Phantom Regiment 2014

I thought their brass played very well, especially considering the rumors I hear of a young line. Percussion was just fine and will improve big time. In many ways their drill was more readable than Cavaliers. I do think Cavies have the better closer both musically and visually, but this is where Phantom will concentrate if you ask me. The only real advantage Cavaliers have on Phantom is percussion (mainly pit). If PR can find a few hit points in the opener, and if they can re-write some of the closer to make sense, this show will grow and be wonderful.

As I said in the Indianapolis thread, I liked the nods to recent shows by Buccaneers and Cadets, thought this show improved as it went on, and appreciated that (at the moment, anyway), there is less explicit storytelling than last year. At this point in 2013, Phantom's show felt more complete and thus less improvable.

(By way of noting my tastes, I should perhaps note that I preferred Phantom's sixth-place show in 2010 to their fifth-place show in 2013.)

ME TOO!!! Into the light is my jam. So beautiful.

• Like 1

Not a fan this year.

Not a fan this year.

You think???? I couldn't tell by your previous comments

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1

I thought their brass played very well, especially considering the rumors I hear of a young line. Percussion was just fine and will improve big time. In many ways their drill was more readable than Cavaliers. I do think Cavies have the better closer both musically and visually, but this is where Phantom will concentrate if you ask me. The only real advantage Cavaliers have on Phantom is percussion (mainly pit). If PR can find a few hit points in the opener, and if they can re-write some of the closer to make sense, this show will grow and be wonderful.

re: pit

It's funny how both pits have MCM members and instructors (even the arranger for MCM). I wonder if there will be a bit of a family rivalry there.

Edited by chaos001

Not a fan this year.

Phantom tends to thrive when the emotion is there. 2008 was hardly an earth shattering design but they exploded with emotion that was contagious. 2012 was a fairly basic visual show but they medaled because the emotions took a 5th place show and banged it up to 3rd.

I think with Phantom, we let them work out the kinks and as confidence grows, we see the show blossom.

I just listened to last night's webcast again. Would love to know how the show design came about. JT's drill has some shining moments, but it looks like somebody messed with it.

The other thing that struck me was how badly written the front ensemble music is. There's no rhyme or reason for the music. Just sounds like a lot of banging around going on.

IMHO, this show might could be salvaged with some major rewrites, both musically and visually. Especially the closing, it seems to get lost in itself.

Edited by eric49
  • Like 1

Man, come on. Don't take criticisms so personally. Don't be (a particular) Crown fan - just let people have opinions.

Just an observation....

Phantom tends to thrive when the emotion is there. 2008 was hardly an earth shattering design but they exploded with emotion that was contagious. 2012 was a fairly basic visual show but they medaled because the emotions took a 5th place show and banged it up to 3rd.

I think with Phantom, we let them work out the kinks and as confidence grows, we see the show blossom.

Speaking of confidence....

Someone in another thread posted a video of them practicing in Akron. I think Wednesday was rookie jitters. Now that it's behind them the hornline has developed a lot more confidence.