Phantom Regiment 2014

I mean, I'm just judging based on the live webcast on the fan network. I wasn't there in person. There is plenty of room for improvement, yes, but that's true with all the corps. I personally enjoyed their show, and it made a whole lot more sense with the drill. It was just a much more engaging show with guard and drill (obviously) than their standstill performance in the rain. Plus the uniforms don't look half bad!

Their first score this year was a few points lower than last year's first score, so that doesn't bode well. But then again, scores are all relative (no matter how hard they try to make them objective).

• Like 1

The show i think is better than last year. But it's missing that different/memorable element that will make stand out amongst all the other corps.

I agree. It seems sterile almost.

PS: whoever is in charge of body movement for the corps needs to be told no from now on. The moves are so awkward.

I couldn't be prouder of my brothers and sisters.

SUTA!

• Like 2

I couldn't be prouder of my brothers and sisters.

SUTA!

I'm with you! I watched the show last night a couple of times, and I liked it more and more each time. Knowing how Regiment shows have been developing over the course of the season lately, I know there is a ton of plot development/clarification that we'll be seeing over the course of the next few weeks. While some of the writing is not my favorite, it is definitely being taught well, and is on its way to being performed memorably. There is a lot going on in this show, so it's perfectly logical that there would be some very apparent bumps to iron out this early in the season. I think there is huge room for growth, and that it is growth that can be achieved. Folks who are talking about Cavies passing Regiment soon seem to think that Cavies are the only ones who will be making changes and improvements. Regiment knows how to tweak a show, and my guess is that they will be spending a lot of time on June 22 and 23 ironing things out. I, for one, am definitely looking forward to seeing how things develop over the rest of the season!

SUTA!

• Like 3

I agree. It seems sterile almost.

PS: whoever is in charge of body movement for the corps needs to be told no from now on. The moves are so awkward.

Watching the show on the move, I actually didn't hate the music. Unfortunately, that was my thought: I don't hate it. Here's to hoping they can get a bit more engaging drill and more "wow" moments soon.

• Like 2

As I said in the Indianapolis thread, I liked the nods to recent shows by Buccaneers and Cadets, thought this show improved as it went on, and appreciated that (at the moment, anyway), there is less explicit storytelling than last year. At this point in 2013, Phantom's show felt more complete and thus less improvable.

(By way of noting my tastes, I should perhaps note that I preferred Phantom's sixth-place show in 2010 to their fifth-place show in 2013.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I just went through this whole thread. The first half is people complaining that they don't like that Phantom is going to be the same as every year and living in the past and the second half is complaining that all these new fangled uniform styles and uniqueness make people feel uncomfortable and can't they just wear what they wore in the (insert poster preference year) show.

Bipolar thread for sure.

• Like 6

As I said in the Indianapolis thread, I liked the nods to recent shows by Buccaneers and Cadets, thought this show improved as it went on, and appreciated that (at the moment, anyway), there is less explicit storytelling than last year. At this point in 2013, Phantom's show felt more complete and thus less improvable.

(By way of noting my tastes, I should perhaps note that I preferred Phantom's sixth-place show in 2010 to their fifth-place show in 2013.)

Into the Light (PR 2010) is one of my favorite Phantom shows ever. I saw someone say that show was "vanilla" in another thread and I respectfully disagree. Miles better than 2009 or their 2013 show. I even liked it more than Juliet honestly.

• Like 5

Into the Light (PR 2010) is one of my favorite Phantom shows ever. I saw someone say that show was "vanilla" in another thread and I respectfully disagree. Miles better than 2009 or their 2013 show. I even liked it more than Juliet honestly.

Agree 100%. Never has a drill been better integrated into the music as Rosander!s. His drills are usually very difficult also, which is probably the real real reason hex wasn't asked back. He is one of the great talents of drum corps!!!
  • Like 2