2014 Programs

SCV 2014 SHOW TITLE:: Scheherazade: Words 2 Live By

Edited by btown50

Is it certain that SCV's show title actually has that phrase (which reminds me of a rap song) as the subtitle? Their recent Facebook post reads:

A quintessential fairy tale can be inspirational and intriguing, when enhanced by a great storyteller. The 2014 Santa Clara Vanguard recounts a story of adventure, riches and love - through Scheherazade's "Words 2 Live By." #SCV2014

It looks there like the phrase "Words 2 Live By" is a tagline but not part of the actual show title. I note that particular post includes their show logo, where those words do not appear.

In 2000, there was quite noticeable frustration, generating groans heard among the Finals crowd when it was announced by the announcer that "there is a tie". ...

This was, after all, only four years removed from Championships in '96 in Orlando where we had a tie for 1st place, as well.

It wasn't just 1996 that the 2000 fans were remembering: it was the very previous year. SCV and BD tied for first in 1999.

The tie-breaking rule was in place for 2001. However, I believe that following the 2012 Finals, in which there was much confusion about a tie (awkwardly announced) between Crown and BD in one of the caption awards, it was revealed that at some point in the past few years, George Hopkins proposed, and DCI's members passed, a rule change eliminating the tie-breaking procedures--although that change had not previously been publicized. I seem to recall a Michael Boo article on DCI's website from late in 2012 that addresses this subject, though I can't find it now.

• Like 1

Is it certain that SCV's show title actually has that phrase (which reminds me of a rap song) as the subtitle? Their recent Facebook post reads:

It looks there like the phrase "Words 2 Live By" is a tagline but not part of the actual show title. I note that particular post includes their show logo, where those words do not appear.

It's subtitled

According to SCV's website, yes, it is a part of the official show title:

scv_zpsa580ed74.jpg

I'm a little confused by it too. I guess We'll have to wait until June 20th to see what it means.

EDIT: Dan Potter also confirmed the title on the latest DCI Field Cast podcast.

Edited by crownisking

According to SCV's website, yes, it ["Words 2 Live By"] is a part of the official show title:

I'm a little confused by it too. I guess We'll have to wait until June 20th to see what it means.

EDIT: Dan Potter also confirmed the title on the latest DCI Field Cast podcast.

OK, thanks. A hip-hop Scheherazade? A tweeted Scheherazade? Most curious.

Pushing is fine. Ripping the envelope so that the contents all spill out is not. Time will tell which corps is doing which!

SCV 2014 SHOW TITLE:: Scheherazade: Words 2 Live By

"Words"...I sure hope that does not suggest narration.

On the other hand, maybe SCV can do narration right. Meaning, artfully infused into the meat of the show, and not slathered over everything like ketchup.