2013 DCA World Championships Finals

Was Heartliner offered a chance to perform in exhibition for finals?

I'd really like to know the answer to this as well. I had really hoped they would get to perform in exhibition as "International Champs" or the like in front of the finals crowd. I know scheduling is super tight but it seems like a missed opportunity for everyone if they weren't offered that chance to perform.

I'd really like to know the answer to this as well. I had really hoped they would get to perform in exhibition as "International Champs" or the like in front of the finals crowd. I know scheduling is super tight but it seems like a missed opportunity for everyone if they weren't offered that chance to perform.

Well technically it's called WORLD championships..........so having an international champs is well.............

I understand, appreciate that they came the furthest and spent the most money to get to Annapolis, but, the fact is, they didn't put anymore blood or sweat in than any other corps, and having them perform may have bumped out another corps and that's not fair either.

Obligatory IMO

... and having them perform may have bumped out another corps and that's not fair either.

It's completely fair. The higher-ups at Heartliner believed in the activity enough to make an trans-Atlantic trip out. DCA could have at least tried to maximize the audience to say, "hey, we also believe in what you do."

Lots of people couldn't make it to the Dock show Thursday or Class A prelims. A finals exhibition performance would have made a lot of those people (myself included) happy.

They need to get rid of the non-finalist Open Class exhibition performance anyway. If you don't make finals, you don't make finals.

• Like 1

Why did Sun do an exhibition?

Eleventh-place Open Class corps always does the exhibition at Finals.

Really? I don't remember Bushwackers performing in last year's Finals. I recall only the Marines performing before the competing Finalist corps began.

• Like 1

Really? I don't remember Bushwackers performing in last year's Finals. I recall only the Marines performing before the competing Finalist corps began.

In 2010 and 2011, the 11th-place Open Class corps did opening exhibitions at Finals... Kilties one year, Bushwackers the next... two years when there were only 11 corps in Open Class.

You're right... last year, there was no 11th-place exhibition.

Years ago, the standard format, for all intents and purposes.... when there was a 10-corps Finals (in the days before Class A was created)... was to have the 11th and 12-place corps from Prelims do exhibitions at Finals.

But since the creation of Class A and a separate Class A Finals, that "standard format" has changed.

Thanks for that explanation. And it was very nice to (briefly) meet you at the end of the show Sunday!

. . . . an this time, Fran's not jok'in!

The reason 12 corps appeared at Finals was due to the urging of the late, great John Laskowski. John and his team were responsible for producing 3 LP albums from championships. He rightfully suggested it was better to record ALL 12 needed corps at the same event. Not 2 corps from daytime Prelims, meaning he would have to record ALL Prelim corps, since he could not know which two corps would place 11 and 12, and all the rest at night before a much bigger audience.

To our young readers, LP albums were large, grooved, black disks that played while turning under a needle. Each held 4 corps nicely.

• Like 2

. . . . an this time, Fran's not jok'in!

The reason 12 corps appeared at Finals was due to the urging of the late, great John Laskowski. John and his team were responsible for producing 3 LP albums from championships. He rightfully suggested it was better to record ALL 12 needed corps at the same event. Not 2 corps from daytime Prelims, meaning he would have to record ALL Prelim corps, since he could not know which two corps would place 11 and 12, and all the rest at night before a much bigger audience.

To our young readers, LP albums were large, grooved, black disks that played while turning under a needle. Each held 4 corps nicely.

Until the 12 corps Finals in 1974 when 15 corps showed up for Prelims..... and 11 and 12 scored down in the 40s (back in the 'tic' days).

1976 11th place (guess who :rolleyes: ) and 12th place played stand stills between Prelims and Finals (same day for both) which sounded like crap because the corps had been busting their hump at Prelims an hour or so before. And playing before empty (except for color guard members) stands didn't help.

LOL - did exhibition in 1985.. almost deja vu all over again... except there were PEOPLE in the stands...

Edited by JimF-LowBari