DCI Chief Judge Gary Markham's wife in the hot seat

The parents wanted to be involved in the hiring process? Wow. Thanks but no thanks.

That is pretty much all we need to know. Sheesh.

It is possible that the school admin might have done her a favor by managing parents expectations well before the new hire took place. Otherwise, not much else you can do about an army of entitled boosters after the flames have been fanned..

Edited by mingusmonk

It is common for a group of parents to meet with candidates for principal jobs, and so on, and maybe next time around (which may be many years in the future), if the Lassiter band program is still as big as it is now, they'll do that when selecting the band director, but parents can only act in an advisory capacity to the administration. They can't appoint people to the faculty (or remove them, much as they might like to be able to do that) or get inside details of personnel decisions.

It is common for a group of parents to meet with candidates for principal jobs, and so on, and maybe next time around (which may be many years in the future), if the Lassiter band program is still as big as it is now, they'll do that when selecting the band director, but parents can only act in an advisory capacity to the administration. They can't appoint people to the faculty (or remove them, much as they might like to be able to do that) or get inside details of personnel decisions.

so then should I as a parent have a say who in who gets hied to teach kindergarten? Where does the line end? While I know parents want the best for the kids...are they always qualified to know what's best? popular doesnt equate being good. I've worked with some directors the kids loved....but the band sucked.

Replacing a legend is hard. I don't envy her that. But remember when reading this story, we're only seeing one side of the story. Sure the school could be more forthcoming, but it's very possible the parents are leaving out details that go against their cause. I've seen that happen before too.

Guys, not trying to puff myself up here or anything but I DO know all of the parties involved. The old director at Lassiter was a mentor to me when I was a young director. Great man, great teacher, great results. The new director was my feeder for a couple of years back when she was a middle school director. She is very talented with a great future in front of her. I know nothing about the process of how the hiring process took place, nor does it effect my thoughts.

The bottom line is that anybody, and I mean ANYBODY that came in after Alfred Watkins would be seen as a step down, weather they were or not. That's what happens when replacing a local and national legend. If she can weather the storm I personally have no doubts that she will do a great job. This kind of media crap is for the birds and is not worth the paper it is printed on, in my very humble opinion.

Dan

• Like 1

Have these genius parents ever considered that Mr. Watkins might have given HIS BLESSING to the hire??

so then should I as a parent have a say who in who gets hied to teach kindergarten? Where does the line end? While I know parents want the best for the kids...are they always qualified to know what's best? popular doesnt equate being good. I've worked with some directors the kids loved....but the band sucked.

Replacing a legend is hard. I don't envy her that. But remember when reading this story, we're only seeing one side of the story. Sure the school could be more forthcoming, but it's very possible the parents are leaving out details that go against their cause. I've seen that happen before too.

Don't forget Jeff, taxpayers (not just parents) have a "right" to say how students are taught, etc, etc, etc..... OY!

And of course we both know the main requirement for getting on the school board (get more votes than the other people).

FYI - I live in Jeffs old school district and every election a group runs on the platform of "Cut the Waste". They can never say where the waste is, just "Look at the budget, there has to be waste somewhere with all that money".

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

If this article was meant to portray the parents' and students' point of view, all it accomplished was to make themselves look like petty, vindictive little whiners. We don't need to see the school administrator or band director's response. The parents and students took care of that by shooting themselves in the foot.

• Like 3

If this article was meant to portray the parents' and students' point of view, all it accomplished was to make themselves look like petty, vindictive little whiners. We don't need to see the school administrator or band director's response. The parents and students took care of that by shooting themselves in the foot.

Disagree, know of admin that cares more about keeping problems or dissention quiet than actually solving problems. Have a big stink in my area where head of the SD has in her contract that board members are not allowed to disagree with her (they're still trying to figure out how that got in). Also depends who is doing the whining and how loudly. They may look like jerks to us but they might be the ones with the pull to either get the director canned or make thinngs bad enough she doesn't want to stick around.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

She is very talented with a great future in front of her. I know nothing about the process of how the hiring process took place, nor does it effect my thoughts.

The last statement unfortunately people do get hung up on. Hindsight is always 20/20 but really if I was Ginny I would have stayed away from Cobb County altogether eventhough some of the finest band programs in the state are there. You simply cannot be hired by your spouse (especially in the public sector) and not expect to come under scrutiny warranted or not. There are several other excellent programs in the metro Atlanta area and really the surrounding counties all have the potential to produce great programs besides which ones are already there. The hiring by her husband should be somewhat moot as she's been working as a band director in the county for some time now except that Gary made his decision to hire Ginny as band director at Lassiter on his way out the door.

It's really an unfortunate situation all the way around in which every party could have taken steps to prevent this before it got spilled in a newspaper