The Cadets - 2014

One thing interesting that I noticed.. Last year's closer ended not with the fast paced drill and in your face music we are accustomed to. I recall George in an earlier webcast or interview saying The Cadets would return to that Cadet-style closer this year. I didn't see where that fit in tonight. It seemed like the closer ended with that slow moving company front and then dissolved from there. I hope there is more to come! I much prefer the typical in your face ending they do so well.

I'm not sure about fast paced but I do see a company front happening with the current closer. But remember, it's a big trend for corps to completely change their closer mid to late season so the closer you heard today may not be the closer you hear come finals.

To me this show is much more like a theater performance, with the stage set up front to feature individuals and small groups. The corps proper is simply background. There's some potential in this type of presentation, but again, it relegated the corps to more of a background accompaniment.

A bit like the BDs and Crown to a lesser extent. Looks like they're following the trend. It will be interesting to see how many other corps are following suit.

IMO your post is spot on and I have been thinking the exact same thing over the last few years.

You can really see it in the show design, and over gratuitous hornline dancing

No. It's too distracting and adds virtually nothing to the performance. If it were back field I wouldn't mind so much.

I agree with this sentiment. Did anyone else notice the guard members dancing on it sometime mid show? I found that super distracting since it blocked the rest of the corps right behind them. If the drill was strategically farther backfield, I wouldn't have minded but quite a few people were directly behind the stage and the dancers made it hard to see everything else. I'd get the stage if it was used to feature screaming soloists but from that performance, I found myself distracted and fearing for the safety of those dancers 6 feet off the ground rather than appreciating them.

I'm thinking, because of the stages length, they have plans to use it more than have a few mm up their at a time. Seems like a waste with only one person on it. Expect more traffic on it. Looks like the DM will spend a lot of time off the 50.

First off thank you to the Cadets and Hopkins for allowing us that free preview. I don't think anyone does preseason media as well as Cadets. And to have it on youtube live, with the option to watch it again as soon as it was over allowed me to watch it 4 times.

First off the music was very nice. Some good arrangements. Performed at an amazing level considering they don't have a competition for 10 days. But to me the show has kind of a been there done that feel to it. I am looking forward to many changes in this show. The drill for the first 2/3 of the show looked very clean, but with the huge stage set up in front, I feel it loses something in the visual department working around it. Again, I am sure there will be tons of changes.

And did anyone else notice with all the soundbites in the closer, how much it sounded like the closer of their 12.25 show. It was like Charlie Brown and It's A Wonderful life clips all over again. I personally didn't think it worked 2 years ago and I still don't think that it is very effective. And in my opinion, there is just WAY TOO MUCH narration. The brass and percussion in this corps are absolutely amazing, why would you even want to distract from that.

I think this is a step backwards from last year, when they had my 2nd favorite show of the year. But overall some very nice music, and performed extremely well for only 4 weeks rehearsal time.

• Like 2

Wow. That was impressive as hell for this early in the season. Can't wait to see this show evolve. Drumline is scary good...and that hornline :babies:

Like others, I agree the stage is a little distracting, but I'm sure it will help flesh out the story as the season progresses. Maybe this show will end the recent even-year curse of non-medalling.

Edited by ShouldveMarchedAgeOut

First, thank you YEA and the Cadets for the best off-season coverage of all the corps. You're a winner in this category hands down. #coneofsilencesucks

Secondly, the narration works and the narrators are wonderful particularly the young man. He is capturing the essence of Lincoln Portrait well. Don't listen to the negative nellies. However, I would humbly suggest that the multiple snippets of speeches at the end be cut and redone to focus on the three presidents you've chosen to highlight to complete your idea properly. Also, make sure the historical facts you narrate are correct. #Googleismyfriend

I would offer that the stage should be shortened another foot. It will still retain the effect you're looking for. I am not worried about its use in the show. It's obvious some surprises for later have been held back. Should be fun!

The percussion is killin' it! You've thrown down the gauntlet. Who has the cajones to challenge you?

The brass...wow! Somebody is going for the Ott this year. Watch out Crown! You're not going to be the only brass section with individual demand this year.

The guard is miles better than last year! I can't wait to see their costumes.

Okay, Cadets staff! Keep your message SHARP and PRECISE! It looks like the corps is strong, so this baby is in your hands. Don't muck it up with trying to say too much. Make your point and let the corps rip the roof off the joint!

FHNSAB!

Edited by wallace
  • Like 5

Everything I've heard from BD, Crown, Cadets, and SCV tells me we're in for a slugfest this season. Hear that judges? Let them duke it out!

• Like 2

Anyone who gets seats in the first few rows at any show is not going to able to see a thing with that stage. I know that section isn't most peoples' top choice, but think of all the small stadiums used that have general admission based on blocks of seating. You pay top dollar, get stuck in traffic so you arrive a tad late only to find available seats in the bottom few rows. No biggie until the Cadets step off and all you can see is a plume puppet show.