Phantom Regiment 2014

I'm not questioning what you are saying. However, can you clarify if you are concerned because the music comes from "films" or because it's from "action films."

I won't speak for Chaos, but my opinion of the film music: you pick a Bernard Herrmann film score if you want a great piece of (thematic) orchestral music, something Regiment is known for picking (e.g., North by Northwest, even Cape Fear). They've played other great music that happened to be made for films.

If you want to build a show with effect in mind, maybe you pick Horner or Howard, as Regiment has done this year. The source material isn't an iconic orchestral score - we're talking about King Kong or Weekend at Bernies or something. I don't have a problem with a corps playing film scores - but I have high expectations for the film scores that Regiment chooses.

Similarly, what miffs me a bit is that they've chosen this Horner/Howard stuff for the ballad. What is Regiment known for? Iconic ballads that have been introduced to drum corps by Regiment (e.g., Novorssiysk Chimes, Claire de Lune (they did it best), Shosty's Piano Concerto, No. 2, Concerto for Orchestra, Paganini Variations). What did they choose this year? Unmemorable, run-of-the-mill movie stuff. (and what did they do last year? a ballad played several times in the last few years).

When Regiment hired Jeremy Earnhart, I was hoping for a little fresh air. But not James Horner and King Kong.

• Like 1

I won't speak for Chaos, but my opinion of the film music: you pick a Bernard Herrmann film score if you want a great piece of (thematic) orchestral music, something Regiment is known for picking (e.g., North by Northwest, even Cape Fear). They've played other great music that happened to be made for films.

If you want to build a show with effect in mind, maybe you pick Horner or Howard, as Regiment has done this year. The source material isn't an iconic orchestral score - we're talking about King Kong or Weekend at Bernies or something. I don't have a problem with a corps playing film scores - but I have high expectations for the film scores that Regiment chooses.

Similarly, what miffs me a bit is that they've chosen this Horner/Howard stuff for the ballad. What is Regiment known for? Iconic ballads that have been introduced to drum corps by Regiment (e.g., Novorssiysk Chimes, Claire de Lune (they did it best), Shosty's Piano Concerto, No. 2, Concerto for Orchestra, Paganini Variations). What did they choose this year? Unmemorable, run-of-the-mill movie stuff. (and what did they do last year? a ballad played several times in the last few years).

When Regiment hired Jeremy Earnhart, I was hoping for a little fresh air. But not James Horner and King Kong.

This message is approved. It's almost like we've spoken about it at length. :p

And if they wanted fresh air, they should've hired Terry Gross. If you get a bunch of people who've done BOA together, guess what's likely to happen (and the only thing they did decently well together was LD Bell '07. I hate BOA if you can't tell)?

PS: Weekend at Bernie's??? Iconic status answer. Lol

Edited by chaos001

Michael Cesario suggested in the latest "FieldPass" over on DCI.org that the uniform that has been posted may not be the only version of it we will see... implying that the white part might be removed to reveal an all black version beneath it...

Edited by ashevillemurphy

And if they wanted fresh air, they should've hired Terry Gross. If you get a bunch of people who've done BOA together, guess what's likely to happen (and the only thing they did decently well together was LD Bell '07. I hate BOA if you can't tell)?

Harsh, man. They really are a legendary BOA team. Sorry if you're not into that. Transcendents is more than a decent show. It is, IMO, one of the best things to come out of the marching arts in any sub genre. They're responsible for many other great shows that were regularly fan favorites at BOA. As someone else said on this thread, I had high hopes for this year with this team. We'll see what happens once we see the visual contribution.

Harsh, man. They really are a legendary BOA team. Sorry if you're not into that. Transcendents is more than a decent show. It is, IMO, one of the best things to come out of the marching arts in any sub genre. They're responsible for many other great shows that were regularly fan favorites at BOA. As someone else said on this thread, I had high hopes for this year with this team. We'll see what happens once we see the visual contribution.

I agree with you on Transcendents. I also liked "The Quest" and "Prayer for Light."

It was Transcendents that changed my viewpoint on what some of the groups in BOA were accomplishing. I had never really focused on anything they were doing prior to that.

Why? DCI IS marching band.

Michael Cesario suggested in the latest "FieldPass" over on DCI.org that the uniform that has been posted may not be the only version of it we will see... implying that the white part might be removed to reveal an all black version beneath it...

On June 9th Phantom posted a picture on FB showing a delivery truck arriving with the caption "Hmmmm.....wonder what's being delivered today???"

That was the day before the Music in the Park concert, so you might think it was the new drums but when you look at the practice photos posted on Facebook before then, they already have their new drums.

It's not uniforms because they have already appeared in public in uniform at the Leaf River Summer Daze parade the week before.

It would be great if it was black helmuts. If the white part comes off the uniform to reveal all black, a black helmut would make it that much better.

• Like 1

On closer inspection of the FB photos from the concert in the park it does appear that there is a definite seam across the top of the right shoulder and it extends to the side of the collar as well... the sparkle sash appears to attach with a snap on the right shoulder too.

It is especially noticeable in the close up photo of the bass drummer (photo #33) ...as it is taken from over his right shoulder...

On June 9th Phantom posted a picture on FB showing a delivery truck arriving with the caption "Hmmmm.....wonder what's being delivered today???"

That was the day before the Music in the Park concert, so you might think it was the new drums but when you look at the practice photos posted on Facebook before then, they already have their new drums.

It's not uniforms because they have already appeared in public in uniform at the Leaf River Summer Daze parade the week before.

It would be great if it was black helmuts. If the white part comes off the uniform to reveal all black, a black helmut would make it that much better.

That shipment was the show tour shirts, which they posted a picture of soon after.

10410288_10152217772448668_4073432700202

Edited by gabe211