Is THIS what it sounds like in Lucas Oil Stadium?

Ive now sat in most of the sections between the 40s in the oil can. Unfortunately, I have to say the video is not that far off. The sound is good between the 40s in 140 and 240, it's ok in 340 and 440, and it's terrible except for long sustained chords in 540 and 640 (though the visual perspective is awesome from 640. This was driven home to me when I moved from the first row of section 640 during finals down to row 14 of 140 for the encore from Crown on Saturday. The difference was STAGGERING - and far different than I experienced in any outdoor stadium, nor in other domes like San Antonio. Crown was not as impactful or impressive as BD upstairs, but sitting down low where you could actually hear all the articulations, it was mind-blowing. A great example would be the wiggly arc they are in when they do the high to low runs about halfway through the show, descending and ascending back from one end of the formation to the other. Upstairs it was just kind of a racous morphing cacophony of sound from one end of the formation to the other. Downstairs you could hear all the phenomenal notes and articulatoin as that phrase went from one end of the line to the other and back.

Exhibit # 1 Million plus as to why I HATE finals indoors, compared to awesome accoustics in Denver, Madison and other great outdoor venues we've had Finals. Worse, In Lucas, unless you want to spend extra on Friends of DCI, (and even that doesn work if you buy a large block of tickets for a group of friend that sit together every year like I do), you only have 2 choices - sit in 140 and forgot seeing drill or the full effect of the program design, or sit in 640 and only see the overall design, have great visual views, and only get to feel what the corps is doing when there are long, slow passages. I don't care how much I pay for tickets - I'll pay the highest prices, but I don't even have the option for those kind of seats in LOS that give you both (sectoins 240-540).

Add to that with this - while Saturday's crowd seemed to be the best I've seen in Indy, Thursday sure looked like the worst. The longer we are in Indy, the more it seems the crowd doesn't really come until Friday or even Saturday night. Four more years right? After that I hope DCI comes to their senses and gets the hell out of LOS.

Harvey

I only went to Finals last year, and I sat in the 600s, and yes the sound is about that bad. We were far to the left for most of the evening, and then moved to the center to watch Blue Devils' encore. Just as you often can't make out the words in the narration here, my friend, seeing BD's show for the first time that night, could barely hear the various French, German and English samples that BD used, and certainly couldn't make out what was being said, whereas via the recordings, people at DCP were able to work up transcriptions of much of that Dada verbiage.

It's good to know that the sound is better lower down, and I presume the judges are lower down, because as I've said before, the music GE scores otherwise should show a notable drop from Allentown.

The sound sucks in there. I'vebeen between the 40's high and low.

The sound sucks in there. I'vebeen between the 40's high and low.

I probably should have added a caveat.

It's still indoors and sounds like it.

I hope most reasonable adults can realize that drum corps indoors always sounds inferior. Even in best-case seating.

yeah but it rained all 3 days at times and we were dry and no humidity or heat

sorry but I'm down with that :w00t:/>

yeah and for all of those other years we went elsewhere...sat outside...and had no rain.....imagine that.

Indy in August=rain.

Orlando in summer=rain.

take those out of the equation and you have Jackson ( a disaster for many reasons) and Boston in 94.

yeah all those outdoor shows...no rain. hmmmm

Ive been every year and compared to 2009, the sound is much better but its still not great. The 240 section if one of the better areas but I like the 140 better. Its a more outdoor sound but you give up almost all the drill. And if you are near a PA speaker, its an electronics blast in your face (as it was for me this year and 2010…curse you Bluecoats). If I go all 3 days, I often move around doing one day high with the others low.

The view is good in the 600 but its a dull rumble, muddy roar of muted far away noise. Ive shorten my trips to Indy, most years just 1 or 2 days now because Im bored with the town and sitting inside a big darken oil can for 3 days in the middle of summer is a bit of a drag. I often feel chilled in there so have to wear pants and take a jacket

Edited by cowtown

I guess I'm the one weirdo who likes it up high. My brain can filter and adjust the sound from up high but can't extrapolate the view from down low. I like to take in the big picture as part of the full experience. It is, however, more disconnected from the rest of the crowd.

I will say I think the first few rows of 600 level sound a lot better than partway up the top half of the RCA dome did. That was like jiffy pop wrapped in bubble wrap and sizzling in a frying pan.