What's next in the evolution of DCI? Make your predictions here.

I don't get this, Mike.

Why is balance not considered when judging a performance caption?

Maybe I don't understand your use of the word "balance".

I take it as you don't want to judge the ensemble sound on the field, you want to judge the individual players, while leaving the ensemble judging (including balance and blend) to the Analysis and Music GE judges (Music GE, because a show with awful balance will be significantly less effective than one with good balance, likely).

• Like 1

I take it as you don't want to judge the ensemble sound on the field, you want to judge the individual players, while leaving the ensemble judging (including balance and blend) to the Analysis and Music GE judges (Music GE, because a show with awful balance will be significantly less effective than one with good balance, likely).

Ahh (while we wait for Mike to respond), your guess is that he was talking about a field judge. His comment was "judging...on the field", which I took as him meaning all judging because, well, all corps are "on the field".

I see what I did there. You're probably right in your interpretation.

We'll see what Mike says.

Thanks

The judges are pretty much the same. The judge that first wrote all by himself the GE caption( back in 1973 and subsequently approved by DCI) is still judging WC Championships week. He's a good guy. But you are just really kidding yourself if you believe there is not a " good old boy network" that remains in DCI. DCI is so ingrained in the DCI " old boy network " from top to bottom in the judging ranks, show design ranks, Corps Directorship ranks, DCI Executive Director ranks, Brass arranging ranks, Percussion arranging ranks, Corps music selection ranks, TV booth ranks, DCI Chief Judge ranks, Video and Audio producing ranks, etc where woman are pretty much non existent in key decision making positions throughout DCI, that its almost fall down funny when somebody says that DCI has moved away from " a good old boy network ".

funny....i dont really know of any women clamoring for these roles you mention. DCI has some female judges, and some have worked big shows. DCI has been adding in some newer blood in the judging ranks, and will continue to.

are there people still there from a long time ago? Sure there is. Guess what...there are people where I work that have been there for 40 years too! Is it all "good ole boy?"

Trust me...accountability's there, or there wouldn't have been all of the stories about the percussion judge being hauled aside after he floated Crown such a huge number after semis.

so if you know of women applying for any of these positions and being turned down, please share names dates and documents. otherwise, going off of what I know, i'm feeling pretty confident that really...women aren't looking to do any of this.

Which proves even further they are generally the smarter of the two sexes

:tounge2:

Edited by Jeff Ream

No, balance and blend are on the performance sub-caption of both the Brass & Percussion DCI sheets

true, but not on a big level picture. thats more in terms of balance and blend with those around them...aka is that pod of baris balanced with each other? Is the snares blending the sound.

from the field, you shouldn't be talking about the brass and percussion being balanced together

• Like 1

well lthen you wouldnt be posting much either then would you............as another said it just get worse . how about then dont answer me Jeff or anyone else who actually might be close to the situation instead of behind a computer ( nothing to do with others I respect that have posted their view on thesubject of 1guitar). You dont like answers so then move on. If you got what youre looking for then fine....as well move on

Thanks for the the interaction: actually lately I have enjoyed a few of your posts. IMO and some others I do believe you will see less and less technical in the distant future.

Jeff: my turn....lol

no keep going, work has me too busy to post much during the day

I don't get this, Mike.

Why is balance not considered when judging a performance caption?

Maybe I don't understand your use of the word "balance".

Apparently I was wrong in the case of DCI. :tounge2:

However, in all of my years of judging corps and band...

A field-level judge is not in a position to be evaluating the proper balance between elements...be it within a section or between sections. Only a judge sitting in the stands can evaluate the dynamic blend/mix of the sound that reaches the stands. Sometimes a section can sound overly loud standing in front of it on the field, but in listening upstairs the balance between voices is just fine.

Just MHO...and how I have been trained over the years. Maybe the DCI sheets are defining the word 'balance' differently.

i'm feeling pretty confident that really...women aren't looking to do any of this.

:tounge2:

Ok. Then a " good old boy network " it shall remain, and thats that, and it is what it is. No issue with this from me. I was just describing what DCI is.. not advocating what changes it needs to have in this respect at all.

Apparently I was wrong in the case of DCI. :tounge2:

However, in all of my years of judging corps and band...

A field-level judge is not in a position to be evaluating the proper balance between elements...be it within a section or between sections. Only a judge sitting in the stands can evaluate the dynamic blend/mix of the sound that reaches the stands. Sometimes a section can sound overly loud standing in front of it on the field, but in listening upstairs the balance between voices is just fine.

Just MHO...and how I have been trained over the years. Maybe the DCI sheets are defining the word 'balance' differently.

I suspect that the judges apply balance & blend in micro-ensemble settings, or perhaps as appropriate to musical phrasing in full ensemble (i.e. if its obviously a lush phrase in a ballad and the snares are monkey drumming, or playing with a harsh, staccato style). Or if the snares are too soft in the middle of a full battery phrase; or if one tenor is playing louder than the others.

• Like 1

Woodwinds?

They tell me that the" cost repairs " on tour alone, will make it impractical. But where there is a will, there is a way, and the costs of instrumentation has never seemed to be much of an impediment to these decisions, so I think its inevitable and the Next Big Thing.. BUT.... not before we see and hear much more rock guitar riffs on the field. Thats the chronological sequence I anticipate on the horizon anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

Ok. Then a " good old boy network " it shall remain, and thats that, and it is what it is. No issue with this from me. I was just describing what DCI is.. not advocating what changes it needs to have in this respect at all.

it's not like DCI set it up this way...well, ok let me rephrase it...it's not like DCI wouldn't welcome them. There's just none wanting to jump into the pool. But...one of the DCI office folks, Sue Keinhold, is probably the most dependable person in the entire organization, wearing a zillion hats and doing every one of them perfectly. In fact, I daresay without, DCI would be a bigger mess.

• Like 1