book today!!

• Like 1

First show was in 1964 when I was 10. I was in the feeder corps for a decent Garden State Circuit corps, the Livingston NJ Hilltoppers. I was a runner at the show, for those who remember such things, so I got to sit on the field.

Corps I recall being at the show include the Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, who became my favorite corps through the 60's. Garfield was there, I think St Lucy's, St Kevin's, the Audobon Bon bons all-girl corps, and the York PA White Roses.