What did you not catch upon first viewing?

I think I figured out where the seeming "dirt" on side 1 of Crown's prism is coming from. The beginning vertical line (down the 50) swings over to be the side 1 prism edge, and that gap they have to close is the gap that accommodated the horizontal line at the beginning of the move. So I suspect it's not the performers' fault, at least not entirely. Boggles my mind having to try and plan out that whole move so no one collides...

Yeah....the pass thrus don't look like they left a lot of room for error even WITHOUT instruments.

Made this of Crown's 2012 3-D move by request from the Crown thread:

368ri.gif

I dunno....this one just doesn't lift out of the field into the vertical the way the prism did...might be the "angle" of the cube....looks too symmetrical.

Jumping in the way back machine, it wasn't till recently that I noticed in SCV '78--just before the big push in "If You Believe"--the guard all click their heels three times.

That tidbit makes more sense if one knows (as I did not when reading your post) that "If You Believe" is from The Wiz.

Good grief, I don't know how many things I've missed....some that really stand out though

1. All the demon color guard from Cadets 2011 Between Angels and Demons, switched colors to white or the angel guard color by the last push of their show.

2. During Carolina Crowns Rach Star show around 9:30 there is one person about halfway up the ladders they have on the field and the person would fall backward and be caught by the group at the bottom of the ladder, but it was done in sequence where the first would fall and the others on the ladders across the field would fall a beat later and be caught when a cymbal would clash on the beat

3. Crown 2011 towards the end members would run to a certain spot on the field(on the ladders sitting down, laying down, or other casual appearances, there's a guy that runs to his spot which is on about the 38 yard line on the left side of the field and spins on he ground and end up playing his horn laying on his side with his right arm is supporting him, it was right in front of one of the judges, and you can clearly see the judge takes notice because his head snaps to the player an d he stops walking to watch the guy on the ground, then looks away and continues judging. I think the judge was impressed to say the least

I dunno....this one just doesn't lift out of the field into the vertical the way the prism did...might be the "angle" of the cube....looks too symmetrical.

Yeah I think that even though the cube is "straight" on the field there, it looks tapered because of the perspective. Probably looks better from overhead. The pyramid was the right move then, since it's naturally tapered and you can use the natural perspective to your advantage.

Thanks to the Best Drill thread, I missed the phoenix rising in Boston's show.

I was at all three nights of finals, and on semis, I noticed that near the end of Boston Crusaders show, as the tenor drums were near the fifty, each one put up their right hand and in sign language signed B A C. For some reason it was a great moment for me, some other level of communication that I caught. I am not sure how it worked into their theme "Rise" but it was a little moment of surprise for me. I tried to watch it happen again on Finals but missed it and was looking at something else, so now I am not sure I actually saw it. ANyone else catch that?

yes the drum line spelled out BAC. One other thing. The gun shot and movement to the left look back to the right symbolizes JFK being shot.

I think of this...

All these wonderful little surprises we now see...

(And special thanks to Skywhopper for the "Best Drill" thread! Outstanding!)

They're obviously (now, multiple viewings later) programmed into the show. Yet, I'd bet, most of these little surprises are missed by most of the fans whose drum corps season doesn't go beyond finals.

Do the judges know all these little goodies? Do they share among themselves what they see? Do they affect their score?

If so much of this programming is missed by so many, why do the designers program them in?

Edited by garfield

I think of this...

All these wonderful little surprises we now see...

(And special thanks to Skywhopper for the "Best Drill" thread! Outstanding!)

They're obviously (now, multiple viewings later) that they are programmed into the show. Yet, I'd bet, most of these little surprises are missed by most of the fans whose drum corps season doesn't go beyond finals.

Do the judges know all these little goodies? Do they share among themselves what they see? Do they affect their score?

If so much of this programming is missed by so many, why do the designers program them in?

Art and Excellence are its own reward.

Each drillwriter has his/her own inner challenge to meet, max, and surpass as well as giving the kids something memorable and desireable to march that they remain proud of, even years after the judges go safely home.