What's the furthest a DCI Champ fell after winning?

The '89 CD notes, as I recall, refer to Madison as the year's "muscle corps".

• Like 1

I've always love the '89 show. That hornline was killer (oh, the sops!!!). Remains in regular rotation in my car...

...and we loved beating you in pushball at DCM... :cool:/>

Star '89

Thanks...likewise on your horns! Loved that full/balanced, but loud Jimmer horn line!

Fantasia on the Dargason is an alltime favorite of mine!

And pushball - dang, why'd ya have to bring that up? Lol.

We had some talent there, but you guys brought the heavy hitters!

Thanks...likewise on your horns! Loved that full/balanced, but loud Jimmer horn line!

Fantasia on the Dargason is an alltime favorite of mine!

And pushball - dang, why'd ya have to bring that up? Lol.

We had some talent there, but you guys brought the heavy hitters!

I dig the art site...great stuff. Must be an 89 thing, here's an 89 Star alum who is also an artist (marched baritone in 89-90).

http://scottallengallery.com/

I dig the art site...great stuff. Must be an 89 thing, here's an 89 Star alum who is also an artist (marched baritone in 89-90).

http://scottallengallery.com/

Thank you. Glad you like my work! And yep, 89 was a great year

with many talented people around the activity! And thanks for the link.

Great stuff...LOVE his use of light and color!

Phantom 2009 is a very musically under-appreciated show, IMO. No question, the show was a visual disaster. Musically, everything but the middle section is quite solid. The Philip Wilby "Paganini Variations" is a great piece. The show gets regular play on my iPod, but I rarely watch it.

So good.

Isn't there some sort of a review process where the drill is presented to the caption heads - or at least while it's being designed, the other caption heads have input on some of the elements?

Wasn't it due to the fact that once the season started, a significant amount of time was spent changing the drill, meaning there was less time to clean the show?

Yes, and yes. Many whom I have spoken with since 2009, who have some insight about the way Regiment operates, say that while the musical design side had continuity there was an overall problem with the entire visual staff on how to visually interpret what was envisioned by the Administration (who apparently has some micro control over all design choices). This did cause visual rewrite after rewrite; not only in drill, but in body movement, guard work, and cleaning. It therefore was not 'just' a drill design issue; which made me curious as to why the drill designer was the only one made the scape goat at the end of that year.

Edited by Stu

Yes, and yes. Many whom I have spoken with since 2009, who have some insight about the way Regiment operates, say that while the musical design side had continuity there was an overall problem with the entire visual staff on how to visually interpret what was envisioned by the Administration (who apparently has some micro control over all design choices). This did cause visual rewrite after rewrite; not only in drill, but in body movement, guard work, and cleaning. It therefore was not 'just' a drill design issue; which made me curious as to why the drill designer was the only one made the scape goat at the end of that year.

Truth. I seem to recall someone saying that over the course of the season they had relearned drill for virtually the entire show. Like they couldn't make up their mind so they kept changing it til they were happy with it (which I'm guessing never happened).

That was a really cool part. With the intro from the year before, plus the singing was an awesome intro. I wonder if it got cut because of time problems, or because judges said it didn't work?

Sorry to take the convo back, but I marched 2006, so I can answer this. Basically, the into was supposed to be like the opening credits of a movie, or a "last time on...The Zone" showing how 2005 ended, with "History Repeating" over it. It w the same drill. However the drill was at 190 bpm, the pit was @ 144 (I think). It is #### near impossible to march silent drill while the pit plays something in another tempo. We had designated "dut"-ers, but even when near clean, the judges just thought we were all mysteriously out of step with the pit. :blink:

also, the "History" intro + longer "White Rabbit" meant our brass didn't have a forte impact until 2:30 into the show. It just took too long to develop, pacing-wise, and our chops had to go into intricate mf stuff cold.

So, 2/3 of the way through the season we basically put in the 2005 opening there. To quote one of our drummers, "You unlock this door...because the design staff has run out of ideas. Next stop: 5th place."

Basically, Marc Sylvester wanted to push what a corps show could be to (and in the opinion of most, past) the limit. He took every risk--signing, props, costumes, music. There was even talk of the pre-show lot warmup becoming part of the narrative, in character. He really thought we could set the world on fire. This, with more Cadets rookies than I think ever (2005 was stacked, tons of age outs--it shows. We had like 5 vets in the whole low brass I think). In his defense, when he realized all the issues in the design, he sat us down for a tearful talk and told us "You are better than the show you are performing. The fact that those rookies came back in 2007 vs one of the most hungry, hard core & best performing corps even says volumes about the quality of the Cadets "system."

TL;DR: I'm proud of 2006 despite the flaws.

• Like 2

Truth. I seem to recall someone saying that over the course of the season they had relearned drill for virtually the entire show. Like they couldn't make up their mind so they kept changing it til they were happy with it (which I'm guessing never happened).

Yes. Had to use a field after Phantom, it was a mess. They had changed a huge chunk of their show the day before, so they had painted everyone's dot and pathways down. This was around Atlanta time, so probably not the time to be re-writing massive chunks of your show if you want to be competitive.