2014 Programs

I used to use that saying all the time " another week " until after years one realizes EVERYONE gets that extra week....lol.....but yeah troopers last year IMO were even better than the year they made finals. Ive seen over the years non finalists who could have made top 10 another year. Dynamics can change so drastically year to year. Nothing to do but wait and see.

I hate ties for 1st place. DCI should have a tie breaker rule or something if it comes down to a tie on Finals Night, so we get a clear cut Champion that doesn't have to share it with another Corps. But I'd be perfectly fine if we had more ties for 12th place in the Semi's and we got 13 Corps on Finals Night that made Finals and" The Top 12" for that season.

Edited by BRASSO

I thought they did resolve this last year (or the year before)... isn't it decided by who has the higher overall GE score if the total score is the same?

Good question, as I had not heard that it was resolved. If its true,' glad to hear DCI came up with a formula in case of a tie again for 1st.

Good question, as I had not heard that it was resolved. If its true,' glad to hear DCI came up with a formula in case of a tie again for 1st.

If there was a tie for first it would be neat if those two performed their show once more to break the tie.If both corps were that good doesn't the audience deserve to see it all for the last time

They abolished that rule last year or the year before. There used to be a system in place to break ties, especially going to the 3 decimal places. Now two corps can tie again, with no issues.

• Like 2

They abolished that rule last year or the year before. There used to be a system in place to break ties, especially going to the 3 decimal places. Now two corps can tie again, with no issues.

I'm glad they did that. What's wrong with having to give 300 gold medals to kids?

I'm glad they did that. What's wrong with having to give 300 gold medals to kids?

Well, for those on here that consider DCI competition a " youth competitive sport ", in the sports world there is the commonly held long time traditional thinking that at Championships " a tie is like kissing your sister ". ' Just sayin'.

Edited by BRASSO

At the risk of sounding like a complete jerk, as much as we would like to think that the "everyone is a winner" and "why keep score because that's hurtful to kids these days" is a good idea, there is a downside to that line of thinking. If that is the only outlook that kids are exposed to, they potentially won't learn the skills necessary to compete for something in the real world (i.e. jobs, etc.), since after all, everyone wins. That line of thinking also fosters a sense of entitlement (and perhaps that is a reason why that is so common these days).

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

Edited by Quad Aces

At the risk of sounding like a complete jerk, as much as we would like to think that the "everyone is a winner" and "why keep score because that's hurtful to kids these days", there is a downside to that line of thinking. If that is the only outlook that kids are exposed to, they potentially won't learn the skills necessary to compete for something in the real world (i.e. jobs, etc.), since after all, everyone wins. That line of thinking also fosters a sense of entitlement (and perhaps that is a reason why that is so common these days).

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

Oh I don't disagree, but a tie in our activity is simply based on how a set of panelist scores are tabulated to one final aggregate score. So why bother with a tie breaker? Also you never hear complaints about non-first place ties. Or for that matter, if two corps tied for the last slot in semis or finals, people would applaud that.

you never hear complaints about non-first place ties.

While true, there has been considerable complaints about 1st place ties at Finals. In 2000 therre was quite noticeable frustration generated groans heard among the Finals crowd when it was announced by the announcer that " there is a tie ". Those that were there there with me at Finals in Maryland that year certainly heard it, as it was quite obvious to everyone there. This was afterall, only 4 years removed from Championships in '96 in Orlando where we had a tie for 1st place as well. The fact that DCI felt compelled after that to establish a tie breaker formula right after this speaks volumes that there were lots of complaints and lots of disatisfaction during that time period in having no clear Champion eastablished, just 2 Co- Champions that shared the title between them.

Edited by BRASSO