2014 Programs

The Academy: Vanity Fair

And their music is listed as:

Mvt. 1 "The Grand Entrance"

"Fanfare Rondeau" from Suite de symphonies (Jean-Joseph Mouret)*

"Crown Imperial" (Wiliam Walton)

"What a Wonderful World" (Bob Thiele and George David Weiss)**

Mvt. 2 "Merriment and Mirth"

"Dance of the Hours" from La Gioconda (Amilcare Ponchielli)

Mvt. 3 "Waltz"

"Waltz Suite No. 2" from Suite for Variety Orchestra (Dimitri Shostakovich)***

Mvt. 4 "Excess"

"Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2" (Franz Liszt)

Mvt. 5 "Vanity"

Symphony No. 7, mvt. 2 (Ludwig van Beethoven)

Mvt. 6 "A Wonderful World"

Paris Sketches (Martin Ellerby)

*best known today as the theme to the PBS television program Masterpiece Theatre, but written some 300 years earlier

**best known for the recording by Louis Armstrong

***according to Wikipedia, this Suite was for years erroneously referred to as the Suite for Jazz Orchestra No. 2, until that work was rediscovered in the 1990s (there is no waltz in the Jazz suite, so Academy must be referring to the Variety suite); perhaps best known for its use in the film Eyes Wide Shut

• Like 1

"Words"...I sure hope that does not suggest narration.

On the other hand, maybe SCV can do narration right. Meaning, artfully infused into the meat of the show, and not slathered over everything like ketchup.

They did rap "New Era" in 2001. Kinda Narration. I didn't mind it so much because EVERYONE did it and it was short... Eh...

Edited by jjeffeory

"New Era" was 2001. For some reason I get a chuckle reading Rosalie Sward's description, in "The Evolution of Musical and Visual Design", her long chapter in A History of Drum and Bugle Corps, where she writes of the closer that it "caused quite a sensation as the corps did an urban, 'New Era' chant, which was part of the original composition".

And their music is listed as:

Mvt. 1 "The Grand Entrance"

"Fanfare Rondeau" from Suite de symphonies (Jean-Joseph Mouret)*

"Crown Imperial" (Wiliam Walton)

Mvt. 2 "Merriment and Mirth"

"Dance of the Hours" from La Gioconda (Amilcare Ponchielli)

Mvt. 3 "Waltz"

"Waltz Suite No. 2" from Suite for Variety Orchestra (Dimitri Shostakovich)***

Mvt. 4 "Excess"

"Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2" (Franz Liszt)

Mvt. 5 "Vanity"

Symphony No. 7, mvt. 2 (Ludwig van Beethoven)

Mvt. 6 "A Wonderful World"

Paris Sketches (Martin Ellerby)

*best known today as the theme to the PBS television program Masterpiece Theatre, but written some 300 years earlier

**best known for the recording by Louis Armstrong

***according to Wikipedia, this Suite was for years erroneously referred to as the Suite for Jazz Orchestra No. 2, until that work was rediscovered in the 1990s (there is no waltz in the Jazz suite, so Academy must be referring to the Variety suite); perhaps best known for its use in the film Eyes Wide Shut

OP updated. All songs are available on Spotify and have been added to the playlist.

Spirit announced the introduction to their show, the hymn "Down to the River to Pray":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSif77IVQdY

I've been thinking about Spirit, and this first announcement kind of starts to confirm what I'm thinking. First, sure they had a director change, but it's JW Koester. Remember what he did with Vanguard in 1996 - 2004? Yeah, he knows how to turn a corps around. This show, I think is going to be a big contrast to what they've done in recent years. When I read the title and what they're going for, as well as what the first announcement of music is, I think it's going to be just a broad, luscious, beautiful show that just portrays what the south is to Spirit. I love those kinds of shows. I think these guys are the dark horse of the bottom 6, you never know. I have one of those feelings this is going to be a very pleasant and enjoyable program. Whether it places 9th or 14th, I'm excited to see what they're up to. New look as well, maybe a whole new direction for them.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

(Deleted due to idiocy content)

Edited by HornTeacher

Memorial Day behind us and still awaiting word on the repertoires of Boston Crusaders, Cascades, Jersey Surf, Mandarins, and Spirit of Atlanta. How does this compare to where things stood at this time last year?

I think cascades literally forgot to announce their program considering its after memorial day and nothing has been announced about it.

Memorial Day behind us and still awaiting word on the repertoires of Boston Crusaders, Cascades, Jersey Surf, Mandarins, and Spirit of Atlanta. How does this compare to where things stood at this time last year?

I think cascades literally forgot to announce their program considering its after memorial day and nothing has been announced about it.

I don't know about last year, but didn't BK wait till after Memorial Day to announce Avian in 2012? Or maybe it was on Memorial Day that they announced it. Oh, well...those corps will tell us when they are ready to, I'm sure.

It really wasn't THAT long ago when people had to wait until June to know what corps were playing.

I realize people want to know, but does it make that much of a difference? Are we going to like the show more/less, some might. Does it mean we can't judge the corps for months beforehand, yes.

Are we entitled to know, no. Do some of us feel we are, yes.

I actually like when I don't know, then I can base my opinions on the corps and not whether or not I like the piece.