Phantom Regiment 2014

Did anyone see the last two performances of PR and Cavaliers? Cavaliers were 1.2 points behind and then last night jumped to .75 point above. Did they improve that much or was it different judges or changes in PR's show. Or are they not progressing enough to keep up? Any insight?

Edited by eric49

Did anyone see the last two performances of PR and Cavaliers? Cavaliers were 1.2 points behind and then last night jumped to .75 point above. Did they improve that much or was it different judges or changes in PR's show. Or are they not progressing enough to keep up? Any insight?

Having a full panel probably helped. Regiment's show is flat and lacks GE. The scores also show that they're close to (and already in one subcaption) maxing out. The all black in the corps proper really muddies the visual. Not enough contrast. The music is still rather uninspiring and needs some beef. The guard need more equipment work. Just three flags again this year??

Is it me or is there something off with the style of drill this year?

PS: still hate the body movement.

• Like 1

Having a full panel probably helped. Regiment's show is flat and lacks GE. The scores also show that they're close to (and already in one subcaption) maxing out. The all black in the corps proper really muddies the visual. Not enough contrast. The music is still rather uninspiring and needs some beef. The guard need more equipment work. Just three flags again this year??

You're right - It doesn't seem to have the typical Phantom flair, but I have no doubt they're aware of all of this. We usually aren't going to beat these corps to a conclusion - they're smart, they'll figure it out! They don't want a bad score or a bad placement any more than we want them to, so they'll amp up the show, I'm sure.

Interesting comment about the drill, Chaos. I've thought since first seeing it that it didn't look at all like Thompson's work. The show does seem to be sorely lacking in GE. I guess i was expecting to see a better product from a group of guys that supposedly have worked together before.

And the silly body movements should go away. They do nothing for show enhancement.

I hope somebody will step in and give the show a kick in the ###, I'd hate to see them stagnate and continue to fall behind.

Interesting comment about the drill, Chaos. I've thought since first seeing it that it didn't look at all like Thompson's work. The show does seem to be sorely lacking in GE. I guess i was expecting to see a better product from a group of guys that supposedly have worked together before.

And the silly body movements should go away. They do nothing for show enhancement.

I hope somebody will step in and give the show a kick in the ###, I'd hate to see them stagnate and continue to fall behind.

100 rookies!

Far ahead of what was predicted.

Bad? Even I won't go that far.

Lackluster? Yes. Not as high quality as I would've expected, especially from a group of designers who've worked together for years.

This is also the corps that brought you last year's cackling witch puppet with dragon wings.

For what it's worth, I think this year's overall design is light years ahead of 2013.

• Like 1

This is also the corps that brought you last year's cackling witch puppet with dragon wings.

For what it's worth, I think this year's overall design is light years ahead of 2013.

I thought it was a DM in bad drag. :P

Light years? Leave the quantum physics to Crown.

• Like 3

maybe so, but oh so boring.

but i'll bet one thing, somebody is trying to figure out what the @@@@ to do to fix it. one can only hope so.

wouldn't it be nice, for a change, to talk about fine tuning rather than trying to salvage a PR show. there's no question that PR is good at the fix, but if otherwise they might rise to the top again.

Edited by eric49
  • Like 1