Phantom Regiment 2014

Well, I would say that the second half of the program flows better than the first. Mostly because it sounds more like, you know, Swan Lake. The first half seems like a bunch of "who cares." It rambles on without much purpose, it seems, and I don't get the musical focus and intent of a typical Phantom Regiment program just yet. And while I do think there is some "fire" in there towards the end, it's not nearly enough IMO. We'l see how things shake out for them this summer. I can remember giving up on this corps many times in the past when I saw them in June only to be stunned at the dramatic turn-around by August when they were firing on all cylinders. First impressions, however, don't seem promising to me right now.

Also, I agree with what someone said about the uniform. The white part looks to be an overlay, and once it comes off, the fringe on the shoulder comes with it and what's underneath looks more like what you saw the DM wearing, which is about as Phantom Regiment as it gets.

Not saying that I know this for a fact, but come on.... The white is an overlay. The black gauntlet is smaller, the white gauntlet is big. It's almost as if they could take off the overlay, take off the white gauntlet to reveal an all black uniform (and gauntlet). I spoke to a member that said that the group wouldn't wear gloves this year, because it wouldn't work with the uniform. I'm guessing that is because the uniform changes during the show.

Yeah, I think something else that supports this is the silver sash goes across their backs. In the several decades of variation on this basic look, Cesario has never had it on the back, only on the front. But having it cross onto the back would be a good way of disguising that the white part hangs loose, as opposed to being sewed to the black. It's all one piece that lifts off.

I get the feeling some people in this forum would still hate this show even if it was designed, arranged, and performed perfectly. Phantom Regiment: the corps everyone loves to hate, year after year. And I agree that the weather and venue did not provide for a great recording environment.

Cool your pits, people. Think of how much time there is between now and finals. PR is practically the king of mid-season changes; if it's not working, they'll have no problem changing it.

I see potential in this show. Is it what I was expecting? Not exactly, but I'm more than willing to let them do their thing and see where it ends up in a couple months.

And some people are born to mediocrity.

You're absolutely right. It's far better to stand on the sidelines and go on long over-emotional hyperbolic rants about how nobody knows what they're doing and should all be fired. That's the true sign of being born to greatness. :worthy:

• Like 5

After listening to it a few times, I they're trying to do what they did with Juliet by weaving in pieces associated with, and not associated with Swan Lake to give a new take on it. I don't think it's turning out as well. BUT, we'll see how it changes and morphs, and how it works out with the visual program, I'm not giving up just yet. You never know, I can think of quite of few early season train wrecks that turned into great shows by seasons end, so I'm waiting until mid July until I make my complete judgement on the show.