2014 Programs

That's funny, I don't see a post (at least not recently) complaining about those corps who haven't announced yet.

It really wasn't THAT long ago when people had to wait until June to know what corps were playing.

I realize people want to know, but does it make that much of a difference?

Are we entitled to know, no. Do some of us feel we are, yes.

Or for that matter, we knew in February.

You ask " does it make that much of a difference " ? No it doesn't. As recently as 2011, the Cadets played almost their entire musical show at a standstill in May and broadcast it live for fans. Diid it hurt them that season ? Of course not. They won themselves a DC title in 2011.

You ask " are we entitled to know what is going on ? " No, we arn't. Does it matter if we don't follow DCI for 45 weeks oit of the season because they provide us essentially nothing ?. Of course not. We fans are entitled to go into hibernation just as these Corps do. And so thats what most fans do. They disappear in the offseason that matches these Corps disappearance. So thats where we are at today. They don't bother with us, and most of us don't bother with them. DCI has essentially a 7 week level of frenzied activity.. and then essentially nothing. Do you know of any thriving competitive sports activity that esssentially provides their fans with this level of secrecy and lock out of the fans on whats going on in the offseason ? I don't. DCI is unique in this level of silly nonsensical paranoia with their comparatively small fanbase, imo... its no wonder there is so little fan growth of late in DCI. Its like that old wise saying...: " out of sight, out of mind ".

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Or for that matter, we knew in February.

You ask " does it make that much of a difference " ? No it doesn't. As recently as 2011, the Cadets played almost their entire musical show at a standstill in May and broadcast it live for fans. Diid it hurt them that season ? Of course not. They won themselves a DC title in 2011.

You ask " are we entitled to know what is going on ? " No, we arn't. Does it matter if we don't follow DCI for 45 weeks oit of the season because they provide us essentially nothing ?. Of course not. We fans are entitled to go into hibernation just as these Corps do. And so thats what most fans do. They disappear in the offseason that matches these Corps disappearance. So thats where we are at today. They don't bother with us, and most of us don't bother with them. DCI has essentially a 7 week level of frenzied activity.. and then essentially nothing. Do you know of any thriving competitive sports activity that esssentially provides their fans with this level of secrecy and lock out of the fans on whats going on in the offseason ? I don't. DCI is unique in this level of silly nonsensical paranoia with their comparatively small fanbase, imo... its no wonder there is so little fan growth of late in DCI. Its like that old wise saying...: " out of sight, out of mind ".

I Agree, It really makes no difference if we know what the name of the show is. We really wont "know the show" until we see a video or live performance of it.

• Like 1

Just heard the audio file for what Uffe's Woodshop is supposed to sound like and it took a few listens, but it definitely got my head bobbing toward the end. There's a screaming high trumpet solo that will probably sound a lot better with an actual instrument playing it, and it flows well overall and fits the Bluecoats' personality. I had my doubts after listening to the actual source material a while back, but hearing this and imagining the potential Hymn of Acxiom carries reassures me it's going to be another great year for them, if not one of their best.

Phantom Regiment has announced the music for its Swan Lake program.

Swan Lake, by Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

La Peri, by Paul Dukas

Dracula, by Philip Feeney

King Kong, by James Newton Howard

Flightplan, by James Horner.

I do not know whether this is the exact order in which the music will be played but we have music from three ballets and two motion pictures.

My guess is that the King Kong piece will be " Beautiful ".

As for the Flightplan music, most of it is beautiful but, interestingly, the tracks which highlight the feelings and senses of panic/conflict are, according to Mr. Horner, performed without brass instruments, only strings, percussion and woodwinds. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for the battery and the front ensemble.

I would be interested in hearing from those of you who have a music education and those who do not whether these selections fit within the Swan Lake theme.

Edited by 1956OPR
  • Like 2

I would be interested in hearing from those of you who have a music education whether these selections fit within the Swan Lake theme.

I do not have a music education but I am a Regiment fan.

I think people are going to like the way the music is connected. IMO it all works.

In the Regiment tradition, I think it's one of those shows where the music will stay with you long after you've heard it and I'm not just talking about the selections from the Tchaikovsky ballet

So long as the people that die or exhibit little pulse after watching a Corps in performance are not from its audience, Phantom Regiment can do whatever they want in their show this season in my view.

Edited by BRASSO