Cavaliers just got a Fuel Injection in the Staff Department.

Freddy's participation also helps explain (at least partially) why Cavaliers are holding an audition camp in Atlanta this year (along with Phantom, BAC, and Bluecoats). Still trying to figure out if it's because of the amount of talent there or that really swell airport with lots of direct flights.

Frankly, there's a LOT of talent in GA ( and Texas, and Indiana, and California...).

So many excellent high school programs too.

We (The Cavaliers) should be announcing our full brass team in the coming week, and to say the least...we're excited about the caliber of these experienced educators and performers who will be leading our brass students.

The Cavaliers have held auditions in Atlanta before, as it's no secret that there are many talented prospective members in the area (and the Southeast). It just so happens that this year, we already had our standard Chicago and Austin camps nailed down prior to David McGrath and his team coming on board. The management then made a decision to add an additional satellite camp in Atlanta to round out our 2014 audition events.

Of course, having a mostly local brass leadership team there in Atlanta helps reduce travel and facility expenses significantly, especially since that audition is a brass-only camp, but we are continuously looking at our recruiting and event mix to give more students an opportunity to become part of the Green Machine.

Should be a busy audition season for us, with our percussion section's appearance at PASIC and BOA Grand National Championships next weekend in Indy; auditions for Green Thunder Percussion, our indoor percussion ensemble; and our three audition events in Atlanta (11/24 brass only), Chicago (12/6-8), and Austin (12/14-15) for membership in The Cavaliers.

Plus, we should be dropping the percussion and guard staff announcements in the short term, as well!

And this is a big part of why no one seems to have local membership any more.

(this is intended as an observation, and not as a complaint)

(this is intended as an observation, and not as a complaint)

I think your getting the cause-effect wrong. Having camps in other states isn't the reason why there isn't local membership, it's that people in other states want to be members. I think it's clear the corps are following the demand. Edited by charlie1223

Without checking, I imagine most corps have auditions in their home state. But corps also know the expenses mm have to come up with from auditions through marching a season.To become more competitive, you need better talent, so holding auditions in various regions of the country seems like a win-win for all parties involved.

Without checking, I imagine most corps have auditions in their home state. But corps also know the expenses mm have to come up with from auditions through marching a season.To become more competitive, you need better talent, so holding auditions in various regions of the country seems like a win-win for all parties involved.

And BITD, if you lived in Chicago and wanted to march Blue Devils, then you found a way to get to California. I clearly remember a line in Jodeen Popp's book concerning what were then called 'Imports' - 'Most corps limit the number of imports so the Corps will not completely fall apart during the off-season'.

Local membership leads to local performances (fall parades, etc) leads to local support which leads to local membership, ...

I marched with Clark in '05. Why aren't more of those guys involved with SOA?

unfortunate circumstances. The truth will come out . . . one day.

Still trying to figure out if it's because of the amount of talent there or that really swell airport with lots of direct flights.

It's part David, Chip and Freddy teach in the Atlanta area still and part students at:

Just about every school in Cobb County

Pretty much every school in Forsyth County

Half of the schools in Gwinnett County

And about 15-20 schools in the Metro Atlanta area with BOA quality bands

There are few other places in the country with the amount of willing students, middle-upper middle class families with disposable income, and amount of quality instructors. Marching band is big time in the Atlanta area . . .

I marched with Clark in '05. Why aren't more of those guys involved with SOA?

Clark HAS been on staff with SOA the past three or so years, as has Patrick Hinton (also an alumni from the mid 2000s). They both kick ###. The recent staff that got the corps back into finals was smart enough to go looking for alumni who were great teachers and in the ATL area. Unfortunately, I think short sighted and less than visionary board actions failed to value those two guys and many others. All my view based on what I know and believe. Not indisputable at this point. Hope SOA has great success with its recent numerous changes.

Clark HAS been on staff with SOA the past three or so years, as has Patrick Hinton (also an alumni from the mid 2000s). They both kick ###. The recent staff that got the corps back into finals was smart enough to go looking for alumni who were great teachers and in the ATL area. Unfortunately, I think short sighted and less than visionary board actions failed to value those two guys and many others. All my view based on what I know and believe. Not indisputable at this point. Hope SOA has great success with its recent numerous changes.

Since these two guys have been around SOA the past finalist years, I would imagine that some SOA members will likely follow them to Cavaliers. With SOA loosing great staff to other corps and most staff leaving, I am eager to see what will happen over the winter time. Auditions are not too far away!

While I am happy for the Cavaliers picking up some strong names, are they really "all that."

I understand what the Martin's have done in the activity, but as of late, why haven't the hornlines they have worked with been closer to the Ott award, just my thought.

It was like when Thom Hannum worked with Madison in 2010 and 2011, people thought he would make their drumline as good as the 80's Cadets and Star drumlines he made so wonderful, but that didn't happen. Granted, the talent may not have been there, but that's besides the point. A good instructor can make weaker players better.

So at this point, I remain skeptical.

unfortunate circumstances. The truth will come out . . . one day.

It's part David, Chip and Freddy teach in the Atlanta area still and part students at:

Just about every school in Cobb County

Pretty much every school in Forsyth County

Half of the schools in Gwinnett County

And about 15-20 schools in the Metro Atlanta area with BOA quality bands

There are few other places in the country with the amount of willing students, middle-upper middle class families with disposable income, and amount of quality instructors. Marching band is big time in the Atlanta area . . .

Shout out for my county of Forsyth! Haha