Phantom Regiment 2014

Stylistically mostly. There doesn't seem to be a lot of phrase development/complexity. Plus the Regiment sound isn't there. It's a very bass/euph centered sound and what's been written the last several years is more mello balanced.

I don't mind a shift away from the mellophone sound. Mellos have become much more prominent in many corps over the last decade or so, often as counterpoint and embellishment. But listening to endless frilly mello runs from everybody gets a bit wearisome and predictable after a while. If Phantom is developing a different brass sound, I am all for it.

Besides, many years ago (70s, 80s), Phantom was known for its powerful lower brass. They may just be returning to their roots.

And from a technical point of view, note the 16 tubas seated in the front row. May account for some of the bass-forward sound you are hearing. On my high end earphones (Etymotic), I am hearing some interesting middle-horn things happening, but it is being smothered by the tubas in this particular recording

And why suddenly this year when it's been posted every year for ages now?

Mike

Like another poster pointed out, they are using some music from movie scores and may not have rights to it just yet.

I don't mind a shift away from the mellophone sound. Mellos have become much more prominent in many corps over the last decade or so, often as counterpoint and embellishment. But listening to endless frilly mello runs from everybody gets a bit wearisome and predictable after a while. If Phantom is developing a different brass sound, I am all for it.

Besides, many years ago (70s, 80s), Phantom was known for its powerful lower brass. They may just be returning to their roots.

And from a technical point of view, note the 16 tubas seated in the front row. May account for some of the bass-forward sound you are hearing. On my high end earphones (Etymotic), I am hearing some interesting middle-horn things happening, but it is being smothered by the tubas in this particular recording

I think he was saying they're going more towards the mello sound and the lower end (their trademark sound) is missing. Could be wrong though.

• Like 1

I think he was saying they're going more towards the mello sound and the lower end (their trademark sound) is missing. Could be wrong though.

Oh. Well, in the case, just swap the words "low brass" and "mellos" in my comment. Fixed!

Like another poster pointed out, they are using some music from movie scores and may not have rights to it just yet.

It is, was and has been a public performance for years...

never been quashed before...and DCI doesn't have to get rights for public performances of all the music performed: (the corps do, or should, or...) only for recordings they distribute and the video on YT was not produced by DCI (or recorded by them), and the Regiment didn't "directly" distribute the video it was public for anyone who wanted to record (probably even the City who owns the park)...

just interesting that DCI is claiming rights to a recording from a public event that they did not sponsor, record or distribute...

very interesting.

• Like 1

Wow. That's a big number.

Yep. 18 rookies in the 24 person trumpet section alone.