Worst disaster on a DCI field?

I'm surprised nobody has said Cadets 2008 :tongue:

• Like 4

2010 Carolina Crown. Saw it live and in person, and it was horrid. I don't think he fully realized how badly he was hurt (or it was ADD: adrenaline, denial, or desperation), because he got back up the first time and tried to take a step on a lower leg that had snapped in half. It bent in unsightly fashion. :cry: I, too, did not see any marching member break form to assist him, just female Crown staffers.

Honorable mention, because the guy escaped serious injury: 2002 Magic. Tenor player is backing up at speed and falls backward, the tenors go FLYING over his head (clear, luckily). He got back up, re-harnessed the drums, and ran to his next dot. I'm not sure if it's on the DVDs, but on the CDs I think you can hear the crowd gasp and then, a few seconds later, noticeable cheering in what is otherwise a mundane transition passage.

I'm not going to go into the details, but the all-time worst incident on the field in drum corps...and it's not even close...happened in DCA. In 2005, while the Kilties were performing at DCA Championships Prelims, one of their members had a heart attack. He did not survive.

/thread

There was a marcher also in the 1960's in a Senior Corps show in Boston that arrived just as his Corps ( Archer Epler ( Pa. ) Musketeers ) was stepping off, he was running pell mell with his baritone bugle, he climbed over a chain link fence,then ran as fast as he could into his spot in line as they were moving and seconds later he keeled over with a heart attack. He likewise did not survive his heart attack.

Edited by BRASSO

I have pictures of the rescue on my facebook page. 2 guard staff members were the first responders...then it looked like Jim Coates and a pit 'crew' member ran out to help him. I did not see any marching member physically assist him off the field. The judge approached him, but when the other staffers got there, he kept on judging.

It was absolutely awful and totally deflated the audience for the end of Crown's show and well into Bluecoats performance. It was like a punch in the gut. I'm happy Ryan came back in 2012 to serve as a conductor and he was also on the administrative staff this year and was a very important part of Crown's show this year.....How you ask?

Ryan had to go purchase all of the jock straps for the purplepantsband members :)

Ah, I thought I could see a guard member go to assist him, but I might be mistaken. Since DCI has now edited the videos, no real way to go and check. That's probably for the best though, don't want to relive that all of the time. Like watching Joe Theisman break his led over and over again.

I think that was the rumour, but I don't think anyone from '84 Cadets ever corroborated. I believe it was just an honest mistake of someone getting caught on someone else's feet.

...I'm a firsthander...the "Z-Pull" was one of those wonderful game-changing moves George Zengali and Marc Sylvester came up with for the Garfield Cadets in those years. Powerful, difficult, and not-a-little dangerous, too. It was at prelims at DCI Midwest in Whitewater, and there were no severe injuries sustained...all members went on at finals...at least they had no holes IIRC. :rolleyes:/>

Edited by chasgroh

Honorable mention, because the guy escaped serious injury: 2002 Magic. Tenor player is backing up at speed and falls backward, the tenors go FLYING over his head (clear, luckily). He got back up, re-harnessed the drums, and ran to his next dot. I'm not sure if it's on the DVDs, but on the CDs I think you can hear the crowd gasp and then, a few seconds later, noticeable cheering in what is otherwise a mundane transition passage.

I believe you can see him fall down, but the camera switches away quickly, so you just hear the crowd cheer when he gets back up. Luckily he wasn't hurt, I'm sure a set of tenors landing on you can not be comfortable. Same way luckily the bass 5 drummer in Phantom didn't get hurt when he got tripped by a judge at Atlanta I think?

The Cadets' Whitewater incident was started when a member of Cadets' hornline twisted or broke and ankle as they were starting the last few pages of drill. The amazing thing was that he not only got back up and finished the show, but actually stayed standing for five or six seconds before hitting the ground in pain. It was an EPIC recovery.

...now I have to check! Thought sure no-one was hurt bad enough to miss finals...and do not recall a hole. Could be wrong, of course...

2010 Crown player snaps leg running to closing dot in show.

Sidelines attendant is injured trying to help him off the field.

The worst.

That's not exactly how it happened, but yeah - it was bad.

Not DCI but when I was a junior in high school, at our state competition a color guard girl had a rifle toss featured on the fifty... She caught it with her face and collapsed. An ambulance had to take her away :(

The Cadets' Whitewater incident was started when a member of Cadets' hornline twisted or broke and ankle as they were starting the last few pages of drill. The amazing thing was that he not only got back up and finished the show, but actually stayed standing for five or six seconds before hitting the ground in pain. It was an EPIC recovery.

I was there, behind the chain link fence just past the side two end zone, on the same axis as the part of the Z that went down. Nobody got hurt more severely than bruises and bent horn bells.