Can someone explain the G Bugles?

There is a company out there making Bb Soprano Bugles.  And it doesn't sound like it was that hard to make (yes that's sarcasm).

http://andaluciami.com/. <------Arturo Sandoval approves!!!

Take a modern standard Bb trumpet, hack off the bell  from the valve casing ..... and add a King K-20 bugle bell or a DEG Powerbore bell.

Mellophones are basically identical to G mello's ... they just dropped a step and kept the same shape and bell.

But Bari's, Euph's and Tub's could do the same thing by changing the bell shape on Bb instruments.

It wouldn't devalue the resale opportunity.  It doesn't change the intonation of the horn.  It just adds more COLOR capabilities for the player.  KAPOW, bright, sizzle, ringing, normal, warm, dark and everything in between.  Current instruments might go to ringing ... but sizzle bright and KAPOW options are dead.

Edited by supersop
flavor

10 hours ago, supersop said:

There is a company out there making Bb Soprano Bugles.  And it doesn't sound like it was that hard to make (yes that's sarcasm).

http://andaluciami.com/. <------Arturo Sandoval approves!!!

Take a modern standard Bb trumpet, hack off the bell  from the valve casing ..... and add a King K-20 bugle bell or a DEG Powerbore bell.

Mellophones are basically identical to G mello's ... they just dropped a step and kept the same shape and bell.

But Bari's, Euph's and Tub's could do the same thing by changing the bell shape on Bb instruments.

It wouldn't devalue the resale opportunity.  It doesn't change the intonation of the horn.  It just adds more COLOR capabilities for the player.  KAPOW, bright, sizzle, ringing, normal, warm, dark and everything in between.  Current instruments might go to ringing ... but sizzle bright and KAPOW options are dead.

yeah and they allowed Howdy to promote them.

i'll pass

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah and they allowed Howdy to promote them.

i'll pass

Agreed ... but I'm curious why other manufacturers aren't exploring the same idea.

1 minute ago, supersop said:

Agreed ... but I'm curious why other manufacturers aren't exploring the same idea.

I remember one reason for going Bb was resale value. IOW the corps could make a few bucks by selling to old horns to bands or whoever. No idea if that worked or not. Don’t see a market for these used

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I remember one reason for going Bb was resale value. IOW the corps could make a few bucks by selling to old horns to bands or whoever. No idea if that worked or not. Don’t see a market for these used

Many corps make a healthy profit every single year by selling their freshly used horns. 

The only difference would be the bell shape.  I'm sure corps would still be able to have success in the resale market.

14 hours ago, supersop said:

$$$$...who's buying them? the drum corps going back to G horns ship sailed 21 years ago

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Bucs lease many instruments out to bands in the region every fall.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

$$$$...who's buying them? the drum corps going back to G horns ship sailed 21 years ago

Not talking about G's Jeff.  Talking Bb brass with G bell shapes.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, supersop said:

Many corps make a healthy profit every single year by selling their freshly used horns. 

The only difference would be the bell shape.  I'm sure corps would still be able to have success in the resale market.

The corps most likely would be able to sell them at the end of the season or whenever they tried resale. The advantages in sound would be great. I like the idea with the bell being changed out adding to the capabilities for marching sound. Thank you for sharing the link. 

22 hours ago, supersop said:

I’m not so sure. Bands will want to use these used instruments for concert season as well as marching band and I am doubtful band directors will want a Bb soprano for the concert setting.