Are Championships too expensive?

Each year I send between $50 and $100.00 to a DCA Corps. But I will tell you it goes to a Corps that Travels to at least one show out of their area, AND goes to the DCA Championships. (or to an Alumni Corps to go to the Alumni Classic). Usually I get a "Thank You". Which is Great. That satisfies me. But, Sometimes nothing, which is a bit disappointing.

Look at the Following Examples. These (DCA Corps) are the ones that Deserve whatever extra Cash. Helping to spread the DCA Logo.

"Minnesota Brass" went to Pennsylvania.

"Shenandoah Sound" went to Inverness, Florida - AND - Atlanta, Georgia

"High Country Brass" went to Minnesota

"Atlanta CV" went to Hornell, New York

Home as in the North East. Not neccesarly Rochester. FWIW I do not see Rochester getting the next bid.

Annapolis makes a lot of sense because it is geographically closer to the MAJORITY of the corps including the NE corps. But you can sort of tell by all the buzz that Annapolis is off the radar for another bid. It all comes down to money and who gets the money.

Sad as it was a great venue for DCA. Probably looking at another soccar field or baseball diamond to trip over.

DCA makes more money in rochester than annapolis. why i don't know but that's why next year it's going back to rochester.

• Like 1

As much as I do not want to go to Rochester. I must say. I have never had a bad time there. The people want it, and show it. If that is the place that make the most Money for DCA. That is good enough for me. I would like it in New Jersey or Philadelphia. AND I am sure that many of you out there would have a place you prefer better also.

In the OLD DAYS. Nationals were held in places that were Best for them. The VFW or the AL.

If your corps could make it there you went. Weather it was Portland, Oregon or Miami, Florida -- New York City, NY or Los Angles,California -- or somewhere in between. ---> If not you stayed Home.

As much as I do not want to go to Rochester. I must say. I have never had a bad time there. The people want it, and show it. If that is the place that make the most Money for DCA. That is good enough for me. I would like it in New Jersey or Philadelphia. AND I am sure that many of you out there would have a place you prefer better also.

In the OLD DAYS. Nationals were held in places that were Best for them. The VFW or the AL.

If your corps could make it there you went. Weather it was Portland, Oregon or Miami, Florida -- New York City, NY or Los Angles,California -- or somewhere in between. ---> If not you stayed Home.

you are so right. we went to a lot of A.L. NATS . but when we couldn't afford it we didn't go. and i know cabs and the rebels did the same. that's just how it was.

you are so right. we went to a lot of A.L. NATS . but when we couldn't afford it we didn't go. and i know cabs and the rebels did the same. that's just how it was.

True but it was a given there would be a good sized crowd since the Legionnaires were there and looking for something to do. Even in that friggin' Super echo dome down in Nah'lins in 1978. That show is probably still reverbing off the roof....

This was posted to Facebook this evening. I read it 3 times to make sure of what I was reading. Is it me, or are they asking for help and bashing the DCA and the DCA Championship Model at the same time. Did they not know what they were getting in to before they decided to field a DCA corps? I think a better investment might be hiring a PR person. I can't believe that a non profit with their visibility doesn't think through what they release under their name on social media.

Hey all ...

As you know we have Cadets 2 ... on the way to Annapolis.

Our goal, over a few fast years, is to run the corps at a break even. We have help from YAMAHA, and other partners, but for 2012, the corps cost $90K to run, and this year ... we have been doing really well ...

... EXCEPT NOW!!!

DCA, which is an inexpensive alternative to DCI, forces the corps to stay at the hotel for three nights. Thats 150 room nights or $16,874.29

And we ... do not need the rooms. We could have stayed at a school.

But to date ... there is no change and suddenly, the costs of running C2 start to make you wonder. $16K here, 12K for buses, $5K for food and the final weekend is $33K.

And unlike some corps, we can't make the kids pay for this weekend. Heck ... We come home Sunday night. The rooms are empty. YES ... Sunday night we lose $5600.00!!!

So, before you bemoan that DCA does this ... that is for another day. What we are working to do, is to see if we can get 128 people to sponsor 128 kids for their room charge for the three days.

That's $122.00.

I did it .. and the last time I looked 18 other people have done it.

This will wipe out that hotel bill. And this will make it possible for Cadets2 to have a fabulous weekend and for YEA! to look forward to 2014 with a better plan for a better corps and an awesome experience for these kids.

DCA has some potential ...

and the Cadets 2 model may be something we can all expand on.

But we do need a little help. As a not for profit, as a youth program, and as an agency that works for others, we are asking for folks to come on board.

Gang ...

Empire Statesmen will be performing for the last time this year in Annapolis. We plan to be in Rochester. We want to give Reading, and Hawthorne and others a run for their money for years to come.

We have 3 days to interest 100 folks in our future.

We have three days to ease the fiscal pain of this program.

We have three days to make sure that this all makes sense for today and for tomorrow.

Edited by jkmummer

Hop has every right to say that, although I thought they charged them for championship weekend last year. Asking corps to pay $33,000 on one weekend is ridiculous. I get that they need to have hotel rooms booked, but I'm pretty sure more hotel rooms are used for performers than for all the fans attend. Lets try to change that somehow.

As much as people may moan about C2, they have added a lot more people to DCA shows who may never had gone to one before, whether its parents or fans of the DCI corps what want to see what's up. I think if they can show that they aren't losing money for about 3 years, hopefully other corps will follow suit.

• Like 1

This was posted to Facebook this evening. I read it 3 times to make sure of what I was reading. Is it me, or are they asking for help and bashing the DCA and the DCA Championship Model at the same time. Did they not know what they were getting in to before they decided to field a DCA corps? I think a better investment might be hiring a PR person. I can't believe that a non profit with their visibility doesn't think through what they release under their name on social media.

For once, I have absolutely no problem with what George wrote. None. He's 100% correct on all counts.

• Like 3

I assume DCA gets a cost break elsewhere by guaranteeing the rooms? Meaning that if they didn't do this, the corps would get a smaller payout later?

I got appeals for donations that from the (name withheld) presidential campaign three times daily last September-October, and I know that such appeals are made because they work, so I don't object to Cadets2 doing the same --that's what non-profits do-- but I do find that the tone of this particular message seems to imply that they were surprised by the costs, which they must have known about months ago.

I think he means DCA needs to get the word out about Rochester in those areas?

Although it would be great if someday there WOULD be enough of a fan base just that little bit more west to justify giving, say, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cincy, etc a shot! The Glass Bowl at UT's a great stadium, too!

ok but again...advertise to who? Where?