DCI BOD Drama....more to come?

I found the following missive today on the Cadets Facebook page via George.

What does this say about drum corps ??
This is the age of drum corps ... as of Aug 2013

Is it not clear that there needs to be a dramatic change?
Not in what we do ... but how we exist in society.

There are too many barriers to creating a new corps.
And I do not believe that will change.

Bands are better ..
Music programs are either better or non existent ...
So many different opportunities ...
and yet ..
We are still marching, based in our military roots, and debating the future of the activity.

I think we see the future. It's the past ... just different, and less.

There are answers but a future will take courage

Happy Sunday. Get home Cadets!! And snow .. Go away !!!

Carolina Crown - 23 years
Blue Devils - 43 years
Cadets - 79 - years
Santa Clara Vanguard - 46
Bluecoats - 41
Phantom Regiment - 46
Cavaliers - 65
Boston Crusaders - 73
Madison Scouts - 75
Blue Knights - 55
Spirit of Atlanta - 37
Blue Stars - 49
Troopers - 56
Crossmen - 38
Colts - 50
Pacific Crest - 20
Oregon Crusaders - 14
Mandarins - 50
Academy - 12
Blue Devils B - 38
Vanguard Cadets - 42
Jersey Surf - 23
Genesis - 4
Spartans - 58
Music City - 4
Gold - 8
Cascades - 55
Pioneer - 41
Legends - 7
7th Regiment - 9
Raiders - 23
Colt Cadets - 46
Les Stentors - 56
Racine Scouts - 86
Blue Saints - 61
Blue Devils C - 38
City Sound - 16
Coastal Surge - 1
Columbians - 1
Guardians - <1

sounds to me like not all is well in the boardroom again.....not sure if it's just George, or if there's more. Inquiring minds want to know...and I'm out digging.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

If you read some of George's comments it hints that the board did not accept some of his visions for the future and expansion of drum corps.

I say the "lines" of drum corps and marching bands are so "blurred" that even Robin Thicke is confused. Let the darn woodwinds in already and get it over with.

I found the following missive today on the Cadets Facebook page via George.

What does this say about drum corps ??

This is the age of drum corps ... as of Aug 2013

Thoughts?

Is it just me, or does George seem to be getting crankier and more cynical as he reaches his 60's ?

• Like 1

So what proposals did Mr. Hopkins put forward to make it cheaper to run a drum corps?

• Like 1

"Blue Devils - 43 years"

Come on, George...56 years...get it right.

Ahhhh Hop....the gift that keeps giving.

He did get it right. While the Blue Devils organization is 56 years old, (I was at their 50th anniversary celebration in 2007), it wasn't until 1970 that Jerry Seawright established the BD Drum and Bugle Corps out of their championship Drum and Bell Corps. George is talking about the drum and bugle corps...not the organization.

George can't get credit even when he says or writes nothing wrong.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 9

So what proposals did Mr. Hopkins put forward to make it cheaper to run a drum corps?

I don't believe that this is part of his vision, although I've not spoken with him directly about it. How much are marching fees in Cadets2?

It seems to me that his solution is primarily to expose to the activity more kids from scholastic music whose parents would be willing to pay the high costs of marching in order to fund the high cost of fielding a show. That requires more direct integration with, and programming similar to, high school marching programs. And any-instrumentation to allow Julie the flute player to be a part. It also requires no limit on the number of marching members.

Seems all of these things he's said himself so, if there's push-back on the BOD, it most certainly is because the other members don't agree.

Would be interesting to hear the opinions of the other BOD members, but they seem willing to simply let Hop spew publicly without comment.

There is light at the end of the tunnel ONLY if they all are free to talk and trust. If Hop has, in fact, resigned from the BOD it seems it would be difficult to reach agreement that the whole activity can live and grow with.

I believe I heard that he had resigned from the DCI board sometime in the last month.

That is correct but it's more than woodwinds

I don't believe that this is part of his vision, although I've not spoken with him directly about it. How much are marching fees in Cadets2?

It seems to me that his solution is primarily to expose to the activity more kids from scholastic music whose parents would be willing to pay the high costs of marching in order to fund the high cost of fielding a show. That requires more direct integration with, and programming similar to, high school marching programs. And any-instrumentation to allow Julie the flute player to be a part. It also requires no limit on the number of marching members.

Seems all of these things he's said himself so, if there's push-back on the BOD, it most certainly is because the other members don't agree.

Would be interesting to hear the opinions of the other BOD members, but they seem willing to simply let Hop spew publicly without comment.

There is light at the end of the tunnel ONLY if they all are free to talk and trust. If Hop has, in fact, resigned from the BOD it seems it would be difficult to reach agreement that the whole activity can live and grow with.

Well going to Facebook and playing the victim card can't help. That his new game " oh woe is us/me". He tried it DCA weekend on an issue and it made him no friends there