DCI BOD Drama....more to come?

Out of sheer curiosity, could someone PM some info on how to find George's Resignation Letter? I am greatly curious about it, and I can't seem to find it

The entire letter of resignation and explanation is not posted anymore as it crashed 3 websites due to its length.

• Like 1

Why's everybody upset? I like it when GH hits the egg nog a little too hard then takes to Facebook to post his musings. I don't know, however, why he continues to complain. He's a self-proclaimed man of action. Why isn't he leaving DCI and moving on to his vision of greatness? DCI is the problem in his opinion. So..... what are you waiting for Hop?

to find the money to replace what he makes from DCI

And two of the primary corps directors who derailed the regional only first tour model and pushed for this multi-million dollar per year DCI national touring traveling circus model all summer are……… wait for it……. Hopkins and Gibbs. If you want to place the blame on how outrageously expensive it is within the ranks of DCI today you can start with them!!!!

And if you throw a tour, and no one shows... ?

It would be an awfully small tour.

But... let's go back and check the math.

There used to be two national tours for DCI. The first tour generally ran through the South (Texas, etc.) from about June 20th - July 3rd (ish). Not every corps participated -- some in DCM or DCE stayed home. Corps would routinely go outside their regions as "guests" in the DCE Region. DCM corps were more plentiful after 1983, and tended to go out of region more often than others. Now and then you'd get a DCE corps (Spirit, Crossmen, Garfield) who would leave the region to go on a California tour.

Regardless, George and Dave didn't come up with a summer-long national touring model.

The difference now is that the Regions went away. No more DCW, DCE, DCM, DCS, etc. So, to get shows, you have to go on the road, or do limited touring like Academy, Pacific Crest, Mandarins, Oregon Crusaders, or even the Blue Knights used to do on their way up.

So...

If corps aren't surviving on show fees... why do corps tour so much? It obviously isn't to win... because every year only one corps wins, and it's only 2 or 3 that have a legitimate shot every single year. Even the Tour of Champions (really?) has non-DCI Champions involved. (One fewer now that Crown "won".)

The whole point comes back to this...

The current model doesn't work.

It still costs too much to participate.

We can either talk about how it got here and get mad at George, Dave and whoever else is the "bad guy" flavor of the month... or we could look at realistic alternatives to the model.

And you know what? The activity will either continue or not by making changes. But it's almost certain that the activity will die WITHOUT change.

So....

Wanna talk about woodwinds?

No... of course we don't... but that's a post that belongs in a different category... complete with legitimate bullet points observing both the positives and negatives of that particular route. (There are both... )

best,

Chuck

Edited by arrangerX
  • Like 2

There used to be two national tours for DCI. The first tour generally ran through the South (Texas, etc.) from about June 20th - July 3rd (ish). Not every corps participated -- some in DCM or DCE stayed home. Corps would routinely go outside their regions as "guests" in the DCE Region. DCM corps were more plentiful after 1983, and tended to go out of region more often than others. Now and then you'd get a DCE corps (Spirit, Crossmen, Garfield) who would leave the region to go on a California tour.

Regardless, George and Dave didn't come up with a summer-long national touring model.

The difference now is that the Regions went away. No more DCW, DCE, DCM, DCS, etc. So, to get shows, you have to go on the road, or do limited touring like Academy, Pacific Crest, Mandarins, Oregon Crusaders, or even the Blue Knights used to do on their way up.

You have implied a couple of times now that the national touring model is the big ticket ($) issue. So I think this is fair to highlight this point. And WARNING: I am going to question "how it got here" because that is important as to what the "realistic alternatives" actually are.

Simply saying that "the regions went away" sounds fairly innocuous. As if we all just woke up one morning 10 years ago, and ... poof ... there were no more regions. The regions ceased to exist for a reason (or reasons). Hopefully without getting into a big RAMD-style political debate it might be worth asking: A.) Did DCI just pick up the slack as regions failed? Or B.) did DCI (and it's members) prefer the control, homogeneity and centralized resources that the current national tour provides and ramp-up the current model?

• Like 1

There are 2 things I have been searching for, and can't recall where I read them, if someone could help that would be great.

1. Hopkins has said recently that corps/staff's are not intended to be used for educational purposes. Anyone know where I would have read that?

2. Hopkins is now saying that there are too few corps, and not serving enough members. Wasn't he one of the people who wnated to move away from the 128 to 135, then finally to 150? Which is definately one of the reasons there are fewer corps. I find it incredibly interesting that many of the Div. 2/3 or open class as they are called now started vanishing when corps got larger, which then led to the "circuits" going away.

Seems to me that many of Mr. Hopkins' current complaints and views are completely contradictory to his views as recently as 10 years ago.

It also seems that he is using his position as ED of YEA as a pulpit to push his personal agenda, rather than the views of his staff, alumni, members, etc.

Just some questions/thoughts.

• Like 1

You have implied a couple of times now that the national touring model is the big ticket ($) issue. So I think this is fair to highlight this point. And WARNING: I am going to question "how it got here" because that is important as to what the "realistic alternatives" actually are.

Simply saying that "the regions went away" sounds fairly innocuous. As if we all just woke up one morning 10 years ago, and ... poof ... there were no more regions. The regions ceased to exist for a reason (or reasons). Hopefully without getting into a big RAMD-style political debate it might be worth asking: A.) Did DCI just pick up the slack as regions failed? Or B.) did DCI (and it's members) prefer the control, homogeneity and centralized resources that the current national tour provides and ramp-up the current model?

Good points.

And if you throw a tour, and no one shows... ?

It would be an awfully small tour.

But... let's go back and check the math.

So...

If corps aren't surviving on show fees... why do corps tour so much? It obviously isn't to win... because every year only one corps wins, and it's only 2 or 3 that have a legitimate shot every single year. Even the Tour of Champions (really?) has non-DCI Champions involved. (One fewer now that Crown "won".)

The whole point comes back to this...

The current model doesn't work.

It still costs too much to participate.

We can either talk about how it got here and get mad at George, Dave and whoever else is the "bad guy" flavor of the month... or we could look at realistic alternatives to the model.

And you know what? The activity will either continue or not by making changes. But it's almost certain that the activity will die WITHOUT change.

So....

Wanna talk about woodwinds?

No... of course we don't... but that's a post that belongs in a different category... complete with legitimate bullet points observing both the positives and negatives of that particular route. (There are both... )

best,

Chuck

one point...the regions were driven away. First out west, then DCE, then DCM. This was designed by the directors to happen

• Like 1

B

... We can either talk about how it got here and get mad at George, Dave and whoever else is the "bad guy" flavor of the month... or we could look at realistic alternatives to the model....

However, it seems that you are advocating finding these alternatives by utilizing and trusting the exact same leadership which actually created this current overbearing multi-million dollar per year fiasco, as well as the same leadership which through their G7 proposal wanted DCI to throw many, many corps out in the cold ditch in an elite power grab. Give us your reasons we should trust Hopkins and Gibbs in that they have the best interest of creating a sanctioning organizational atmosphere which lowers touring costs, lowers operational costs, and develops a friendly environment for corps other than the elite to exist in the black with cost effective touring model support from DCI. Please show us where we can trust Hopkins and Gibbs leadership on those accounts because their past behavior and decisions have been to the contrary.

• Like 1

So you saying that the issue is extremely complicated without a black/white, right/wrong easy answer?! Crazy....