The Cadets - 2014

around the time the internet devolved from intelligent discourse to vapid nonsense?

There have been plenty of posts that give great discussion points about what's good and what doesn't work for them: AWESOME! That creates discussion, healthy debate, and even awesome ideas (like "keep the speech quotes to JUST the Presidents highlighted in the show").

sorry, man. i didn't realize that opinions needed supporting context. i'm not trying to prove a thesis here.

BUT

i joined the corps because it wasn't afraid to try new things... to push the walls out... to play a zillion notes at 208 bpm because "F YOU that's why."

i watch this vanilla retread of a disney world attraction and it makes me sad.

when i marched, we had a t-shirt that said:

“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” -Hunter S. Thompson

what happened to THAT corps?

• Like 5

sorry, man. i didn't realize that opinions needed supporting context. i'm not trying to prove a thesis here.

BUT

i joined the corps because it wasn't afraid to try new things... to push the walls out... to play a zillion notes at 208 bpm because "F YOU that's why."

“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” -Hunter S. Thompson

Very valid thoughts, imho. I miss that corps too.

We try to move forward, as we're not the one's making the decisions for the activity or for your beloved corps.

BUT

Judging. That's what happened. " Faster, Faster" and a "Zillion notes" is no longer judged like it once was. I too miss the " We can Do it better while marching backwards" Cadets!

Edited by boxingfred

around the time the internet devolved from intelligent discourse to vapid nonsense?

There have been plenty of posts that give great discussion points about what's good and what doesn't work for them: AWESOME! That creates discussion, healthy debate, and even awesome ideas (like "keep the speech quotes to JUST the Presidents highlighted in the show").

This comment I quoted above is a great example of how not to do the internet: try for a pithy comment, with a bit of cynical sarcasm, and then out. Perhaps you can try again with a bit of actual commentary, using the basic writing skills learned in middle school (assuming you're at least a HS-aged person - also, YEA! I can do pithy, cynical comments too but they have a little bit more heft coming after a legit commentary).

This message brought to you by Monday morning, pre-coffee...

Oh for crying out loud do we have to launch a personal attack every single time there's a post we disagree with? I agree that the changes made recently have not been for the better. Narration is not necessary, is almost always vapid, and detracts in a big way from the real talent of the musicians. I don't care if every corps does it every year. That doesn't make it any better. Same with the thunderous synths. So attack me.

Judging. That's what happened. " Faster, Faster" and a "Zillion notes" is no longer judged like it once was. I too miss the " We can Do it better while marching backwards" Cadets!

if you just accept that crown (key staff comprised extensively of "golden age" cadets) is the new cadets, it makes it easier to root for crown!

Oh for crying out loud do we have to launch a personal attack every single time there's a post we disagree with? I agree that the changes made recently have not been for the better. Narration is not necessary, is almost always vapid, and detracts in a big way from the real talent of the musicians. I don't care if every corps does it every year. That doesn't make it any better. Same with the thunderous synths. So attack me.

youre right but it also doesnt mean its bad either. Maybe not done well by some, maybe most at this time, just like a bad guard or horn or drum line. These newer things are here to stay , I have no doubt of that, so maybe after all this time one can critique ( if they want ) if something is done well or not , and not if it should be or not. That ship has sailed, for the good or bad of it.

Edited by GUARDLING

lol this is C3H5N3O9 in certain circles. hope there's no unexplained detonations tonight :-)

True.

if you just accept that crown (key staff comprised extensively of "golden age" cadets) is the new cadets, it makes it easier to root for crown!

You forgot that there's also Star staff, or staff taught by Star staff there too.

It was also true that Star had key staff comprised extensively of "golden age" Cadets too, so the circle is complete.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1